Breville Dual Boiler "Slayer shots"? - Page 25

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » Jan 01, 2019, 9:08 pm

Jake_G wrote:For those using the factory water knob, you should be able to re-purpose the stock hot water switch and run a couple wires from the pump to that switch such that when the valve is completely closed, the switch interrupts the power to the pump. Elegant, simple, effective and invisible 8). I'll retain this capability on your "Jake valve" adapter, Peter.

I've had my pump kill switch for the better part of a year, and used it for line pressure preinfusion before I got my valve installed. It seemed natural to kill the pump when doing a soak and bloom shot, so I use it for that as well.

Cheers!

- Jake

Another great idea!

B747VET

Postby B747VET » Jan 07, 2019, 5:49 pm

Very impressed with the creativity in this BDB mod thread. I had the first version of the BDB and upgraded it on a warranty issue to the current BDB when it first came out. Pretty happy for about 15 months but fell in love with the pressure profiling abilities of the Vesuvius V2. Simply couldn't be happier with the V2 after about 15 months. So, the BDB has been relegated to our vacation home. Now I will definitely do this BDB mod this week. Very happy to not have to purchase a new machine to enable pressure profiling in both our homes.

I don't see how anyone could exist in the espresso world without pressure profiling as an option, especially on lighter roasts. Keep a log and develop a variety of grind and shot profiles to suit differing beans and differing drinks.

Many thanks to all.

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » replying to B747VET » Jan 08, 2019, 12:24 am

It takes the BDB to a great value machine to a best (feature-wise) in any class machine IMO. The only machine I would consider buying, in addition, would be the DE1 Pro.

Spitz.me

Postby Spitz.me » Jan 11, 2019, 3:35 pm

I just want to say that this thread forced my hand to buy a BDB... just sayin'.... FORCED. I'm loving it and I haven't even modded it. :shock:
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » replying to Spitz.me » Jan 11, 2019, 5:48 pm

Welcome to the BDB club. 8)

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Jan 11, 2019, 7:42 pm

Spitz.me wrote:I just want to say that this thread forced my hand to buy a BDB... just sayin'.... FORCED. I'm loving it and I haven't even modded it. :shock:

Welcome. Even the regular stock pre infusion (programmable) gives a lot more flexibility and capability than some very expensive and capable machines out there. It microfoams very well, but I wouldn't challenge any of the big Italians to a steaming speed drag race.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » replying to pcrussell50 » Jan 12, 2019, 8:17 pm

Ha-ha! Spoken from the mod-father himself. :wink:

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » replying to eltakeiteasy » Jan 13, 2019, 5:12 pm

LOL, cute name.

But let's not forget, we all have a role to play here. In addition to being our BDB mirror and built-in scale expert, you have some serious chops in development and control systems, and Jake in fluid mechanics, valve selection, and circuits and controls as well. Further, I have been contacted by PM, by some folks who have done the mod already, but they don't talk about it publicly. They will have valuable input on new and interesting techniques for getting the most out of a bean from a modded machine. This is a community effort to be sure.

-Peter
LMWDP #553