Decent 1+ year on

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
smite

#1: Post by smite »

I just thought I would post an update after owning my Decent version 1.0 for a year plus. It has been an interesting and somewhat humbling experience. Humbling in that it has forced me to pay close attention to my technique after many years of pulling amazing shots on all manner of machines. The software and firmware has matured with regular updates and great support from the company. In fact they sent out a care package to all version 1.0 owners that included several items that they improved on as part of the 1.1 machine etc. I know they are going to be releasing the 1.3 machine fairly soon and thought I would at least provide some additional information since the Decent owners forum is somewhat closed and there is a huge amount of great dialogue and information sharing including community developed skins, modifications, and of course profiles that emulate many types of machines.

The machine itself has really matured via frequent updates to the software and the firmware.

There are some amazing features that they have been able to add to fully take advantage of the hardware and sensors built into the machine even going back to #1 for example just by software and firmware updates over the Internet.

You can fine tune so many details of the machine including highly customized shots, steam functions, hot water and through skins automation such as auto flush following pulling a shot and while steaming.

I feel bad for posting so many pictures but I am really pleased with the quality of the shots that this machine can deliver.

I have been able to get taste profiles from coffees that really bring out so many layers of flavor that other machines just couldn't deliver. It is really like owning 100+ machines in 1 since you can create custom profiles that emulate the profiles on so many different types of machines in an automated repeatable manner while including automation to help keep shots from going awry.

Say hello to my kitty hiding the picture.

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

You can order Version 1.3 now and it looks amazing.. It can work without the tablet .. and steam is quite a bit stronger, I think..

By the time it gets to Canada its pretty expensive, but still less than the D.Corte, Slayer and LM. It's on my wish list.. but I need a good grinder first.

smite (original poster)

#3: Post by smite (original poster) replying to Bluenoser »

Its a great machine. On a 1.0 I never noticed any issue with a lack of steam power and I have used huge commercial machines.

N6GQ

#4: Post by N6GQ »

I just ordered a DE yesterday (v1.3). They're saying about a month til delivery. Should coincide roughly with a new MAX grinder coming too. I love my Londinium but am intrigued with the many profiles and emulation of other machines that I couldn't resist trying the DE. Time will tell if I keep the LR or keep the DE, or maybe keep both? I don't know. Who knows, I might make a great sale package deal - MonoFlatSSP+LR? Hmm.

Either way, yes, I wish the owners forum was more open - I guess at some point I'll get access to start reading there too. Thanks for the pics and commentary!
LMWDP #614

billt

#5: Post by billt »

smite wrote:Its a great machine. On a 1.0 I never noticed any issue with a lack of steam power and I have used huge commercial machines.
Steaming is undoubtedly faster on machines with a big boiler, but the DE consistently makes high quality microfoam and it will do it with no user intervention if you use a consistent quantity of milk and the steam timer.

I've had mine for about 18 months and I can't see me changing unless it breaks irreparably.

smite (original poster)

#6: Post by smite (original poster) »

N6GQ wrote:I just ordered a DE yesterday (v1.3). They're saying about a month til delivery. Should coincide roughly with a new MAX grinder coming too. I love my Londinium but am intrigued with the many profiles and emulation of other machines that I couldn't resist trying the DE. Time will tell if I keep the LR or keep the DE, or maybe keep both? I don't know. Who knows, I might make a great sale package deal - MonoFlatSSP+LR? Hmm.

Either way, yes, I wish the owners forum was more open - I guess at some point I'll get access to start reading there too. Thanks for the pics and commentary!
I am sure you will get access to the forums pretty soon. I think once they are a little closer to shipping your machine they will send you a welcome email and an invite.

There is a great profile that emulates the Londinium R, created by Damian B who is a prolific member from the community who also creates one of the best skins for the app that beyond visuals provides some amazing added functionality.

Here is a link to his projects:

https://www.diy.brakel.com.au/author/Damian/

Damian, if for some reason you don't want your site link posted here please let me know and I will remove it...

This is one example of some of the great things possible with this platform. There is very much an open source, maker space mindset of the community due to the nature of the platform that Decent has created and encouraged.

There are so many cool things that the community is doing, it is too many to list here. I can only imagine what will come over the next few years.

N6GQ

#7: Post by N6GQ »

Good stuff, thanks for the pointer to Damian's site - looking forward to trying the profiles!
LMWDP #614

dale_cooper

#8: Post by dale_cooper »

Always good to hear long term updates from owners.

I've been fascinated by the company, and particularly how John has developed the product. Really love companies like decent.

I thought I was done with a big espresso machine sitting on my counter buttttt I couldn't resist the temptation, and I decided to order a de1pro v1.1 as a little gift for myself. It should be here by friday! Didn't opt for v1.3 as I think the 1.1 will be sufficient for me and I tend to not believe I need the ability to profile on the fly.

I think one of the coolest features of the DE1 machine is the size, and the suitcase if I ever want to take it with me on vacation. In that sense, it nearly stands alone.

Shenrei

#9: Post by Shenrei »

I have ordered one as well. Half of the reason why is due to the small footprint and suitcase.
- Tim

smite (original poster)

#10: Post by smite (original poster) »

Agreed the footprint is pretty compact and the rolling suitcase it comes with really makes portability much more feasible.