Cafflano Kompresso Review - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
entropy4money

#11: Post by entropy4money »

Looks pretty good, a step above aeropress for sure. However, the crema seems to have a lot of bubbles. Seems like air is being introduced in the extraction process adding volume to the crema. I think you are getting a combination of realcrema+pseudo crema.

Stephanus (original poster)

#12: Post by Stephanus (original poster) »

vit wrote:Could be. Did you actually try putting it on the scale ?
Like pallen said, a scale will not tell how much force you are applying whilst using the device.

I did test my grip strength as per the opening post, and I pulled my luggage scale to its max of 35kg without too much effort. The human grip can apply a high force, albeit over a small distance.
Only a surfer knows the feeling

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
vit

#13: Post by vit »

Now I got it, you are actually squeezing it between black and red handles like on the video (didn't find it earlier) and not against the table

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHqnUz3WK_w

Well, my hands are definitively not as strong as yours, not likely I would produce more than a few bar this way I think :(

edit: tried some "squeeze test" using the scale and it actually went over 30 kg with one hand :( ... more than I thought ... actually considering ordering this thing ... only remaining problem is - I don't like drinking the coffee from the plastic cup ...

vit

#14: Post by vit »

entropy4money wrote:Looks pretty good, a step above aeropress for sure. However, the crema seems to have a lot of bubbles. Seems like air is being introduced in the extraction process adding volume to the crema. I think you are getting a combination of realcrema+pseudo crema.
Process looks pretty much the same as with Flair or my moka + pump device which both produce real crema as there is no any crema enhancing device

pallen

#15: Post by pallen »

entropy4money wrote:Looks pretty good, a step above aeropress for sure. However, the crema seems to have a lot of bubbles. Seems like air is being introduced in the extraction process adding volume to the crema. I think you are getting a combination of realcrema+pseudo crema.
Its possible to get air in at the very end, but unlikely. I usually pull the plunger back up and repress into the sink to finish pushing all the water through and dry the puck. There could be some air initially trapped in the grounds that bubbles out somehow at the start.

This isnt the pseudo-crema like you get from pressurized portafilters. I started off on an old Saeco that did that. The grind you use for this must be dialed in. Its somewhat forgiving, but if you go too coarse, it blows through with no crema. Too fine and you get nothing out the bottom - also no crema. You only get a shot like this when its just right.

pallen

#16: Post by pallen »

vit wrote: ... only remaining problem is - I don't like drinking the coffee from the plastic cup ...
You don't have to brew into the plastic cup, but if you brew into something else just be sure its very sturdy and a good fit diameter-wise.

vit

#17: Post by vit » replying to pallen »

Thanks, I noticed that in the meantime after watching one more video. What is the minimum diameter at the top of the cup, something like 60 mm or so ?

How it is about piston sealing within plastic cylinder ?

There is one more thing. In normal espresso machines coffee actually gets preheated before brewing by putting the coffee into hot portafilter with basket (or at least by putting the basket with coffee into hot portafilter). The same seems to be with Flair, as the basket comes in contact with the water before brewing and heats up with the coffee. And also in my moka+pump device. Here, it doesn't seem to be the case

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
pallen

#18: Post by pallen »

I'll have to measure. 60mm sounds about right.

Temp loss in extraction is definitely an issue on this device. To mitigate this as much as possible, I invert the cylinder with the plunger barely in and fill with hot water while I'm loading the "portafilter". Then dump it out and refill to brew. I haven't found a good way to preheat the portafilter part. By the time you get it loaded, it will likely be back at room temperature.

entropy4money

#19: Post by entropy4money » replying to pallen »

Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tidgqlbey_4

Extraction looks legit, and so does the crema. Seeems like an aswesome device. It seems a little pricey for what it is, but it could be the best of the portable espresso machines. I've been having great results with the handpresso, which costs $75 and seems to be better built.
This is a problem with all portable espresso machines I believe.

renatoa

#20: Post by renatoa »

Keep the whole in hot water until you are ready with grounds for tamping... :?