Brown sugar portafilter espresso. Down the road issues? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Milligan »

Heat + sugar + water in the group head could make for a 4th wave of funky fermented espresso if left for a few days! You may be on the cutting edge of a new movement in taste 8)

I wouldn't do it in my machine but I'm certainly up for tasting it through someone else's.

Nate42

#12: Post by Nate42 »

Sugar is pretty highly soluble in water if you make it a point to give it a good rinse after you will probably be fine. The other question though is why? The high pressure extraction of espresso is needed because getting coffee solid dissolved into a small amount of water is hard. Dissolving sugar is not hard. Why not just put it in the cup? When making sugary drinks I use a rich simple syrup (2 to 1 sugar to water by weight) it dissolves very easily.

slybarman

#13: Post by slybarman »

^^ seems like the right question to me.

ShotPull

#14: Post by ShotPull »

This reminds me of a video that came with a fancy, perfectly smooth glass cooktop stove I bought a long time ago when they first came out. The video talked about how strong the glass was and how much abuse it could really take ... all except for one thing: hot sugar.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

Nate42 wrote:Sugar is pretty highly soluble in water if you make it a point to give it a good rinse after you will probably be fine. The other question though is why? The high pressure extraction of espresso is needed because getting coffee solid dissolved into a small amount of water is hard. Dissolving sugar is not hard. Why not just put it in the cup? When making sugary drinks I use a rich simple syrup (2 to 1 sugar to water by weight) it dissolves very easily.
I found that the resulting drink tastes different, albeit when using unrefined sugar.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Kaffee Bitte

#16: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I tried this a few times years ago after a thread about it then. I didn't want the sugar near my screen though so I ground a half dose and added the sugar to that and mixed it up. Then ground the remainder of the dose on top. The shots were interesting but they ran crazy so I never really bothered making more than a few. I decided if I needed the brown sugar I could put it in the cup and pull my shots in it.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110