Can a rotary pump suck up from a bucket? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sweaner

#11: Post by sweaner »

Chris, my machine is not covered under your warranty. However, I was assured by your company that I could not hurt the pump/machine by running it this way. I discussed this with the techs when they serviced the machine, which I bought used. Obviously, if the bottle runs dry I will be putting a new pump in. However, I need to really know if I am actually hurting the pump by running it without any line pressure.

Eric, by the way, the flow rate was 8 oz in 29 seconds.
Scott
LMWDP #248

chriscoffee
Sponsor

#12: Post by chriscoffee »

Every time you run the tank dry, even for a short time, or have to prime the pump because it loses prime, you are doing damage to it. If you insist on running it that way, at least put a good check valve in line so as not to lose prime. Bottom line, a pump run this way versus the way it was designed to run is much more likely to wear out sooner than it should.
Chris Nachtrieb
Pres. Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

Advertisement
sweaner

#13: Post by sweaner »

Thanks Chris. Does anyone have a suggestion on a check valve? Is it something I can get from the Home Depot plumbing supply section, and will it simply attach to the end of the hose?
Scott
LMWDP #248

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

Scott -

I believe the item you need is called a "foot valve". You will likely need to adapt it to the 3/8" pipe threads that are at the end of the Vetrano hose. A Google search for "foot valve" will be revealing.

Keep in mind that you want to minimize the additional "strain" you impose on the pump. A pic of your current setup would be helpful.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cannonfodder
Team HB

#15: Post by cannonfodder »

Yes you can run a rotary from a jug, but as Chris points out, you can burn up the pump if you run the water tank dry. Having said that, I know someone that ran a 3 group LM from a water tank, if you keep you water bucket above the pumps horizontal plane you will have some slight positive pressure but again, run it empty and you may fry your pump. The OP is from New Zealand, I cannot suggest a location for the check valve out there, but here in the US you can get them from McMaster, Grainger, maybe even Lowes hardware. Any plumbing supply store should have them; just ask for a one way valve or a check valve.
Dave Stephens