Decent Espresso Machine - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Longlong14

#11: Post by Longlong14 »

I'd pull the trigger if the de1 has a flow meter built-in.

Nate42

#12: Post by Nate42 »

What is the total height of machine plus tablet in the tablet on top configuration seen in most photos? Sorry if this has already asked, but I did look. :)

Advertisement
Séb

#13: Post by Séb »

IUespresso wrote: What is the difference between the early access and the final version?

Due to it shipping from HK, will there be an import tax (like the L-1, etc)?

Cheers!

Michael
Here is a quote from John, just from the previous page:
"There will be minor differences between the UL tested version and the early access version, which prevents the UL approval from being applied to those earlier machines. For instance, the group head on the early access machines will be CNCed, whereas the final versions will be made from cast metal. Functionally, they will be virtually identical, but the change does mean that UL approval would need to be sought all over again, for the early access version."

They do ship from HK and if you add the machine into your cart, you will then see the total price including the shipping and the duty if there are some. At least, this is what it does for me from Canada when i put one into my cart.

IUespresso

#14: Post by IUespresso »

Thanks for the reply. Forgive my ignorance, but what does UL approval mean?

Thanks,

Michael

Séb

#15: Post by Séb »

michael wrote:Is the DE+ plummable or only the pro
If you go on their website, you will see a new Pro kit option that have just been added. This is available for both the DE and the DE+ and gives you the plummable option plus few nice things like the heavy duty component, drainage, catering kit, etc.. I'd like to say thanks to John for this nice option even if this is expensive because for peoples like me who run a very small roasting business it will be the perfect option to a DE1!

Will it be possible to put this catering kit into the machine's casing John? Also, will you offer a dedicated casing for the grinder just like the barista kit casing? Would be nice and would certainy get it so that everything is easely transportable and nice and clean, make for a true professional catering kit!

It would be nice to add some closeup picture of your grinder and if possible maybe a video to show how to recalibrate the burrs or replace them. Also, some specs like how many pounds of coffee they are rated, etc... Are you planning in the future to add a bluetooth communication between the scale and the grinder to avoid the need for pulsing the ON/OFF switch? Edit: just find out that it is indeed planned for a later release,good to know!

Last question, is there some "room" inside the barista casing or machine's casing to add some optional component like the double spout PF, the knockbox, etc?

Thanks a lot, you've done a hell of a lot to bring this project and i will soon be a true supporter for sure. The DE1 Pro is now the perfect machine for my small business. Merci John ;)

Séb

#16: Post by Séb »

IUespresso wrote:Thanks for the reply. Forgive my ignorance, but what does UL approval mean?

Thanks,

Michael
Google is your friend :wink:
http://www.ul.com/marks/ul-listing-and- ... h-america/

IUespresso

#17: Post by IUespresso »

Google can be a friend and also an enemy. :lol:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

This follow up is for John: What are the risks to the consumer if they were to purchase a machine without the UL approval? Is that an extra step Decent is taking or is this something all machines need?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Séb

#18: Post by Séb replying to IUespresso »

You are right about Google, i agree :D

John have responded with details about the UL approval, see post #207 two pages before, someone did ask for this. That's the problem with long thread, sometimes answers have been given but we can't remember and not a lot of person read all pages which is normal.

IUespresso

#19: Post by IUespresso »

Thanks! Powered through 22 pages last night...may have been half awake when I passed that page.

CoffeeMac

#20: Post by CoffeeMac »

As a former ZPM backer, I've been following Decent fairly closely. It looks very cool and innovative. Really creative, out-of-the-box thinking. If I were in the market for a new machine, it would be near the top of my list of machines to look at. However after 5+ years, my La Spaz Vivaldi II is still going strong, so no pressing need to move to the Decent. Upgrade-itis may step in once I start seeing user reviews, though... lol

This got me to think about potential long-term reliability/serviceability of the Decent. There are plenty of 50+ year-old Italian espresso machines still chugging along. Will the Decent machine have that type of lifespan? In particular, if (heaven forbid) Decent isn't around in 20 years, what would you do if the tablet died? Sure you could get a new tablet, but how would you get the software installed/running? Or, are we moving to a more iPhone/consumer-electronics approach to espresso machines where you discard/upgrade your machine every few years?
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706