Decent DE1+ vs Modded Breville Dual Boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jevenator

Postby jevenator » Jul 11, 2019, 1:20 am

I would really like to see some discussion about this. I understand these are different machines (I feel like Decent is in its own complete category now based upon all my reading) but I'm curious to hear what people have to say about how these two machines compare. I've seen some talk here and there in existing threads so it'd be nice to see it as it's own conversation,

It's good to mention the stock BDB but I think about the "slayer" mod that is possible to do with the BDB which our community here has a large thread about already would be a better comparison to mainly allow that pressure profiling for the light roast extractions.

I'm in a position where I kind of "won" the crypto lottery and can buy a BDB outright and have money left of over or put in some extra amount of money (still close to a grand after shipping and taxes) towards a DE1+.
No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
― C.S. Lewis

Quester

Postby Quester » Jul 11, 2019, 7:59 am

I have both—different worlds.

The modified Breville DBD is simple—in the first few minutes I was pulling shots with lighter roasts I couldn't pull with my GS3 AV. But one of the things that's cool about the Decent DE1 is what you learn about pulling a shot you can't "see" without the graphing. And some of the profiles I've explored—amazing.

The downside of the DE1 for some people is complexity. I happen to love that aspect, but it can be maddening. Without having a lot of experience pulling shots, and having great prep, profiling on the DE1 gets some people lost in the woods.

jevenator

Postby jevenator » replying to Quester » Jul 14, 2019, 4:45 pm

That's very interesting to hear that a modded BDB would pull better shots than the GS3.

Complexity can always be a blessing or a curse depending on the person you are. I'd rather have the ability to manipulate the variables than not though.
― C.S. Lewis

Jake_G
Team HB

Postby Jake_G » replying to jevenator » Yesterday, 12:13 am

My Rancilio S20 (commercial HX machine) that I modded with needle valve flow control handily outperformed my GS/3 in stock trim. What the GS/3 gives you out of the box is rock solid consistency. Bad shots are a function of how well dialed in a coffee is, rather than a one off experience. Once a coffee is dialed in, it's more or less the same, every time with a GS/3. Even so, the shots off my modded machine were consistently tastier.

Now that the GS/3 is profiling, too. The S20 is lonely. Its boiler has been empty for the last few weeks, and truthfully I don't miss it, even if I have a soft spot for it for the sake of nostalgia. The point is that a machine like the BDB, which offers stability akin to a GS/3 out of the box would likely have no trouble besting a stock GS/3 in terms of flexibility and squeezing really tasty flavors out of brighter and more complex beans.

Cheers!

- Jake

jevenator

Postby jevenator » Today, 12:07 am

That's really crazy to think about really. Cause it's a $7500 machine vs $1000 machine.

Back to the topic though, the DE1 would already have everything you would possibly could do to the BDB and makes it much easier to replicate and be more consistent.

Is there any advantages to the BDB other than price and ability to steam at the same time as a shot?
― C.S. Lewis