Decent Espresso Machines Shipping - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

When do you expect your espresso machine from Decent Espresso?

Poll ended at April 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

In a matter of weeks
9%
Within the next 2 months
12%
Within the next 6 months
19%
Not sure
16%
Not interested
44%

Total votes: 68

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by rhtrevino »

mauijer wrote:Glad to hear; I believe other forums said "spring" ship date so hopefully I'll have my hands on one in the next few months. I will certainly post my impression once it arrives.
Likewise, I was lucky to get into the initial batch of 300 machines. I sprung for the entire amount up front which puts me in the first ~90 or so that will ship to the US in advance of UL certification. This will be my first espresso machine (aside from a handful of Nespresso variants) so I'm very excited for it to arrive.

Headala

#12: Post by Headala »

So who all pre-ordered a DE1/+/Pro? I put down 50% but I know a lot of you guys put down 100% for a pre-release model.

The shipping date is getting close :D

compellingrich

#13: Post by compellingrich »

Here! Can't wait to get my Pro.

DJF

#14: Post by DJF »

I put down the 50. I wonder what the main difference will be between pre-release.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by rhtrevino »

According to conversations I've had with John and his posts on other forums, the pre-release version will not be (or able to be) UL certified. He is currently working with Intertek in Hong Kong on the remaining items preventing the DE machine from attaining UL certification. There is a list of minor items that should be incorporated into all machines, including pre-release, but there is one large outstanding discrepancy related to the use of a BT-connected tablet as a "controller" and the safety associated with an untethered device that can enable scalding hot water.

Pre-release versions may ship in advance of this determination but the others will wait until UL cert.

HB
Admin

#16: Post by HB »

Headala wrote:So who all pre-ordered a DE1/+/Pro?
As you requested offline, I've added a poll to this thread where pre-order customers can indicate when they expect their shipment to arrive.
Dan Kehn

Headala

#17: Post by Headala replying to HB »

Thanks, Dan!

I'm curious to see if we have a lot of early adopters, etc. here on HB

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by jwCrema »

I am in the initial 300 machines for a DE1+ and I've been following progress Coffee Forums UK after he was shutdown here. Two days ago he posted a picture of the parts for the machine stock piled in their offices on a forum in that site, and stated the following.
OUR PLAN FOR THE NEXT SEVEN MONTHS
Our immediate goal is to achieve 2.5 machines shipped per day through March and April, so that we ship 100 espresso machines in those two months.

By May, I hope that we'll be able to achieve 5 machines shipped per day so that in May/June we'll have concluded building all 300 of the DE1 v1.0 machines (which have all been pre-ordered).

This will coincide with parts arriving in July for the next batch of espresso machines, in quantity=1000. In March, we'll be taking orders for that batch, which I hope will sell out.
I do understand HB's position and also understand why people here thought this project would not see the light of day. Ironing out product engineering and quality issues in a tiny, but complex supply chain is not easy, or quick to resolve. I have worked in Asia I thought he was optimistic on his ship dates, but he's making the right decisions at every step. He could have easily changed the drip tray from ceramic after finding out how difficult mass producing precision ceramics are, but he stuck with it and solved it.

I PM'd John a long time ago to let me buy a machine he toured with, with full knowledge of its flaws. He would not take my money. I've tracked what he's done on the product side, downloaded and tested the code that will run the machine on my laptop, I could not be more impressed with what he's accomplished.

As an aside I found a Olympia Express Club that is in transit, and will have three machines for a while. A Cremina, Club, and DE1+

HB
Admin

#19: Post by HB »

jwCrema wrote:I am in the initial 300 machines for a DE1+ and I've been following progress Coffee Forums UK after he was shutdown here... I do understand HB's position and also understand why people here thought this project would not see the light of day.
There are plenty of lessons to be learned on all sides of this project, that's for certain. In any case, I contacted John when this thread started and asked if he was ready to make an "official statement" about the shipping date as I suggested last July. He said no, not yet. I'm looking forward to his firm commitment on a ship date beyond beta testers and insiders.
Dan Kehn

DJF

#20: Post by DJF »

jwCrema wrote:I am in the initial 300 machines for a DE1+ and I've been following progress Coffee Forums UK after he was shutdown here. +
Can also be followed at CSnobs but basically the same as CFUK except for some different Q & A. I'll be attending MICE in March where John will have the DE1+. I suspect it will be difficult getting anywhere near John or the machine.. :roll:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."