Clarification with plumb line (pics included) - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

I would guess that pouring a quart of hot water down the drain once a week will keep it clean enough for a very long time. Better if you pour directly into the drain cup if your machine has one, that way you'll notice a restriction before it makes a mess. Make the horizontal piece easily removable and just clean or replace it occasionally. I have a 1 foot horizontal run of 1" tubing and I've never had to mess with it. Not saying that I won't or that it's a good idea, but so far, it works here.

Ira

DavidO (original poster)

#12: Post by DavidO (original poster) »

Water line is all setup, now if only my machine can arrive already! I ended up doing this differently than I thought - making a last minute change while I was at the hardware store. :)

I decided NOT to use John Guest/Sharkbite/QuickConnect etc connectors. Instead, I used PEX tubing and connectors, which matches what is in my whole home.

From the tee to the filter is braided steel, and I brought the PEX line all the way up behind my fridge as well - with another braided steel line from this point to the (eventual) machine.

Also chose a different route, going straight through the cabinet (instead of on the counter), and will drop down to the machine (as was suggested by another user).

Overall I'm VERY happy I chose to use PEX instead, and learned a new skill in the process.

QUICK QUESTION: since the smaller PEX is 1/2, the pathway ends up being 1/2 (tee) > 3/8 (braided, filter) > 1/2 (PEX run in basement, terminates behind fridge) > 3/8 (last braided that will connect to machine)

No issue with that right? As long as the last run to the rotary machine is 3/8, I'm fine? I was also told a pressure regulator is not necessary with my rotary machine by the seller. That's correct right?

DavidO (original poster)

#13: Post by DavidO (original poster) »

Since pictures are better than verbiage, as they say... still need to drill the last hole (depends on the position of the machine).

Cut away the previous Pex 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/4" reducer/shut off, and replaced with Pex 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8" reducer/shut off
A little messy under the sink, but this is a utility area (Might secure the BWT filter, but it's not moving right now)

Directly below sink (this is also where the stream flowed because I forgot to leave a basement sink valve open after I shut off the main and cut the reducer/shut off above - oops!). I didn't necessarily need a shut off here, but I couldn't find the regular Pex 1/2" x Male thread, so I just grabbed this instead.

Brought the Pex line all the way up (I may add a fastener clip here, but not sure it's necessary, as the pipe is pretty stiff on it's own). Look, ANOTHER shut off! :)

This is the view from the LAST cabinet where it will eventually drop (depends where I position the machine). Ideally want the braided steel hose to be concealed, so if the machine/cups do, I'll be happy. This is a 6' line, but I might change to an 8' line to give a little more wiggle room.

The entire line has been tested and no leaks! I'm very happy with the result and confident in the longevity of this setup. And I found out you can rent a Pex Crimper Tool and PVC pipe cutter for 4 hours for only $10! :) And they have these pex rings called ClampRite, which have a 'stopper' (think clamp ring 'for dummies') and removes the guesswork of spacing - and bonus, reveal if your cut was square. This solution ended up being the most cost effective, because those Sharkbite/JG connectors are not inexpensive.

THANKS GUYS! The H-B community is fantastic and I appreciate all your help! :)