Review of beta Decent Espresso DE1PRO+

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Just landed today. This specific unit has been the test unit of the Pro+ that has been on John's bench for several months. Not one of the one-week beta testers, I'll have this unit for an extended period of time to do a thorough review for our readers.

Stay tuned for more, I'm just waiting on one more order of coffee that should have already arrived.

I invite any other beta-testers to share their thoughts here as well.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

As my five year old would say.... "Hey no fair!"

:mrgreen:
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

Hey Tom I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Is that the Skale...er....scale you have in front of it? Will you be testing the gravimetric features as well?

waroros

#4: Post by waroros »

looking forward to this. game changing, if it could deliver just 80% of its promise.
Let's get it slayed

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Headala wrote:Hey Tom I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Is that the Skale...er....scale you have in front of it? Will you be testing the gravimetric features as well?
Yes and yes.

One thing to mention, I've got some homework to go thru, since the first demo model (pre-beta) back in 2016 was a bit different and I didn't drill down deep into that one, I just played around with it a bit and Dan (Kehn), John and I had a few shots. This will be a much more extensive test. This unit came in the solid suitcase and I opened it up shortly before running out of the door for work, I didn't even turn the scale on.

My schedule opens up after tonight (graveyard shifts :evil: ), so I'll be getting started shortly.

AssafL

#6: Post by AssafL »

Looking forward to reading how you work out the best profile per coffee/roast.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#7: Post by mivanitsky »

If this thing actually has the controllability it claims to have, it will add a couple of extra dimensions to the extraction space matrix. If these things actually matter, which I suspect they do, it will take a long time to sort out all the variables. Maybe we will need "espresso string theory." Infinite adjustment and gravimetry may just make a difference.

Like everyone else here, I await your reports with interest.

doublehelix

#8: Post by doublehelix replying to mivanitsky »

Agreed! Be great to have a measurement module--refractive index, conductivity, subjective tasting,.... for creating large datasets that will feed machine learning approaches. More data would come from connected machines on the cloud.... Might work better with "standards" (perhaps, non-coffee ones) that would be run on each machine. Personal parameters would then be optimized to an individual's taste preference. I'll stop there and avoid going down the rabbit hole any further with thoughts that many here have already expressed......but such testing is probably being done at Decent?

roastini

#9: Post by roastini »

In the world of small things, I'm curious how well the angled bottom of the backsplash works for viewing the bottomless portafilter during shots. The pic offers a nice hint!

(In the world of unrelated points, I wonder what you think of that Hooker Oak Apple PIe rum.)

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'll mainly be posting here and on Instagram. Short video clips will pop up there occasionally, like this one.

Here's two very early observations I've noted right off the bat: the start up time from cold is really going to be appreciated by users (4.5 minutes approximately) and I'm not sure if regular buyers will receive a paper owners manual or if it's streamlined into all digital copy, but I didn't receive either, and I'm not sure I even need one. The tablet menu and submenu design is highly intuitive and well laid out.

I like the option to select from pre-designed shot profiles quite easily, and then can quickly modify them to suit my goals and pull the shot.

The only hiccup that prevented me from pulling shots in the middle of the night was that the tablet died and needed to be charged from a separate system. I'm not sure if that's the case with all units to come, or if it was unique to this unit. But it's not charging from the short tether built into the system.

I'm all charged up now, and I have several days off to start a deeper dive into the DE1PRO+.