Curious: Espresso-only machines with a NanoFoamer Pro? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DerSchoeneBahnhof

#11: Post by DerSchoeneBahnhof »

sashaman wrote:Decided to take the plunge and try it out. The NanoFoamer Pro arrived today (was only a couple days from ordering to arrival) and honestly I couldn't be more impressed. This thing makes *perfect* microfoam with whole milk (I don't drink plant milks so can't comment on that), and it really is just pour and press a button. I've only had it a couple hours but I'm also incredibly impressed by its consistency with regards to the amount of aeration in the milk. That is, with a decent steam wand I can pretty much always make microfoam, but sometimes it's a little too aerated (too thick) or not enough based on my technique. With the NanoFoamer there are 5 aeration levels, and for me 1 (lowest level) or 2 are perfect - silky smooth every time. I plan to just use this with my Arrarex Caravel as my go-to from now on.

Also, the minor nitpicks I had seen in some on reviews are total non-issues for me. Its general construction is essentially exactly the same as a Nespresso Aeroccino and so the nits are the same:

1. If you don't clean it after every use some scalded milk will form on the bottom where the heating element is. Just rinsing it and wiping it with a paper towel worked fine for me.
2. The bottom of the pitcher has some exposed metal where it connects to the base that you shouldn't get wet or wash. This is the same as the Aeroccino and I never even noticed it as an issue with the Aeroccino (FWIW the only thing I used the Aeroccino for is paired with decaf Nespresso pods, which I drink infrequently if i have a coffee craving after 2PM or so).
3. Some reviews emphasized that you have to be careful to get the lid on just right so the impeller is in the right position. I'm having difficulty thinking this is an actual issue - for me I just pressed the lid down and it fits normally every time. Just feels like a "Where did the soda go?"-subreddit kind of problem.

Overall just very, very happy with this product.
It looks like the NanoFoamer Pro works for some, and not for others. I am in the latter category. Setting 1 was too liquid and couldn't make a latte. Setting 2 was too thick and ended up with a big blob. Wish there was a 1.5 setting.

Also on 3. absolutely, this is a design defect. The impeller is a bit too high and about 50% of the time, I got the impeller spinout issue. After loosening the bolt like Subminimal recommended in a video titled "We screwed up", the spinout issue mostly disappeared. Perhaps newer production units don't have this problem anymore?

Either way, I returned it. When there is a machine on the market that provides better foam settings granularity, and with an impeller that works without having to apply a hack (damaging / scratching the shaft in the process a bit) perhaps I will look back.

vit

#12: Post by vit »

With my battery model (non-pro), I had problems if foaming less than about 1dl of milk, because it was creating too big vortex and soaking too much air - might be similar issue here. Solution was to use right combination of milk quantity and the container. Steaming less than 1dl of milk is tricky as well. Also, you can put the "wand" of non pro model slightly higher or lower, like the steam wand, so it offers some additional control and may be more suitable for some than pro model (+ it is cheaper), but of course, you need something to heat the milk before foaming (microwave works ok for me)

sashaman (original poster)

#13: Post by sashaman (original poster) »

DerSchoeneBahnhof wrote:Also on 3. absolutely, this is a design defect. The impeller is a bit too high and about 50% of the time, I got the impeller spinout issue. After loosening the bolt like Subminimal recommended in a video titled "We screwed up", the spinout issue mostly disappeared. Perhaps newer production units don't have this problem anymore?
Yeah, I saw a similar comment on Reddit, and I only have to believe that this was an early run issue. I've probably made about 15 drinks with it so far (yeah, I went a little nuts trying it out with different levels/flow controller combos when I first got it) and I have never had a problem. As far as the "frothiness" for me, #2 with the black flow controller with whole milk is perfect for me. I'll probably post some comparison pics of all the different levels in a glass cappuccino cup to see the different froth amounts.

The only minor issue I've had is that I think the temp is probably lower than advertised (I think on the Lance Hedrick review video it was too hot, so maybe they over corrected :shrug:) - my first drink I stopped it when it just showed the "OK" and it was definitely not hot enough. But now I just always let it run fully until it stops and that's the perfect temp for me - hot but not scalded.

Pflunz

#14: Post by Pflunz »

I backed the Morning Dream for the same reason. I never understood why the market for steaming-only devices is so small.

DerSchoeneBahnhof

#15: Post by DerSchoeneBahnhof »

I backed the Morning Dream for the same reason. I never understood why the market for steaming-only devices is so small.
Interesting about the Morning Dream. How fast is this machine to steam to 60 C? How many holes in the tip?

EDIT: looks like 2 holes at an 81 degree angle, from their video.

vit

#16: Post by vit »

Seems to be a thermoblock device. Why is it so big then ?

Jonk

#17: Post by Jonk »

Looks smaller than the competition: https://www.dualit.com/products/cino

vit

#18: Post by vit »

Interesting, that one is also thermoblock ... Never really looked at it, but I though it was a device with boiler

Pflunz

#19: Post by Pflunz »

I think it had to fit their Morning Espresso Machine.
Unfortunately I am only interested in the steamer, but since it is not so wide (13cm) I do not really care about its depths.

coyote-1

#20: Post by coyote-1 »

I rarely make milk drinks, so my only real concern is the espresso maker part of the machine. That liberated me from all the hoopla and "up-pressure", so I could reduce my expenditure to the minimum required to simply get a great shot of espresso.

If I ever decide to start making milk drinks and decide the existing steam wand is inadequate, I will definitely seek a separate foamer.