Cimbali M20 - Assistance selecting compatible switch?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MeanBean

#1: Post by MeanBean »

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forums, perhaps the first of many since I am enjoying overhauling old espresso machines.
I recently purchased a Cimbali M20 for under 300 dollars and I am in the process of completely overhauling the unit. It has been somewhat of an intensive process, since everything that could be damaged or destroyed pretty much was.

My repair work has been halted, due to a broken switch/variable control that controls the grouper. The previous user of this machine managed to rotate the knob 360 degrees and shear off some internal components, effectively destroying the normal function of the switch.

I'd like to replace the old unit, but I am having an incredibly difficult time locating a replacement on any of the parts sites. It is worth mentioning that I do not have any of the manuals for this model and most of my referencing has been from my personal knowledge & the schematics on the EspressoParts website.

Nothing comes up for a google search for the part number on the unit..

On this unit, there is a paddle that seems to depress both of the micro switches simultaneously, however this paddle is broken off and unrepairable. Below the assembly of plastic gears, there is a device that looks similar to a variable resistor with only two leads connecting it.

If anyone knows of a compatible part, or has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Dave.

DaveLSM

#2: Post by DaveLSM »

Quite an undertaking. I assume you've reached out to the manufacturer.

There are two repair shops in Toronto that might be able to help. One is Anthony's espresso in Woodbridge, the other, which I'd try first, is espressoplanet on Tomken in Mississauga. Ivo is the guy who repairs the machines and he is quite experienced and helpful. He's got a pretty good stock of parts and may at least know how and where to get that switch.

Dave
La vita e troppo breve per mangiare e bere male.

MeanBean (original poster)

#3: Post by MeanBean (original poster) »

Great, thanks Dave!

He is right in my neck of the woods, so I will give him a call.

Best regards,

Dave.

Techy291

#4: Post by Techy291 »

As an alternative, there is a parts supplier near Pearson airport named Astra M Group

They are focused on the trade and they keep limited hours - 9 to 5 M to F.

But, their parts selection is MUCH more extensive than their website would lead you to believe and I have found the people who staff their parts counter to be very helpful.