Breville Dual Boiler "Slayer shots"? - Page 27

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#261: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

mrjag wrote:No rush, but would you mind taking a pic of the rewiring next time you have the top open? I'd like to adopt this mod but I'm clueless about the wiring and would hate to fry something with guesswork.
Sure. You juuust caught me on the first day of a four day trip so I will be gone till late a Sunday night. I'll try to post a pic of a schematic when I get to my hotel tonight. It's ridiculously simple. Promise.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

bach

#262: Post by bach »

This whole thread is insane. Makes me want to buy a BDB again and tinker, even though I promised myself to never do it again :cry:

BOR15

#263: Post by BOR15 replying to bach »

Never to buy one or tinker?

You need a BDB..... you need a BDB

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#264: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Pump shutoff switch... You will use this to interrupt power to the pump during a shot so you can soak and bloom, if it is the kind of bean that does well with this technique. When you throw the switch, the pump will stop, but the solenoid will stay energized so the shot is not wasted by venting the pressure overboard. You will hear the electrical hum of the solenoid in it's energized state.

Stock BDB pump with the red wire:

BDB with a switch thrown in, to interrupt power to the pump:

Buy a small pack of 14-16 gauge male and female blade connectors at Home Depot and a roll of 14 or 16 gauge wire and any on-off switch you like. I actually used a $0.69 regular wall switch, not a fancier toggle like the one I drew.

You will have to figure out where and how you want to run your switch wire outside your machine. I ran mine out where the needle valve knob attaches. It works for me, because I am not using the stock Breville knob right now. I'm using something much smaller diameter, so there is room for the wires to exit the machine.

So now I have full flow control of the machine from as low a debit as I want, to full flow, AND the ability to shut off the pump without terminating the shot. It's now almost overwhelming, the capability now. I seriously need to improve my barista knowledge so I can learn what techniques to use on what beans to take full advantage of this.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mrjag

#265: Post by mrjag »

Anyone know how to remove the water knob and valve (left side of the machine? I thought that it would be an easy process: remove 2 screws attaching it to the metal angle bracket, disconnect the hoses, then slide out of the case. It still feel firmly attached with the screws out.

Jake_G
Team HB

#266: Post by Jake_G »

mrjag wrote:Anyone know how to remove the water knob and valve (left side of the machine? I thought that it would be an easy process: remove 2 screws attaching it to the metal angle bracket, disconnect the hoses, then slide out of the case. It still feel firmly attached with the screws out.<image>
The knob pulls straight off revealing two screws that secure the white ring to the machine. Make sure the valve is securely closed and make note of the orientation of the knob prior to removal as there is a cam track that rides against the hot water switch that also serves as a mechanical stop, providing a limit to how far the valve opens.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Spitz.me

#267: Post by Spitz.me »

bach wrote:This whole thread is insane. Makes me want to buy a BDB again and tinker, even though I promised myself to never do it again :cry:
I have been pulling shots at home with very capable machines since 2009. Ten years later, I'm pulling the best shots ever with the BDB. This is not hyperbole. I'm pulling the tastiest stuff I've ever had at home.

Regretting not getting one years earlier. I modified mine with the help of Peter and Jake. I was overwhelmed with the fear of making it worse by taking a wrong step, but it is actually an incredibly straight forward and easy mod. Just make sure you deactivate the hot water switch by removing it from it's compartment!
LMWDP #670

johnny4lsu

#268: Post by johnny4lsu »

Any chance someone can make a video explaining the mod? I am always intimidated to do stuff like this.

ETA: I browsed through the thread and didn't see a video. Correct me if it's already been done.

Spitz.me

#269: Post by Spitz.me replying to johnny4lsu »

I was planning on and if someone doesn't beat me to it, will post a process with pictures. You'll soon realize that 90% of your time will be spent fishing a tube from the solenoid to the hot water tap. I'll try to get to this tonight!
LMWDP #670

johnny4lsu

#270: Post by johnny4lsu replying to Spitz.me »

You rock! Thanks!