Can a prosumer espresso machine be built into the wall...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Zante Shot

#1: Post by Zante Shot »

I'm in the process of remodeling a very small kitchen and need all the counter space I can get. One option our contractor has available is to build a recessed "cubby" into the wall that would "house" one ECM Synchronika and make its face flush with the wall-freeing up the counter space that would have otherwise been taken by the machine. The dimensions he can work with would allow about 1 inch clearance on each side and on top and 2 inches in the back of the machine. I realize that both heat and humidity are factors to consider and don't want to create a hazard for mold, overheating, etc. Has anyone done something similar and what other suggestions and considerations should I take into account-Thanks.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I'd include a roll-out as the machines can be very heavy. Plumb-in water feed and associated softening would be close to essential as you probably couldn't easily fill the reservoir.

If you do decide to do it, size it big enough for any machine you might upgrade to in the future. Also wire 240 even if you don't build in the cubby hole.

Make it big enough for a KitchenAid or similar stand mixer so prospective house buyers don't look at the hole and say "WTF is that for? What a waste of space!"

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB John

I would advise against a built-in for reasons of heat dissipation as well as ease of servicing. You might discover the great value of being able to open up the machine and being able to service it in-situ.

Servicing and maintenance will be required - that's guaranteed! :mrgreen:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

coyote-1

#4: Post by coyote-1 »

Zante Shot wrote:One option our contractor has available is to build a recessed "cubby" into the wall that would "house" one ECM Synchronika and make its face flush with the wall-freeing up the counter space that would have otherwise been taken by the machine.
Perhaps something like this would work for you:

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

Build in plenty of leak detection below it. The more you hide the machine away, the less likely you are to hear the leak.
While it is possible to do such a thing, I think I agree with the idea of using a machine designed to be installed in that way.

Zante Shot (original poster)

#6: Post by Zante Shot (original poster) »

Excellent suggestions. Very studied and much appreciated!

BKH

#7: Post by BKH »

I wonder how a Decent would be in this scenario. They are small, don't have traditional boiler so I think generate less heat and humidity. I think you can remove the tablet from the top and they refill the tank from the front.

Pflunz

#8: Post by Pflunz »

There are wall mounted espresso machines, for example Superkop:

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

One needs to constantly reach behind a DE1. It is required to slide the water tray forward, as well as to hard-reset the machine when the "first-step skip" bug hits you.

Francesco recently had a Faema Veloxtherm and I'm not sure how I avoided buying it.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Annun ... x_1961.htm

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... mo_eng.htm

Orphan Espresso has some videos on this wall-mounted classic as well.

borrik

#10: Post by borrik »

There are some cross-wall solutions like with CRT TV... :D