CMA 3 group espresso machine, 2 cables- 1 main power, what is the 2nd?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Summit Birm

#1: Post by Summit Birm »

Hi,

I have purchased a CMA 3 group coffee machine but a little confused as it has 2 cables coming from the machine. One of them is the main power cable (thick wire), but it also has a 2nd cable which looks like a female italian socket? Can anyone help explain what the second cable is related to?

Many thanks

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

It might be for the pump.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Summit Birm (original poster)

#3: Post by Summit Birm (original poster) »

Thank you for your response. I have never owned a machine like this so I'm a bit new to learning about the mechanical side of how coffee machines operate. I'm sorry if this is a silly question but, would the pump be located outside the machine as a separate part? I genuinely assumed that the pump and everything else except he water filter, is inside the machine

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

It is not uncommon for the pump to be external on commercial machines.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

I'm not familiar with your particular machine so I couldn't say for certain. Astoria has some models with onboard pumps and others with outboard pumps.

Take the machine's cover off and you'll know for certain :wink:.

ETA: If there is no pump, then I would strongly suggest getting in touch with the seller and getting the pump and pump motor. They're quite expensive as new parts: https://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Mach ... tors-Pumps
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

You might want to learn a bit about espresso machines before making a purchase unless your only plan it to clean and resell it.

In order to use it as an espresso machine it will need things. Machines of that caliber will also not have a grinder inside, you will need a grinder as a separate item. It should have probably a portafilter for each of the 3 groups, baskets for each portafilter and a blind basket. If it came complete with plumbing hoses that will make it easier than starting empty handed and figuring out BSPP fittings in Alabama. The inlet hose will connect the machine to the water treatment system, probably a regulator and filter/softener cartridge, those too will be separate.