Custom part alternative - water tap

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tappedout

#1: Post by Tappedout »

The hot water tap on my 3 yr old Expobar Officer Lever (part 15000329) has internally corroded and requires replacement. The custom part has limited availability and quotes at $100 domestically or $65 including shipping from the UK. This is essentially a $10 valve.

Not to sound like a cheapskate amidst aficionados, but is there anything about the mechanics of an espresso machine's hot water tap I should be aware of that would prevent me from installing a generic tap valve as replacement?

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

Are you looking at changing the valve or the wand/diffuser?

Are you sure it absolutely needs to be replaced? Maybe post a picture?

If your machine is 3 years old and you've got such important internal damage in your hot water dispenser, I'd be primarily concerned about the boiler. If you don't use filtered water and you've got such hard water, who knows what it looks like in there....
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

Can you post the website where you located that part number and prices? Google images of Office Lever Expobar sure look like they have a valve that is common to many machines. If you only need some of the internal parts, they shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Tappedout (original poster)

#4: Post by Tappedout (original poster) »

Yes, it must be replaced. The bolt (within the knob) that closes the valve is stuck and made of some weak metal alloy which after taking a wrench to try to unloosen has rounded off. Other tools such as pliers flaked the metal apart.

I'd rather not name names as to who might be price gouging. One of them is perhaps the biggest domestic online dealer and despite this particular problem I appreciate their business. This may be a common problem for Expobar since that site shows the part under a different name at $15 out of stock--you have to call to get the $100 price.

I'm not posting a pic but there's pink-to-reddish residue within the part. I'm told this is an expected reaction with descaler and didn't cause the jam and won't corroded further, which I doubt.

I also doubt I have a boiler problem. I've used bottled water with a softener and descaled bimonthly. It's possible this happened because I only use that wand when descaling, allowing this clay-like substance to cake the inside of the pipe and build over time. The steam wand has no problem.

The wand doesn't need to fit the new generic valve.

I've looked at similar machine parts and the prices are similar--I recall a Rocket lookalike for perhaps $50.

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

Descaling bimonthly is WAY too much. Most companies don't even recommend descaling anymore. It seems people around here descale once a year at most (or only when working on restoration projects).

The pinkish residue is probably from the copper pipes being over exposed to descaling solution.

You can buy a hot water wand and diffuser for a different machine but you need the exact valve I believe.

I would advise you to post on the repair/restoration/mods forum. Lots of people with machine repair and metal chemistry knowledge.

Little things I've learnes along the way:
1. Always make sure to have the proper metric wrench.
2. You can grind the edges of your wrench to soften the edges and keep the chrome on your fittings nice and shiny.
3. Never apply hand pressure to the end of a wrench with your hand on stubborned fittings. Tap the end with a small hammer instead. It's a lifesaver trick.
4. No need to overtight anything on an espresso machine.
LMWDP #592