Dalla Corte 58mm Kit - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Thermosiphon

#21: Post by Thermosiphon »

FWIW, I got my Mina shipped with the 58mm kit included but have found the 54mm setup to be more reliable from shot to shot. For reasons I can't explain, it also seems the flow rate from the grouphead is more accurate with the 54mm kit attached (even though the flow rate sensor and output to the group all happens upstream of it).

I have had some amazing geisha and catui varietals from Panama recently that tasted so sweet and complex with the deepest 54mm basket and a dose of 20g.

I made a makeshift thermofilter basket for the 54mm size and found a delta of 2.5C from brew boiler temperature to temperature at the shower screen. So I keep my machine at 95.5 to 96C most of the time. I also find with the deepest stock 54mm basket that I end up tamping the puck down to almost half the depth of the basket.

I get some incredible results with the stock 54mm setup. I would bet if there's any difference, the stock setup is probably a little easier to use, as the machine was engineered around that grouphead configuration, which DC has been utilizing since they opened shop.

For distribution and tamping, GB Dos Santos in Brazil makes the Bravo tamper and also has a very clever distribution tool as well. I purchased both for about 2.5% of the cost of the Mina...well worth the investment. I will say, both tools I purchased were machined to 54.7mm and there is still a small gap when I distribute. IIRC the baskets measure 55.05mm so I would get a 55mm tool from him if you custom order.

Finally, the 58mm kit would be wonderful if they didn't go with a design which required 68mm baskets! What's the point of a 58mm kit if you can't use a VST basket...or really any basket except IMS.
Cheers,
Bill

Peter_SVK

#22: Post by Peter_SVK »

68mm baskets in 58mm kit are due to grouphead boiler design limits, i.e. this is maximal accepted diameter to fit into grouphead bayonet lock (I think they haven't thought about 58mm compatibility when designed 54mm grouphead in the past). If DC would like to allow 70mm baskets (VST, ...), they would have to redesign entire grouphead (plus new casting molds), including 54mm portafilters, so they rather stay with 68mm ones, which fit as they have found later (as a less paintful alternative :) ), IMO.

Advertisement
YarivK

#23: Post by YarivK »

Thermosiphon wrote:FWIW, I got my Mina shipped with the 58mm kit included but have found the 54mm setup to be more reliable from shot to shot. For reasons I can't explain, it also seems the flow rate from the grouphead is more accurate with the 54mm kit attached (even though the flow rate sensor and output to the group all happens upstream of it).

I have had some amazing geisha and catui varietals from Panama recently that tasted so sweet and complex with the deepest 54mm basket and a dose of 20g.

I made a makeshift thermofilter basket for the 54mm size and found a delta of 2.5C from brew boiler temperature to temperature at the shower screen. So I keep my machine at 95.5 to 96C most of the time. I also find with the deepest stock 54mm basket that I end up tamping the puck down to almost half the depth of the basket.

I get some incredible results with the stock 54mm setup. I would bet if there's any difference, the stock setup is probably a little easier to use, as the machine was engineered around that grouphead configuration, which DC has been utilizing since they opened shop.

For distribution and tamping, GB Dos Santos in Brazil makes the Bravo tamper and also has a very clever distribution tool as well. I purchased both for about 2.5% of the cost of the Mina...well worth the investment. I will say, both tools I purchased were machined to 54.7mm and there is still a small gap when I distribute. IIRC the baskets measure 55.05mm so I would get a 55mm tool from him if you custom order.

Finally, the 58mm kit would be wonderful if they didn't go with a design which required 68mm baskets! What's the point of a 58mm kit if you can't use a VST basket...or really any basket except IMS.

Thanks! This is interesting to read. I have been using the medium basket with 18. I'll try the 20 in the largest basket.

RobindG

#24: Post by RobindG »

Today I received the Edesia bottomless portafilter. It doesn't fit 58mm baskets, the wall is too thick.

RobindG

#25: Post by RobindG »

This is a small video clip of a standard 58mm basket (that has a 70mm outer rim) and my 58mm DC portafilter from the kit, which I had made bottomless. If you insert the portafilter in the group not straight, but a little inclined, it fits the group.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxLT3DZQ-s0

Peter_SVK

#26: Post by Peter_SVK »

Wow, I have no 58mm kit, but tested with standard 70/58mm basket itself and it really works! Awesome!

RobindG

#27: Post by RobindG »

Thermosiphon wrote:I get some incredible results with the stock 54mm setup. I would bet if there's any difference, the stock setup is probably a little easier to use, as the machine was engineered around that grouphead configuration, which DC has been utilizing since they opened shop.
When you first got the Mina you were not very enthusiastic. What did you change to get incredible results? What are your profiles now? What grinder do you use? What is your dose and brew ratio? Are you doing light, medium or dark roasts?

Thanks

Advertisement
UFGators

#28: Post by UFGators »

So VST baskets STILL wont work?

RobindG

#29: Post by RobindG »

Look my video in post #25. If you do it that way it fits.

RobindG

#30: Post by RobindG »