Cafflano Kompresso Review - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Nick Name

#31: Post by Nick Name »

Can anyone compare this versus Aeropess+Prismo?

Suddenly I felt the urge to buy myself a Cafflano Kompresso for travelling, but since I already have an Aeropress and a Prismo it would be nice to hear if anyone could compare them.

Tonefish

#32: Post by Tonefish replying to Nick Name »

I have neither but studied both. The Aeropress/Prismo is incapable of making espresso. It is a gimmick with a small amount of faux crema from pressurizing the coffee and shooting it through a single small opening. The Aeropress makes strong coffee, not espresso. Only the Kompresso can make espresso. If you don't care about the difference, then no matter. Just enjoy your coffee!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

A Coffee Wanderer

#33: Post by A Coffee Wanderer »

Nick Name wrote:Can anyone compare this versus Aeropess+Prismo?

Suddenly I felt the urge to buy myself a Cafflano Kompresso for travelling, but since I already have an Aeropress and a Prismo it would be nice to hear if anyone could compare them.
Hi! I own both and maybe I can help. First thing is; do you wan't to make espresso or just a strong coffee?

If you want to make espresso you have to know that; as any espresso machine that does not use pressurized basket you WILL need an espresso capable grinder. In short, everything you need to make a good espresso is a must is the Cafflano Kompresso for a good shot (grinding, fresh beans, ideal temperature, etc.)

The Aeropress on the other hand will not give you an espresso. The Prismo is not a device to turn the Aeropress into a real espresso maker. At most, the most useful feature I can consider is the fact that the Prismo eliminates the problem of using the inverted method. And sure, the extra pressure allows for a different profile, but very far from what the Kompresso is (which is a true espresso maker).

Anyways; different gadgets, different coffees profile.

TL;DR: Kompresso can make yuo espresso.
Aeropress+prismo can make you a Moka profile cup

Hope I could help!

Elias Herrera

renatoa

#34: Post by renatoa »

I don't understand the relationship between prismo and inverted method.
I am preparing no crema espresso at 4 bars using aeropress standing the normal way, without any prismo help.
No idea how inverted would help to create something similar... conversely, I can't tamp inverted ! which is mandatory to have a right extraction... :?

vit

#35: Post by vit »

Emm .. 4 bar would need about 102 kg assuming diameter about 57 mm. How do you do that ?

renatoa

#36: Post by renatoa »

Stepping on Aeropress :)

Kidding, with a wood lever, 1.3 ratio, there are pictures/videos on the internet.
Did a small trick on the cylinder, to optimize it for this task, a small 4 mm hole just above the level of the 60 ml water and 20 grams coffee.
This is some mm above 1 mark.
This way I can pour the water very precise, any excess drops outside, then insert the piston to water level without any air between, so true compression, no elastic compression as in original Aeropress.
Also this trick reduced very much the piston stroke, to about 3 cm, thus only 10 cm stroke at the handle of lever, similar to Pavoni.

A Coffee Wanderer

#37: Post by A Coffee Wanderer »

renatoa wrote:I don't understand the relationship between prismo and inverted method.
I am preparing no crema espresso at 4 bars using aeropress standing the normal way, without any prismo help.
No idea how inverted would help to create something similar... conversely, I can't tamp inverted ! which is mandatory to have a right extraction... :?
The relationship is that when brewing in the Aeropress with the normal method (and without the Prismo) water will inevitably start falling out of sheer gravity force. With the inverted method I can use the small ratio required for a moka pot strength coffee and let it steep for as long as I need. The Prismo then, allows me to use the Aeropress as normal without any water falling to my cup unless I push.

About the wood lever, I've seen that, but I still doubt the 4 bar thing (we'll need some data on that :P) specially considering the use of those paper filters. Unless using the metal ones I foresee a great mess XD Anyways, if espresso is what he wants, the Kompresso is the way to go, no need for wood lever of anything. Anyways, at $110.00 (I dunno why so expensive, I got mine on the kickstarted campaign for like 40 dls) I would suggest to invest a litte more (if you already have a capable grinder) and get a Flair.

All that said, I do believe the Aeropress is one of the most versatile coffee makers out there, and as a first buy and coffee maker in general, the Aeropress (prismo or not) is hands down the way to go.

EDIT: Forgot the prismo comes with metal filter XD Sorry, had too much coffee this morning.

pafcio0

#38: Post by pafcio0 »

I do make sort-of-espresso on Prismo.
I compared the brew with Caravel as well as moka pot and honestly can say that prismo makes coffee lot alike the Caravel's. I would not be afraid to call it espresso. The body is pretty close to Caravel's, more closer than to moka brew (which tastes burnt and thin to me), taste is concentrated, but more balanced and smoother than Caravel's though.

renatoa

#39: Post by renatoa »

If true espresso grind is used in aeropress, and tamped according to standards (15 kg +/-), no drop will leak, you will need a serious 26 kg push (1 bar) to saturate the puck in about 10 seconds, and start to see the first drops.

Yes, I am using a metal filter, together with a paper one, else, paper alone will break.

The 4 bar figure is simple to compute, 1 bar = 1kgf/sq.cm, 57mm Aeropress diameter area = 26 sq.cm, thus 26 kg for 1 bar.

But overall you are right, for true espresso Cafflano is the way to go, especially when starting from no Aeropress.
CK price here is $75, still too much for a smaller Aeropress :D

dogears

#40: Post by dogears »

Kompresso and Aeropress owner here :)
Agree that Kompresso makes espresso while Aeropress makes strong coffee :)
Still a newbie tho.