Breville Dual Boiler "Slayer shots"? - Page 25

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eltakeiteasy

#241: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Jake_G wrote:For those using the factory water knob, you should be able to re-purpose the stock hot water switch and run a couple wires from the pump to that switch such that when the valve is completely closed, the switch interrupts the power to the pump. Elegant, simple, effective and invisible 8). I'll retain this capability on your "Jake valve" adapter, Peter.

I've had my pump kill switch for the better part of a year, and used it for line pressure preinfusion before I got my valve installed. It seemed natural to kill the pump when doing a soak and bloom shot, so I use it for that as well.

Cheers!

- Jake
Another great idea!
LMWDP #672.

B747VET

#242: Post by B747VET »

Very impressed with the creativity in this BDB mod thread. I had the first version of the BDB and upgraded it on a warranty issue to the current BDB when it first came out. Pretty happy for about 15 months but fell in love with the pressure profiling abilities of the Vesuvius V2. Simply couldn't be happier with the V2 after about 15 months. So, the BDB has been relegated to our vacation home. Now I will definitely do this BDB mod this week. Very happy to not have to purchase a new machine to enable pressure profiling in both our homes.

I don't see how anyone could exist in the espresso world without pressure profiling as an option, especially on lighter roasts. Keep a log and develop a variety of grind and shot profiles to suit differing beans and differing drinks.

Many thanks to all.

eltakeiteasy

#243: Post by eltakeiteasy replying to B747VET »

It takes the BDB to a great value machine to a best (feature-wise) in any class machine IMO. The only machine I would consider buying, in addition, would be the DE1 Pro.
LMWDP #672.

Spitz.me

#244: Post by Spitz.me »

I just want to say that this thread forced my hand to buy a BDB... just sayin'.... FORCED. I'm loving it and I haven't even modded it. :shock:
LMWDP #670

eltakeiteasy

#245: Post by eltakeiteasy replying to Spitz.me »

Welcome to the BDB club. 8)
LMWDP #672.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#246: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:I just want to say that this thread forced my hand to buy a BDB... just sayin'.... FORCED. I'm loving it and I haven't even modded it. :shock:
Welcome. Even the regular stock pre infusion (programmable) gives a lot more flexibility and capability than some very expensive and capable machines out there. It microfoams very well, but I wouldn't challenge any of the big Italians to a steaming speed drag race.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

eltakeiteasy

#247: Post by eltakeiteasy replying to pcrussell50 »

Ha-ha! Spoken from the mod-father himself. :wink:
LMWDP #672.

#248: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to eltakeiteasy »

LOL, cute name.

But let's not forget, we all have a role to play here. In addition to being our BDB mirror and built-in scale expert, you have some serious chops in development and control systems, and Jake in fluid mechanics, valve selection, and circuits and controls as well. Further, I have been contacted by PM, by some folks who have done the mod already, but they don't talk about it publicly. They will have valuable input on new and interesting techniques for getting the most out of a bean from a modded machine. This is a community effort to be sure.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#249: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

In the flow profiling world, it appears a whole new lingo is developing out of need. With full control like we have, we can exchange ideas for what works best for different classes of bean and roast.

Terms like: "rule of thirds" "Slayer Profile" "Declining Slayer Profile" "blooming", "super lungos" etc... All enter our lexicon when we have the capability, and want to discuss what works with what bean.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#250: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

EDITED. Success

Well by now it's no secret that we have full, on the fly, flow control capability if we wish. Using an American gridiron football reference, the "touchdown" has been scored. But what about the "extra point"? The "gravy" on top of the main course? I am considering this the ability to shut off the pump while the three way valve remains energized, (not venting the puck pressure overboard). So that we can wet the puck with the pump, and then shut it off and let it soak for 30s or so. Just worked on that today, a little bit. And? Big Success.

Now, we can soak and bloom with the pump off, but the solenoid still energized. Now in fairness we could soak and bloom before, with the pump still running, by closing the needle valve. It's just that soaking and blooming with the pump off is more elegant... And probably easier on the pump. Although I consider pumps to be consumables, because they are cheap to buy and easy to replace.

ETA: Credit to Jake_G as usual and DE1 Jayson for opening my eyes to the usefulness of blooming.

-Peter
LMWDP #553