Breville Dual Boiler "Slayer shots"? - Page 35

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#341: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Wowsers, Jake! If I followed this correctly, you are talking about a custom machined needle and seat, no? You couldn't incorporate "our" existing Jake valve, could you?

I would almost bet money, LM is already looking at something like this now that we are in the era of "whole shot through the needle". It's just too good, not to.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Jake_G
Team HB

#342: Post by Jake_G »

Being that I don't have an MP to tinker with, this will remain a distant dream of what could be. Incorporating our valve would be a distinct possibility, but the basic premise of any such solution is to meter the pressure port and leave the exhaust port wide open. Our valve is small enough to be cobbled into play if needed, but in practice it may be easier to just go with a completely custom solution. If nothing else, you've got the issue of clockwise movement to open the valve to contend with ;).

If this were an actual paying design gig, I'd look at what is currently there and then work within the confines of the existing parts to maximize functionality, fit and finish, and compatibility with existing off the shelf parts wherever possible (this means that I'd start by looking at the needle valve that lives in the GS/3 thermostatic mixing valves) :P

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704

maximatica

#343: Post by maximatica »

In light of the need/desire of some to shut off the pump with an inline switch, I came across this and thought it might be workable.

If there was an east way to get the antenna outside the case, it might be a nice subtle mod vs. drilling a hole for the switch to protrude etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0736 ... KPP9&psc=1

HTH.

Max./

maximatica

#344: Post by maximatica »

And is this the shower screen some are using in place of the stock?

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES900X ... way&sr=8-9

Their text comments on the stock surround being plastic and not retaining heat as well as their brass unit.

I did think the portafilter is a bit cooler to the touch than I would have anticipated vs. how my E61 unit felt when removed from the group.

Thanks for any tips/help.

Max./

#345: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

maximatica wrote:In light of the need/desire of some to shut off the pump with an inline switch, I came across this and thought it might be workable.

If there was an east way to get the antenna outside the case, it might be a nice subtle mod vs. drilling a hole for the switch to protrude etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0736 ... KPP9&psc=1

HTH.

Max./
Just so you know, I have already rigged a shutoff switch. It's supremely easy. Did I not share how I did it here in this thread? It's not wireless, mind you.
LMWDP #553

maximatica

#346: Post by maximatica replying to pcrussell50 »

Yes, I saw what you posted but did not see how you are actuating it.

Do you just have it positioned outside the machine or something?

I thought the wireless unit I found would make for a somewhat slick solution.

(also, implementing the wireless switch would be a just a little more involved that the 1 wire inline switch you used, but not by much).

Their remote is way too large but liveable.

Thanks,

Max./

#347: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Yes, positioned outside the machine. I made a cheesy stand/pedestal for it out of some 4 inch diameter gray plastic electrical conduit. This is an area where you can make it as trick and sano as your skill and creativity allows. The color of the conduit is complimentary to the color of my stainless veneer machine. But I cheesed it up with $0.69 ordinary light switch.

By the way re your shower screen link, that is the screen. I'm using that screen but the NT version which is identical except for being "nano quartz" coated. Which I'm not sure makes any difference over the regular one, and is the same price. There is some noise in the message traffic that the coated one might not stand up to espresso detergent, so I remove mine before detergent back flush. that The brass diffuser is nifty. Haven't seen that one before. Thanks for the point to that link, btw.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mrjag

#348: Post by mrjag »

maximatica wrote:Their text comments on the stock surround being plastic and not retaining heat as well as their brass unit.
McKnight (involved with the design team) commented that plastic was chosen because of it's insulating properties rather than as a cost cutting measure. The metal dispersion surround requires time to heat up and could lead to the first couple shots running cooler than it should. Flushing shots could be used to counteract this, but that's additional complexity that they wanted to avoid.

The downside seems to be less long term durability as some users have needed to replace theirs. I think you can use the dispersion screen with the stock surround, right Peter?

#349: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Very good, curiosity piquing post. I do not remember what Phil said about heat and the dispersion screen. Might have to search up some of his old posts.

1) The old -900 dispersion screens were aluminum coated with some kind non stick coating. The durability issue here was that the coating bubbled up for some people and caused some very light corrosion underneath. I think the issue here was not performance, but concern over possible health effects. This would have high conductivity like brass.

2) The current one is plastic. No durability issues that I've heard of. No coating to come off. The plastic feels like a phenolic resin, which has high thermal conductivity as plastics go. Phenolics are not thermoplastics, which can deform or melt in the presence of heat.

3) Yes, I use the IMS screen directly on the stock dispersion screen. Somebody else did a measurement and it's half or one mm smaller than the stock screen. No complaints about the fit.

The gadget geek in me is intrigued by the brass dispersion. Although I have my doubts if it will make significantly better espresso.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

diente_de_oro

#350: Post by diente_de_oro »

My Gaggia Classic died last week and I've spent the last few days trying to decide what to get as an upgrade. This thread convinced me to get the BDB. I plan on modding it as soon as I get it. Are there any accessories I need aside from the BDB to make this all work? Many thanks for all of the work you guys are doing.