Breville Dual Boiler "Slayer shots"? - Page 73

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Idfixe

#721: Post by Idfixe »

Nice! Looks like a mini me slayer!

enshongmiranda

#722: Post by enshongmiranda »

Completely reversible too, well, except the hole I drilled for the screw stopper. You can adjust the levers to whatever position you want them to be for the most convenient for you.

Advertisement
cmin

#723: Post by cmin »

Edit

BaristaBob

#724: Post by BaristaBob »

enshongmiranda wrote:Completely reversible too, well, except the hole I drilled for the screw stopper. You can adjust the levers to whatever position you want them to be for the most convenient for you.
So cool...where did you get the parts?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

enshongmiranda

#725: Post by enshongmiranda replying to BaristaBob »

They're off the shelf stuff. The handles are wax stamp handles while the clamps are for bikes/motorcycles.

enshongmiranda

#726: Post by enshongmiranda »

How it works in action!

Nico74

#727: Post by Nico74 »

Hi everyone,
I am new to home barista, but have been reading through alot of the threads, I am looking at purchasing a breville infuser, and was wondering, if I could get the parts that are used for the bdb slayer mod ie. Needle valve to control the water flow, whether that would be better than doing a dimmer mid to control the pump voltage to control flow? Or would it make any difference? Also can I use the brass ukla pump and brass opv used in the bdb mod on a breville infuser to control the pump pressure?
Thanks for any advise and sorry if I have put this in the wrong thread.
Nicholas

Advertisement
PooB

#728: Post by PooB »

Hi all,

I am new to the BDB world with my Sette 270. I brew light to medium roast. I am still struggling with the preinfusion settings and I hope someone can give me further advice.
Currently I am experimenting preinfusion presure of 55% for 20s. Since in the past Scott Rao mentioned ideally preinfusion should be done with minimum 0 bar pressure to fully "soak" the coffee puck before full pressure. However, sometimes I may or may not see the first drip after the 20s of preinfusion..

Should I go further and longer for the preinfusion, like 30s with 55% pressure (but will it be too long for preinfusion time since I see most of the preinfusion are within 10-15s)? Or should I increase the preinfusion pressure to 60%/65% and shorten the preinfusion time until first drip?

Also, there is no doubt that preinfusion allows us to grind finer, but after preinfsuion, the flow rate is so fast for achieving 1:2-2.5 ratio, total brew time is around 40-45s including 20s preinfusion time. Any full pressure brew time range recommended if I am going for a preinfusion till first drip? Because I don't know how fine should I grind if there is no a rough time range for extraction after preinfusion first drip...

Thanks a lot.

Jessipoo

#729: Post by Jessipoo »

Hi there
first post, made an account just to post.
I got a BDB last year, I've been looking into this mod for a while especially because I love an Ethiopian natural light, and it seems easy enough but I'm more visual (video) and the reading the text is confusing me. I'm pretty DIY but I really don't want to mess any of this up.

I saw Andy's video which has been extremely helpful in understanding the routing of the tubes and such.
From what I understand there is just 1 thing that needs to be done before then and that's to remove the microswitch? What does that look like and all I have to do is remove it from the holder and it's "disconnected"? (must like taking out a battery from something?

Secondly, the part that confuses me in that video and this mod (unless there is another way) is blocking the water spigot with the silicone seal. Does that mean that water is going into there? and what happens to that water in there? does it just sit there or is it getting sucked back into a tube somewhere? That's the one part I'm afraid of and don't get preventing me from doing this mod.

Do I just follow Andy's mod + microswitch and I'm good to go?
The only thing I'd need to buy is something to seal the water spigot?

Thanks so much in advance! I think I'll make a video tutorial of this so it's clearer for other people, though I won't understand the ins and outs of things.

luvmy40

#730: Post by luvmy40 replying to Jessipoo »

The microswitch in question is actuated by the water valve knob. All you need to do is take the mounting screws out and move it out of the way. You just let it hang or you can tape it to the side.

You can also go the real easy route and just move the water valve knob a few degrees clockwise on the stem. This lets you control flow to the group head by diverting some portion of the water to the spigot during the shot. It works exactly opposite of the Slayer Mod in that a closed valve gives full flow/pressure to the group head and the flow drops as you open the valve. The water gets diverted to the spigot and you can just dump it in the drain pan or collect it and return it to the reservoir.