Crossland CC1 - need calibration help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
laphroaig10

#1: Post by laphroaig10 »

Hi All,

I am an espresso newbie and just got my first setup, CC1+Vario. I am trying to do the initial calibration following Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

Unfortunately, I am getting brew ratios that are way too low - even at the finest 1A vario grind setting, 12g of coffee produces 60-90g output instead of 20-25g. The current settings are pre-steam=0, waiting=0, dripping=30, two-cup settings with a double basket.

I managed to get closer to the 50% ratio with 16g coffee, but with 12g I cannot get output <60g - and even that is using the finest 1A grind setting available..

Being new to espresso machines, I can't tell if I am doing something wrong, if Vario needs calibration, or if it is the CC1.

Can anyone with CC1 confirm if they are able to get 20-25g from 12g? How should I proceed?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

Your problem is likely not the CC1.

Either you have stale coffee, or you are not grinding fine enough. The latter can be a very common problem with the Vario, as that grinder must often be calibrated to grind in the espresso range. Check your manual or Baratza's website to see how to do this.

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

12 grams ?????? maybe you should keep your dose at 16+ grams. !2 gms is not even in the ballpark for a double basket.