Decent DE1 - remote tablet running Google Home possible?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Deephaven

#1: Post by Deephaven »

I've searched and failed. Contemplating a DE1, but the WAF is ruined by the tablet sitting on top....amusingly, we currently have a Google Home in the kitchen. I asked if we got rid of that and mounted the DE1 tablet into the cabinet door in the kitchen above it if she would approve and I got a big thumbs up. I know I can move the tablet remotely, but wasn't sure if it has to be a dedicated tablet for the DE1 or if we could use other Android features/software when not pulling coffee?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

The DE1 app is not an Android app. It needs to run on a device on which you can install the third-party AndroWish application with access to Bluetooth services. The coding style of de1app does not handle multitasking well.

Deephaven (original poster)

#3: Post by Deephaven (original poster) »

Androwish isn't an app then either? ie, no way it can do both. They wouldn't have to be simultaneous as needing to have GH control lights/music etc is not something that would have to happen while pulling a shot, but it would of course make the tablet seem more logical in the kitchen if it could do something else while not.

...realistically beyond the GH it would be a screen saver and recipe front end. From your post it sounds like that is not possible unless I misunderstood.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

AndroWish is a TCL (Terminal Control Language) interpreter that is not, as far as I know, available in the Google App Store. Last I checked, it was unsigned.

There's a lot of processes running on an Android device that hasn't had the Google apps and core removed. It is not a good platform for trying to run real-time monitoring and control, especially using a scripting language from the days of 9600-baud modems that lacks core functionality of sane programming languages.

MNate

#5: Post by MNate »

All indications seem to be run nothing else on the tablet, don't even load your google stuff.

But there really is no problem not having the tablet on the top and throwing it in a drawer and only look at it occasionally. Basic functions can be done through the GHC. But if you like to change profiles frequently or look at your metrics then the tablet is nice to have somewhat in view, even if you just open a drawer to see it.

Yeah, the tablet is quite basic looking, which is too abd. But that's going to be the nature of it.

HH

#6: Post by HH »

You can load your photos on it and run them as a screensaver with no problems, there is a folder in the DE1 programme for just this purpose.

Deephaven (original poster)

#7: Post by Deephaven (original poster) »

Wired into the drawer may make the most sense. I will change profiles when I change coffee, but the W would like to just be able to repeat whatever I have things set at. Thanks for the details - when I saw Android tablet I was thinking I could kill a couple birds with one stone but having it be dedicated to the machine is also fine.

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

The connection is Bluetooth, only power goes through that cable. A better tablet is a good idea as the ones DE supply have significant problems with the batteries swelling.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

Deephaven wrote:I know I can move the tablet remotely, but wasn't sure if it has to be a dedicated tablet for the DE1 or if we could use other Android features/software when not pulling coffee?
Just to clarify: the answer to this is YES. The DE1 app runs on (almost) any Android tablet. There is no need to remove Google software. (My DE1 tablets have all had Chrome, Google Play Store, etc. installed.) As Jeff points out, the tablet communicates with the DE1 via Bluetooth, so there is no need to keep it plugged in. Recharge with any USB charger when the battery runs low.

However, common sense suggests that you dedicate the ($100) tablet to the ($3500+) DE1. Stick it in a drawer if necessary, but I concur with Henry's suggestion: run it as a screensaver with your favorite photos when not pulling shots.
John