Cost of leaving machine on 24/7?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cruzmisl

#1: Post by cruzmisl »

Hi All,
Since the economy is in the dumper I figured I try and do my part and save some money. I normally left my Elektra T1 on 24/7 but recently have started to turn it off and only turn it on when needed. I usually leave it on an hour then make my coffee then shut it off. Anyone have any ideas how much money I'm saving? I bet its significant since the machine requires a 20A circuit.
Thanks,
Joe

shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

How long is your machine on per day? How many cents do you pay per kilowatt-hour? Is your boiler insulated?

Those factors make a huge deal, and as has surely been suggested before, the laziest (albeit time-consuming) and most accurate way to check is to put your machine on a Kill-A-Watt monitor.

I would guess, as I have the same machine as you (mine is insulated, though), that you're looking at saving maybe $5-15 per month max, probably on the low end of that. I need to look at my kill-a-watt to check how mine's been doing...
Nicholas Lundgaard

cruzmisl (original poster)

#3: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

Mine isn't insulated and it used to be on 24/7 now maybe its on an hour or two/day, max. My price per KwHr is unknown. I'll have to look it up.

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Figure your boiler at about 150w continuous x 22 hours = 3.3kwh

Figure about 9c / kwh from http://www.ontario-hydro.com/ = ~$0.30 / day -> ~$9.00 / mo

beatstanfurd

#5: Post by beatstanfurd »

Speaking of Kill-A-Watts, anyone know of one that will work with 20a? I believe Kill-A-Watts only work with 15a.

shadowfax

#6: Post by shadowfax replying to beatstanfurd »

It does work with 20A, but it beeps. I modified my machine to run at 12 amps (disconnected one of the sections of the heater).
Nicholas Lundgaard

beatstanfurd

#7: Post by beatstanfurd »

So if you have a machine with a 20a plug, all you would need is a cable to convert your 20a plug to 15a?

Provided everything else in the equation is 20a, wouldn't you blow a fuse in the Kill-A-Watt if your machine pulls down more than 15a?

shadowfax

#8: Post by shadowfax »

That's correct. But for me, as luck would have it, my Elektra has a 15A plug. God knows what idiot did that, but that's how she came.
Nicholas Lundgaard

cruzmisl (original poster)

#9: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

Come on, $9???? Why bother then. I should just leave it on for all the trouble not to mention the cold to hot cycle probably draws more than that....

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

In the summer I will turn my A3 off during the day because it pumps out too much heat in the summer. I have never noticed a change in the monthly electric bill that is beyond the normal monthly changes.
Dave Stephens