Thanks for the comments. I append my own in addition.
radu wrote:I was wondering how many people are using the new firmware / mobile app for the Mina. I managed to get a beta version of the iPhone app, but the Android app has been published a while ago, as @YarivK pointed out in the Mina thread a while ago.
From what I've seen:
1. The real time flow rate display on the home screen is really useful.
2. The DFR steps are actual values of the no portafilter flow rate in ml/s (g/s). Plus the auto calibrate function is a bit smarter.
3. You can finally turn off the steam boiler. It takes 3 and a half minutes for the brew boiler to get from room temp to nominal temp at my home. Plus I'm not boiling 3 litres of water if I'm not planning to steam milk.
4. There is no timer on the home screen in Manual mode, at least for now. I've asked them and they say it'll be fixed in a future update. You can see the shot time in the Info module, if Service (not User) is selected from the About module.
1. I completely agree. I have learned much by looking at it. In particular, how slow the response time is with the puck in place (I guess I could have guessed this from the pressure change)
2. I actually find that the flow rate displayed by the machine does not match exactly the dfr value I set (it is in the neighberhood). Is your read matching the setting spot on?
4. Yes, this is annoying.
What I'd like:
1. Logs. A log with all the extractions I've pulled. It's frustrating to clean the group head and lose the shot time.
2. Graphs. Even though the Mina motherboard doesn't know the brew pressure, a flow rate / time graph would be useful. And saved with every log entry.
3. A "scale" just like on the XT. Just press a button on the display when the first drop comes out of the portafilter and it starts displaying the quantity of water (coffee) that's gone out of it. You can set a target weight and it'll stop the extraction when it's reached it. On the XT it works great, so I don't see why it wouldn't be available for the Mina. The XT and Mina use the same flow meter, so there is no technological barrier. It's just that somebody has to actually make it.
4. An optional hardware display, even if it's of a small size, like the Studio, in order to get a minimal shot info without connecting a phone.
5. Autoconnect to the latest Mina the app was connected. The fact that I have to click to connect is annoying. If you'd just open the app and it'd connect by itself, it'd be a little better.
All these additions will be great. In particualr, I feel that not having a graph of the flow rate is a bit lazy. I am sure I would learn a lot.
One other thing I notice with the new update is that the bluetooth disconnects quickly. I hope they fix this soon.
What's everyone's usual routine with the Mina? Are my "wants" just mine, or are they also shared with other users? What would you add to the list?
Recently I have started leaving the machine on all the time (recommended by a technician here, but I still have my doubts). I also wish there was a large data base of recommended profiles for different types of coffee. While I am happy with what I am getting now and can roughly gauge for the different profiles for different types of coffee I am sure that there are baristas/users which have more experience than me. Many time I run out of the bean I am using before I feel I have set it optimally
I am very happy with the machine.