Breville Dual Boiler Requiring Vacillating Grind Settings - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bret

#11: Post by Bret »

These long slow drippy pulls are amazing. I'm ranging from 50-70+ seconds as my standard, now. The 30 second range is, I believe, considered standard primarily due to the time constraints of busy cafes. Both Ryan and I are getting savory/sweet thick-emulsions from the slow drip phase of the shots. He is doing it with low pressure preinfusion and pressure profiling. I am doing it without either, but probably grinding finer.

The BDB lets us easily experiment with all of these options. So much fun.

forgetcolor (original poster)

#12: Post by forgetcolor (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy, curious, what's the PI recommendation for 17ft Ceiling?

pcrussell50

#13: Post by pcrussell50 »

cannonfodder wrote:You are seriously pulling a 60 second long shot?
I haven't watched this particular video, but elta/Ryan and a few others of us have been using Breville's ability to program pre infusion pressure and duration for looong, slooow, Slayer-style shots.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

eltakeiteasy

#14: Post by eltakeiteasy »

forgetcolor wrote:eltakeiteasy, curious, what's the PI recommendation for 17ft Ceiling?
Blue Bottle does not use PI for any of their roasts so I would leave it at zero. I have not tried any other BB roast as I thought Hayes was way too dark of a roast for my liking. Is 17ft as dark or lighter? For darker roast, I do not do any PI. I only PI for light roast.
LMWDP #672.

#15: Post by forgetcolor (original poster) »

17ft ceiling is also a dark roast, though not as oily as Hayes (based on a couple bags I've tried)

eltakeiteasy

#16: Post by eltakeiteasy replying to forgetcolor »

Try to get your hands on a light roast. I think you will enjoy it a lot more. My personal belief is that the oils in these beans are causing you to dial them in multiple times per day as they dry out. I have dialed in the same Hayes Valley 4 times in one day and that is storing them in a single dosing cellar.
LMWDP #672.

#17: Post by forgetcolor (original poster) »

You have a light roast to suggest?

I've been pulling shots on single origin light roasts for the last year (from a local roaster). They were good, and I definitely enjoyed them. But while it took me a bag or two to adjust to the intensity of flavor in the Blue Bottle dark roasts, I've really been enjoying them now that I've adjusted. But I'm definitely open to trying more light roasts.

eltakeiteasy

#18: Post by eltakeiteasy replying to forgetcolor »

I just bought this and so far it's phenomenal: https://www.lacabra.dk/products/coffee-bundle

Really amazing flavor and great for pour over and espresso!
LMWDP #672.

sarchasm

#19: Post by sarchasm »

RE longer extraction times, I was at an Intelligentsia Cafe recently to try a shot of their Black Cat Classic Espresso before purchase, and surprisingly (to me) the barista said he doses 18g in for 40 secs. for 51g out (obviously not on a BDB), said the longer extraction time brought out the sweetness. It was tasty (which I have not replicated on my BDB)