Buying a used Breville BES920, have a couple of questions... - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Explorerman (original poster)

#11: Post by Explorerman (original poster) »

I ended up going with a Eureka Mignon Oro, single dose. Ticks all of the boxes for me, flat burr, I only ever make one or two at a time, also need something fairly quiete so I don't wake kids up early in the morning, and low profile that will easily sit under the cabinetry above the bench top.

Also, whole I was cleaning g the BDB water jug I accidentally pushed in the mesh filter, I'm guessing it will all still work ok, should I remove the three mounting screws and try to pop it back out, or just leave it?

tokarev

#12: Post by tokarev »

If the screen is intact (no big holes) it should be fine. Worst case, if you can't fix it you could buy a replacement water tank.

Unless the seller is willing to remove the top cover (4 screws) there's not much you can inspect until you get it home. If you can get a peek under the cover you can look for signs of leaks. The hoses on top of the steam boiler will eventually leak steam which can eventually cause electrical issues. Fortunately the o-rings are easily replaced if that happens.

I've had my BDB for about a year now. I got a DF64 grinder to go with mine. I have no logical reason for that choice other than it's cheaper than the Niche and was actually in stock at a US dealer when I wanted to buy. My previous grinder was a Rocky so I was used to flat burrs. I also have a 1Zpresso Jx-Pro hand grinder which is conical and also does a fine job with espresso grind.

I use Rpavlis water in mine (distilled water with 380-400mg/gal of potassium bicarbonate added). If your tap water isn't acidic and doesn't scale you should be fine with that. Make sure the water has little or no chloride, which is NOT the same as chlorine. Chlorine is ok except for the taste. My tap water tests fairly soft but years of cleaning coffee makers and kettles has proved that my tap water does indeed cause limescale. If you use non-scaling water like Rpavlis then descaling will never be an issue.

When you have some time, check out these threads on the BDB. (Warning: they are LONG.) Lots of good info on replacing parts and making the flow control mods.

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance
Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on
John M.