Breville Dual Boiler Suggestions for Daily Cleaning Routine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jebez
Supporter

#1: Post by Jebez »

Hello all,

My new Breville Dual Boiler had her maiden launch last night. Honestly, I could not be more impressed. What an amazing machine!

I applied the same daily cleaning ritual that I've been using after each shot with my seven-year-old Quick Mill Andreja Premium, comprised primarily of water backflushes, purging steam wand, wiping steam tip with water-soaked paper towels, purging group head, along with scrubbing group head with Pallo and Cafelat group head brushes. Full disclosure... I'm a bit OCD - but the routine with the Andreja isn't too bad or time-consuming.

Last night, after brewing a single shot on the Breville, and applying my cleaning regimen, I used a half a tank of water in the process. Granted, that its a new machine, and I might have been a bit over-zealous with the routine - but I'd like to trim down the daily cleaning process while keeping the machine running efficiently and properly maintained.

I'd greatly appreciate sharing your daily cleaning routine (with specific details) so that I might cut back on the amount of time (and water) that I employed last night. Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Jerry

John49

#2: Post by John49 »

"Last night, after brewing a single shot on the Breville, and applying my cleaning regimen, I used a half a tank of water in the process. Granted, that its a new machine, and I might have been a bit over-zealous with the routine - but I'd like to trim down the daily cleaning process while keeping the machine running efficiently and properly maintained."

This is a bit excessive, a quick flush of the shower screen is enough.
Weekly drain and wash out the reservoir, this will keep the water fresh.
Drain the steam boiler weekly, this will prevent a build up of scale producing minerals.

*sigh*

#3: Post by *sigh* »

I flush the shower screen between shots, and then once done for the day I backflush with water until there are no additional grounds in the water.

I also clean my water tank once every week or two, though during the summer here it's gets so warm that I try and keep the tank dry (I empty it after I'm done if I'm not going to making coffee in the next day and just toss the filter in a Ziploc bag in the fridge) because if I leave it out unused for more than a day the tank gets a bit slimy.

About once every 4-6 weeks I drop the shower screen and giving it more thorough clean, and then use cleaning tabs on the cleaning cycle when prompted.

I don't ever empty the boilers as part of regular maintenance (though for various reasons this happens once or twice a year) but haven't had any issues with scale, if you have really hard water it might not be a bad idea (though weekly is quite excessive in my opinion).

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#4: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

Thank you John49 and *sigh*.

How long do you run the clean backflush?
Last night I did it for 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off - and repeated it five times.
According to the user manual, Breville suggested a 20 second cycle, repeated five times. Seems rather excessive.
Do you think that the supplied rubber stopper is as good as a metal blind disc for backflushing?

My BDB came with a new type of water filter (cone shaped).
A rep at Breville said that with the new filter, cleaning the reservoir weekly (as I've done with my Andreja) wouldn't be necessary until I change filters in about 4 months or so. I think I'll continue to clean the reservoir at least every two weekes.

*sigh*

#5: Post by *sigh* »

10-20 seconds at full pressure, I don't really time it too closely, but I do it with the included disc. I would probably aim for longer than 5 seconds.

That's interesting they've changed the water filters. Do you have any pictures? Curious as to what changed. I mean I'm sure the filter catches the gunk, but I don't really want a science experiment growing in my water reservoir even if everything is removed prior to brewing.

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#6: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to *sigh* »

I don't have my manual with me (which includes an illustration of the new cone-shaped filter) - and the manual that they have online has not yet been updated. The filter is not yet available on their site, and won't be until June. The rep said that in addition to water filtration, the new filter (which lasts much longer) also purifies the water. Which is why she stated that it was not necessary to clean the tank until the filter was ready to be changed.

lancealot

#7: Post by lancealot »

I habe not found water between the silicone disk and the metal basket so i think the disk is as good as a blind basket.

I rinse the PF and flush the shower screen at the same time between shots.
When done for the day, ill brush the screen, most of the time.

I do a programmed backflush cycle, fridays and sundays with a smidge of cafiza. Sometimes ill do plain water on weekdays if ive used it alot.

I drain both boilers and clean the water tank 1x a month.

I use bottled spring water that is low on the Tds.

I wipe her down and look back at her, over my sholder as i leave for work, everyday.

BaristaBob

#8: Post by BaristaBob »

Jebez wrote:Hello all,

My new Breville Dual Boiler had her maiden launch last night. Honestly, I could not be more impressed. What an amazing machine!

I applied the same daily cleaning ritual that I've been using after each shot with my seven-year-old Quick Mill Andreja Premium, comprised primarily of water backflushes, purging steam wand, wiping steam tip with water-soaked paper towels, purging group head, along with scrubbing group head with Pallo and Cafelat group head brushes. Full disclosure... I'm a bit OCD - but the routine with the Andreja isn't too bad or time-consuming.

Last night, after brewing a single shot on the Breville, and applying my cleaning regimen, I used a half a tank of water in the process. Granted, that its a new machine, and I might have been a bit over-zealous with the routine - but I'd like to trim down the daily cleaning process while keeping the machine running efficiently and properly maintained.

I'd greatly appreciate sharing your daily cleaning routine (with specific details) so that I might cut back on the amount of time (and water) that I employed last night. Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Here is a link to a one minute video from Phil McKnight, he was on Breville's payroll during the development of the 900-920XL Dual Boilers. I think he would know what's best, so I've been following this routine for the last few months after making my last shot for the evening...everything appears clean, and it uses a smaller amount of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpSSSYpq1I

Monthly cleaning involves what others have said. I use Cafiza and the auto backflush cycle, remove shower screen and gasket to give it a good cleaning (though with McKnight's routine, they have been spotlessly clean) 8) . Clean water tank monthly, and change filter on a six month schedule (or as needed). Draining boilers, not really necessary for me, my water hardness is 1...no scale at all, however, my boilers do get drained about twice a year due to vacations...don't like the thought of water sitting in there for weeks at a time. :shock:

May I ask...what did your water hardness check out to be? Depending on the result, this will have a major effect on machine maintenance.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#9: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:I habe not found water between the silicone disk and the metal basket so i think the disk is as good as a blind basket.

I rinse the PF and flush the shower screen at the same time between shots.
When done for the day, ill brush the screen, most of the time.

I do a programmed backflush cycle, fridays and sundays with a smidge of cafiza. Sometimes ill do plain water on weekdays if ive used it alot.

I drain both boilers and clean the water tank 1x a month.

I use bottled spring water that is low on the Tds.

I wipe her down and look back at her, over my sholder as i leave for work, everyday.
Thank you lancealot!
I appreciate your input. I also use bottled water (Poland Spring - hardness 1) and have used that for the past seven years with my Andreja.
I'm not sure if draining the boilers is necessary - but I guess it can't hurt.
What grinder do you use?
I just purchased a Sette 270 to go with the Breville Dual Boiler. Though I'm not certain that I'll be keeping it. There appear to be some problems with it, and I'm having concerns given the number of issues I've seen posted here.

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#10: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote:Hi Jerry,

Here is a link to a one minute video from Phil McKnight, he was on Breville's payroll during the development of the 900-920XL Dual Boilers. I think he would know what's best, so I've been following this routine for the last few months after making my last shot for the evening...everything appears clean, and it uses a smaller amount of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpSSSYpq1I

Monthly cleaning involves what others have said. I use Cafiza and the auto backflush cycle, remove shower screen and gasket to give it a good cleaning (though with McKnight's routine, they have been spotlessly clean) 8) . Clean water tank monthly, and change filter on a six month schedule (or as needed). Draining boilers, not really necessary for me, my water hardness is 1...no scale at all, however, my boilers do get drained about twice a year due to vacations...don't like the thought of water sitting in there for weeks at a time. :shock:

May I ask...what did your water hardness check out to be? Depending on the result, this will have a major effect on machine maintenance.
Hi Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for sharing the video - which I'll take a look at as soon as I post this.

I use Poland Spring bottled water (which is what I've used in the Andreja Premium for the past seven years). It registered as a hardness of 1.

I'd like to begin including the removal and cleaning of the shower screen as part of my monthly regimen. I think I read that an Allen wrench is required, and that one is included with the BDB - but I don't think I had noticed it in the boxes of accessories. I'll take another look.

May I ask what grinder do you use?
I just purchased a Sette 270 to go with the BDB. Though I'm not certain that I'll be keeping it. There appear to be some problems with it, and I'm having concerns given the number of issues I've seen posted here.

Cheers!