Decent Espresso Machines Shipping - Page 15

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

When do you expect your espresso machine from Decent Espresso?

Poll ended at April 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

In a matter of weeks
9%
Within the next 2 months
12%
Within the next 6 months
19%
Not sure
16%
Not interested
44%

Total votes: 68

Jake_G
Team HB

#141: Post by Jake_G »

Bring the banter over to the ramble, everyone is always welcome over there :wink:

I'll bow out of here for now unless I think of something super decent-related.
LMWDP #704

roastini

#142: Post by roastini »

Jake_G wrote:I'll bow out of here for now unless I think of something super decent-related.
I have read some of your ramble thread, but won't claim to have fully processed it. But it does feed into some Decent thoughts I have had over the last few months, and I welcome any thoughts you have in response.

I agree that it likely is a good idea for your puck to be full saturated before pressure is applied. And I think low flow preinfusion also minimizes the likelihood of disturbance to the puck. That said, I suspect there is a point at which flow is so low (and preinfusion so slow) that it begins to have a negative effect on the espresso. I would posit that the highest flow for preinfusion that maintains the total amount of water used for preinfusion is a good target. Maximizing the total water during preinfusion implies one has fully saturated the puck, and if one is able to do so at a higher flow rate, I would take that as a good indication that the flow rate is not unduly affecting the puck's integrity.

So, although I don't (quite yet) have a Decent machine to test this on yet, I would posit that when dialing in a coffee/dose it might make sense first to set the flow rate for preinfusion very, very low with an exit based on increased pressure. This would allow a good estimate of how much water it takes to fully saturate the puck. Then, adjust the flow rate during preinfusion until the total water used during infusion drops.

Thereafter, if you are using a similar coffee (e.g., same beans, similar freshness, but from a different roast batch), one could assume that the flow rate previously determined is a good place to start, with perhaps some adjustments based on total water used for preinfusion, and/or for freshness of the beans.

I'm curious to test how well this works in practice, and to see what flow rates this methodology suggests are appropriate for preinfusion. And, of course, to taste the results.

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#143: Post by Jake_G »

I think this is a bloody good idea and a solid trial plan you have in place to test the hypothesis.

I find it interesting that preinfusion flow rates seem to be 4ml/sec on the profiles I've seen this far. Damien commented that this higher flow rate was due to the larger headspace on the decent machines. I suppose I would be tempted to use a basket and dose combo that resulted in a typical headspace, but perhaps that would require a dosing funnel and acrobatic up-dosing to achieve?

I think the pressure ramp is a good discerning point to end the preinfusion, but the real indicator of a saturated puck (or I suppose the end of preinfusion) is wetting the basket. It will be interesting to see if there is congruence between these two events, and if so, what pressure rise signifies a filly wetted puck. Obviously, this depends on the puck integrity and the flow rate during preinfusion, but I suppose the real question is "does wetting occur at peak pressure, after peak pressure, or at some consistent fraction thereof, or does it appear to be wholly unrelated?". And does knowing any of this translate to better results in the cup?

These are questions you and your Decent can help answer...

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

roastini

#144: Post by roastini »

Jake_G wrote:I find it interesting that preinfusion flow rates seem to be 4ml/sec on the profiles I've seen this far. Damien commented that this higher flow rate was due to the larger headspace on the decent machines. I suppose I would be tempted to use a basket and dose combo that resulted in a typical headspace, but perhaps that would require a dosing funnel and acrobatic up-dosing to achieve?
As it so happens, I'm getting a smaller basket with my machine. I already have an 18g Decent basket, and am getting a 15g basket with my DE1+. So I will have some ability to test the effect of headspace. It's not a single variable change, though - I'm told the holes on the 15g basket are smaller than on the 18g basket.

Tonefish

#145: Post by Tonefish »

roastini wrote:I would posit that the highest flow for preinfusion that maintains the total amount of water used for preinfusion is a good target. Maximizing the total water during preinfusion implies one has fully saturated the puck....
Hi Michael, I'm seeking to follow you here and I'm wondering if you could say the same thing only differently? Happy Pulls with your Decent!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

roastini

#146: Post by roastini »

Tonefish wrote:Hi Michael, I'm seeking to follow you hear and I'm wondering if you could say the same thing only differently? Happy Pulls with your Decent!
Sure.

First, there is some maximum amount of water the puck will hold without dripping, just as there is a maximum amount of water that a dry sponge will hold. To find this amount, we drip water in slowly. This allows the water to fill the puck my capillary action. So we do this to determine the maximum preinfusion volume. If you get drips out of your puck BEFORE preinfusing with this volume, you did not fully saturate the puck.

Second, what is the best period of time in which to complete preinfusion? One possibility is that you want it to be as long as possible. This seems highly unlikely, as you will extract from different parts of the puck at wildly different levels, because parts of the puck will wet earlier and thus start extracting earlier.

It seems more likely to me that you want to saturate the puck as rapidly as you can, while ensuring that you do, in fact, fully saturate it.

So you could just pump water as fast as possible. But doing that likely will result in filling the headroom long before the puck is full saturated. Pressure will rise, and likely you will disturb the uniformity of the puck, leading to a suboptimal shot.

But through experimentation, one should be able to determine a maximum preinfusion flow rate that fully saturates the puck before the puck drips.

My theory is that this is the magic preinfusion rate for a given coffee/grind/dose - the quickest way to get the ideal saturated puck.

It may be that this doesn't exist - that as the preinfusion rate slows, the saturation volume asymptotically approaches a maximum, meaning that any increase in flow rate reduces the water absorbed before dripping begins. Or it could be that it does exist, but still requires an absurdly slow preinfusion rate.

If either of those are true, the ideal rate might be a fuzzier concept.

And determining which of these is true experimentally is hard, because slight difference in distribution or tamp could affect the experimental results.

But it seems worth exploring.

Jake_G
Team HB

#147: Post by Jake_G »

BobStern wrote:The square law relationship is true for fluid flow through a pipe or other frictionless path. I believe the relationship is linear when the flow rate is limited primarily by friction through a medium such as a coffee puck.
I owe you an apology.

You are absolutely right. The square of the flow relationship would be related to the pressure drop of 2ml/sec flowing through a 58mm pipe, which would obviously be immeasurably low. While doubling the flow would increase that pressure by a factor of 4, the result would still be basically zero. The back pressure is generated by the puck as a result of the friction losses as the water flows through the puck, as you point out. These losses are not necessarily linear in a coffee puck, but certainly the square of the flow law is not applicable. I don't know what I was thinking :oops:

Reading my response I realize I came off as a bit of an elitist. It's never my intention to set that kind of tone with anyone, but certainly not with this group of folks for whom I have the utmost respect and from whom I have learned so much. Definitely not trying to burn any bridges!

All that said, our pucks are compressible in nature and increased pressure does not yield a proportionate increase in flow once the compressive force of the water flow starts compacting the lowest layer of the puck. I'm not sure that there is much bounce back after intense pressure is applied, which is one of many reasons why having an OPV is a good idea... To your point about tempering the pump response to tame oscillations in pressure, I think perhaps an asymmetric response could yield good results, with rapid drops in pump output to avoid opening channels, but a slow increase in pump output to avoid hammering the puck on the upstroke...

Just a thought.

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Advertisement
vit

#148: Post by vit »

Jake_G wrote:Damien commented that this higher flow rate was due to the larger headspace on the decent machines. I suppose I would be tempted to use a basket and dose combo that resulted in a typical headspace, but perhaps that would require a dosing funnel and acrobatic up-dosing to achieve?
There is air above the puck at the beginning, that needs to be compressed by water, so bigger the headspace more water needed for that I think ...

Tonefish

#149: Post by Tonefish »

roastini wrote: First, there is some.maximum amount of water the puck will hold without dripping, ...
...Second, what is the best period of time in which complete to preinfusion? ...
...But it seems worth exploring.
Got it. Thanks Michael!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

MrEd

#150: Post by MrEd »

Jake_G wrote:I think the pressure ramp is a good discerning point to end the preinfusion, but the real indicator of a saturated puck (or I suppose the end of preinfusion) is wetting the basket. It will be interesting to see if there is congruence between these two events, and if so, what pressure rise signifies a filly wetted puck. Obviously, this depends on the puck integrity and the flow rate during preinfusion, but I suppose the real question is "does wetting occur at peak pressure, after peak pressure, or at some consistent fraction thereof, or does it appear to be wholly unrelated?". And does knowing any of this translate to better results in the cup?
- Jake
I've done a little investigating of this question. Unfortunately right now it is not trivial because it is hard to watch the charts and the basket at the same time. The only way I've found is to make a movie from an angle that captures the charts on the top of the screen, and the basket in the mirror at the bottom of the backsplash. I've attached a final shot chart from the one movie I made, and marked on it when I saw the first drops appearing. As you can see, wetting occurred after pressure rise began (at about 2 bar), but a second or so before the end of preinfusion was triggered at 4 bar (the vertical line). [This was a pressure profile rising to 8.4 bar, holding 8 seconds, then declining, as shown by the dotted green line. Ignore the pale colored lines. The weird pressure profile number in the lower right is one of those tedious bugs that is now corrected]

I discussed making this process easier with John Buckman, and suggested having the machine optionally make beep sound at profile transitions. This way you could video the basket directly, and sync the chart to the video later. I suspect some variant of this will be incorporated in a future software update.