Cleaning routine and frequency? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hankbates

#11: Post by hankbates »

icantroast wrote:If I'm using non scaling water should I still do this? I use ro water with potassium bicarbonate.
Not necessary since this mixture (Pavlis water) is non scaling and non corrosive.
RO or distilled ithout the bicarbonate it would be a very bad procedure, as this situation would be very corrosive.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

Snoroqc

#12: Post by Snoroqc »

Once a year/ year*1.5.

- descale Steam boiler (remove anti vaccum relief valve, put solution, than drain with a syphon)
- Descale Brew boiler (remove any parts, put solution, than drain with a syphon or into E61 group).
- descale + Lubrification + rebuilt of E61 group if necessary (new seal, teflon, parts).

JRising
Team HB

#13: Post by JRising »

ZX2BY2U wrote:Hopefully no one will mind if I toss another cleaning question in with this thread. What do you guys use to clean or polish the stainless steel exterior of your machine?
Windex and paper towel on the panels.
If the grouphead has oils baked on, it will harden into that yellow epoxy like stuff. This can be dissolved with WD40 if it's not too old, then the WD40 can be removed with windex and paper towel. If it's hardened badly, you can remove it with the finest grade steel wool that your hardware store sells. DO NOT use the steel wool if there's any rust showing in the steel wool. Steel is softer than chrome, but some oxides can be harder than chrome and damage the head. Similarly for stainless steel E61 heads, I can not assure that the steel wool will be enough softer so as not to leave marks. NEW clean steel wool only, and only on chromed brass, very gently just rub through the epoxy-like hardened grease, don't apply pressure, just friction.
If you don't know if your head is chromed brass or not, maybe very carefully test on the underside first to see if it's going to leave a mark.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Nunas »

icantroast wrote:If I'm using non scaling water should I still do this? I use ro water with potassium bicarbonate.
I use a whole-house softener plus a whole-house RO for drinking water (plumbed to the espresso bar) with a bypass set to ~25 ppm. IMHO it isn't necessary, as virtually no scale can form.

MSS

#15: Post by MSS »

To clean stainless, soft buffing cloth and windex. To polish stainless, I have been using silver polish and a polishing cloth. Be careful of the cloth you chose, man made fibers can scratch polished stainless. My machine is polished stainless and it will swirl easily if cleaned incorrectly.

ZX2BY2U

#16: Post by ZX2BY2U »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been using Windex and soft terry microfiber towel, and thinking I was dumb for doing it.

Recently tried going over that with some Zep stainless steel appliance polish, but it leaves smudges unless buffed nearly all off. My machine's chrome plated stuff is still fairly pristine so I've just been cleaning it like the stainless steel. The very few small fine scratches I have in the stainless panels and drip tray I'm terrified to try to polish out for fear of accentuating them more than removing them.

JRising
Team HB

#17: Post by JRising »

ZX2BY2U wrote:The very few small fine scratches I have in the stainless panels and drip tray I'm terrified to try to polish out for fear of accentuating them more than removing them.
Leave the little hints of use on the drip tray and other places. Nothing wrong with a machine showing signs that it is well used and well loved.
Clean what needs cleaning, fix what needs fixing and let the machine age as it will, why should it stay "showroom forever" while we put on weight at the mid-section?

tibikeman

#18: Post by tibikeman »

Water backflush every couple weeks. Cafiza every month or so. But then again I only drink espresso on the weekends...

lancealot

#19: Post by lancealot »

- After each shot: Short group flush and rinse the portafilter / basket in the hot group water.
- Once a week: Cafiza backflush the group, Clean out the drip tray and wipe down the machine, clean the portafilter and basket with a 10 minute cafiza soak followed by a rinse.
-Once a month: Pull the water tank and wash it out. Drain and refill the steam boiler.
-Every 6 months or so: Pull the lid and make sure all is looking good inside.

ZX2BY2U

#20: Post by ZX2BY2U »

Great tips. Thx!