Changing the profile on Decent during the brewing

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ursego

#1: Post by Ursego »

I have a machine with an E61 Flow Control Device. It often happens that I decide "on the fly" how exactly to change the flow rate. For example, when I am using the ramp down ("spring lever machine") profile and see that the grind is too coarse (the jet is too strong), I reduce the flow immediately and aggressively to increase the brew time and save the shot. And vice versa: if the grind size is smaller than I wanted, I start limiting the flow closer to the end of the extraction, and not too much (sometimes I even decide not to apply the profile at all).

Another example:
If I find that the coffee is barely flowing out of the basket, I immediately shut off the flow completely for half a minute (to let the puck bloom) and then reopen the faucet. After that, the liquid flows a little faster. This significantly reduces over-extraction, which improves the taste.

Can I do similar tricks on Decent, or will it only brew strictly according to the pre-programmed profile?

HH

#2: Post by HH »

Ursego wrote:Can I do similar tricks on Decent, or will it only brew strictly according to the pre-programmed profile?
Yes it has full manual control using the Group Head Controller. You can move your finger over the glass to increase or decrease flow during the shot, and can do so as rapidly or gently as you like. You can do it in the middle of any profile if you want to tweak the shot on the fly. It works really well!

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#3: Post by decent_espresso »

Ursego (original poster)

#4: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Great! Thank you guys!

I suppose you could use the round sensor to quickly shut off the flow completely for blooming, right?

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by decent_espresso replying to Ursego »

Yes you could manually do a blooming if you wanted to, in the same way I wrote about doing a blooming espresso on a manual lever machine in this article:
https://thelevermag.com/blogs/articles/decent-espresso