Cafflano Kompresso Review - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pallen

#21: Post by pallen »

As for price - I paid $38 as a Kickstarter backer, which was a great deal IMO. They plan to sell them at $69 according to their page, which is a little pricey, but not insane. I think the expensive one on Amazon right now is someone price gouging with some they bought from the Kickstarter. I don't think Cafflano has actually done a retail production run yet.

vit

#22: Post by vit »

entropy4money wrote: This is a problem with all portable espresso machines I believe.
Not exactly

I don't own a Flair, but well working procedure by some members here seems to be boiling the cylinder together with water and putting it onto basket. Then you pour the water, mount the piston and start extraction. By that time lasting say 20-30 s, basket and coffee gets warmed up within hot and relatively massive steel cylinder + you can make some preinfusion and temperature drop is small due to considerable thermal capacity of the cylinder

In case of my experimental moka pot espresso "device", I boil the water in the vessel of moka pot, wait a bit for the temperature to drop, then put a basket with coffe into it, screw the other part, invert the whole thing and pump the pressure with bike strut pump, and before I start with that, coffee and basket also warm up

Here, it's a bit harder to achieve the similar thing

Tonefish

#23: Post by Tonefish »

pallen wrote:As for price - I paid $38 as a Kickstarter backer, which was a great deal IMO. They plan to sell them at $69 according to their page, which is a little pricey, but not insane. I think the expensive one on Amazon right now is someone price gouging with some they bought from the Kickstarter. I don't think Cafflano has actually done a retail production run yet.
I'd be really happy at $38. I've seen some on eBay for $78 plus $12 shipping from South Korea from a couple sellers. $69 would be a definite go. I think I'd love this thing for backpacking near a water source (grounds buried, of course).
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

renatoa

#24: Post by renatoa »

With Aergrinder you can have whole beans too and fresh grind, a la carte, er... "rules of the 15" ;)

Now wish to read here earlier, the KS price was great indeed... if anyone want to sell his, just ask my PP :)

mpenna

#25: Post by mpenna »

Bit of an update from me... Bought this to keep it at my desk in the office. I knew that realistic I would not grind a small quantity of coffee at home before going to work every morning so invested in an aergrind to complete the office set up.

This was the best decision ever as I am very pleased with the shots I managed to pull since... Very enjoyable with some decent crema (no not as thick/dense as what you would get from a proper espresso machine but close enough for something so light and portable)

Next I need to work on a decent tamper and some sort of support to extract the coffee into a porcelain cup.

:D

jesse

#26: Post by jesse »

Anyone else who backed this thing care to offer feedback? Found a retailer stateside with them in stock and am seriously considering one. A few of the video demonstrations I've seen feature some pretty convincing looking results..

renatoa

#27: Post by renatoa »

Which states retailer? on ebay.com they are missing at all...

Tonefish

#28: Post by Tonefish »

I've emailed both mycafflano.com (claiming to be the "official USA" seller) and the cafflanoshop.com (Canadian store with free USA shipping) for availability information and neither have responded.

Tonefish

#29: Post by Tonefish »

Anyone heard any more on this?

nrh

#30: Post by nrh »

It is available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076CXFJ ... +kompresso

I got one on Kickstarter and I have used it a couple times. It seems to work ok for what it is. I am good with it for what I paid ($38 plus shipping), but I think you could do better for the current price on Amazon of $129.99. I haven't used it, but for that price I would probably get the Flair Espresso Maker for an extra $30.

I believe it will be cheaper from the actual company if they get a production run completed (I believe around $70 from what I recall). I'd say that price could be worth it if you plan to use it for occasional travel and/or camping.
Nick H.