Dalla Corte 58mm Kit

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
radu

#1: Post by radu »

So, it's been a couple of weeks since I got the Dalla Corte 58mm kit for the Mina. It's actually the same kit for all Dalla Corte machines, since the grouphead is identical. I just made a short video for fun.
The diameter is a bit smaller than the standard 58mm grouphead. A regular VST basket has a 70mm outer diameter, and the Dalla Corte IMS 58mm baskets are 68mm on the outer rim. So a regular VST can't fit the Dalla Corte machine. The baskets that come with the kit have a narrower outer rim.

My plan is to buy a VST basket and cut 1mm from the outer rim. Since it is past the contact point with the grouphead gasket, the excess metal I'd cut won't make any difference. The kit contains 1 double spouted portafilter, one 18g basket, one 20g basket, one blind basket, a water disperser and shower screen plus the screw to hold them in.

It takes one minute to change from the 54mm to the 58mm. And you can do it with the machine turned on, just be careful with the hot parts you're removing from the machine.

The kit has a good presentation, although useless after you install it. It is about 240€, and I find it a shame it doesn't include a naked portafilter as well. Or at least the option to buy one. I got an extra double spouted pf and I'll cut the bottom out next week.

I had a 58mm kit before it was launched, for about a week. My local DC dealer had one for testing purposes and, since there are close to no Mina users in Bucharest, gave it to me for a while. I seem to be getting better control over the acidity on the 58mm. But I also changed my technique a bit, so more testing is needed. It's too early to tell if it's just the enthusiasm of a new tool, or an actual difference.

I'll update this thread once I do some head to head testing with the 54mm. And, also, I'm curious about other users (if any) of the 58mm.
LMWDP #616

YarivK

#2: Post by YarivK »

Thanks for the very nice description. I am looking forward to hearing if you think it is worth the upgrade!

def

#3: Post by def »

Wow, very nice video -- you must know a bit about photography and videography.

radu (original poster)

#4: Post by radu (original poster) »

Glad you like it :) I don't know much about video, but I am a commercial photographer, so that helps.
LMWDP #616

YarivK

#5: Post by YarivK »

Hi, Anyone using the 58mm kit can suggest if it is worth getting? I am thinking of ordering one.

YarivK

#6: Post by YarivK »

Silly question here. I got the 58 mm kit. Can anybody tell me what side of the brass plate is up (or alternatively, which side is touching the screen).

Thanks in advance.

def

#7: Post by def »

I just switched from 58mm to 54mm (LSM spring lever). The 54mm or perhaps it is really 55mm seems OK to me now that I have found different baskets. Is there a reason you feel the need to switch to 58mm for the DCM?

YarivK

#8: Post by YarivK »

In all honesty, I am not sure that it was not a waste of money. I was very happy with the 54mm. The coffee is as good as I ever had anywhere. However, there are so many people with such strong opinions, saying that 58mm is much better, that I felt like I should give it a try. Just in case I am missing something significant. Once I play with it for a while I will have a better opinion. At the moment I consider this a temporary loss of sanity :)

CTbarista

#9: Post by CTbarista »

Hi. I switched to the 58mm. It's a nice set-up and a bit easier to find compatible accessories. That said, it does not come with a bottomless PF. Has anyone found a high quality, bottomless PF that works with the 58mm?

truemagellen

#10: Post by truemagellen »

Can you compare Crema and mouthfeel?