Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 97

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
tokarev

#961: Post by tokarev »

luvmy40 wrote:Those dimensions match the ones from Breville.
Thanks for the confirmation! I was just amazed that Amazon listed any fluorosilicone o-rings at all, let alone the correct size for the BDB.

Edit: forgot quote.
John M.

fauxk

#962: Post by fauxk »

JotaDe wrote:Hi folks, I've been diagnosing a leak on my BES990 (oracle touch) and it's coming from the 3 probes on the steam boiler (Breville Oracle Touch - Need to debug and repair heating issues). I already replaced the larger o-rings, but the leak is specially coming out of the top of the probe so I purchased 5 x 2 x 1.5mm o-rings o-rings for that. My question now is how do I get those little o-rings into place without damaging them? I can't see how to disassemble the probe so the o-rings need to stretch a good bit to get in place. Is that how folks do it (maybe with some silicone lube)?

Others seem to have done it, including fauxk from page 94.
Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance
I have not actually had to replace my orings, I just used some food safe silicone lubricant on them and they sealed right up. Have been fine since. If they start to leak again I will probably replace the o-rings now that I have spare ones.

Valo_Soul

#963: Post by Valo_Soul »

Hello all! I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it exactly.

Is it normal for the BDB to only take in a small bit of water to the boilers when descaling? I notice the pump runs for maybe 10 seconds when hitting the "1 cup" button during descale.. and then it sits for 20 mins.

After descaling, and turning on the machine as normal, the pump runs for MUCH longer to actually fill the boilers... maybe 45+ seconds.

Is this all normal? I'm using the V3 descaling method to a T, as found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKtuYailz_Y
My product serial number matches this version, so I just wanted to check. It seems so odd, because how can it descale the boiler if it's not filling the boiler with solution?

lancealot

#964: Post by lancealot »

In a way, it is normal. The BDB has been shown time and time again to fail in some way at running its descaling program. In the immortal words of Chuck D, "can't truss it." So it's normal that the BDB would malfunction when descaling.

In order to descale the steam boiler, the machine will have to fill the steam boiler to its normal operating level with descaling solution. It takes my machine a minute or two for the pump to fill the empty steam boiler, so, if yours only runs for 10 seconds, I'd say it's not going to adequately fill the boiler.

You my friend, are playing with fire. The BDB has been known to melt the thermal fuse on the steam boiler heating element during the descale cycle. Replacing the fuse is a most challenging repair. Informed owners would not risk using the descaling cycle.

You can manually descale. It's a hands on process that involves removing the cover, draining the boilers, removing a probe, and filling the boiler with descaling fluid manually thru the open probe bung. I've written out my process in one of these threads.

Valo_Soul

#965: Post by Valo_Soul »

Yowza..... not the news I wanted to hear.. but perhaps needed to hear. Thank you for this insight.

bringyoutomyhell

#966: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

Yep, new model revisions are supposedly less prone to wreck with the descale functions (the new firmware will show a blank LCD screen when doing the descale as you can see in this video at 0:38), but who knows. Better avoid anyway.

walter-

#967: Post by walter- »

I have an issue with overheating of the group head: I documented it in this thread.

Breville Dual Boiler Group Head overheating

Someone with experience who could comment? I think the issues lies with the Triacs, but as they seem to work 'sometimes' I am not 100% sure this explains the problem.

Walter

walter-

#968: Post by walter- »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:Yep, new model revisions are supposedly less prone to wreck with the descale functions (the new firmware will show a blank LCD screen when doing the descale as you can see in this video at 0:38), but who knows. Better avoid anyway.

actually strange: the instruction video is about draining the boilers: why would one go via the descale menu to drain the boilers and not just open the screw valves below with the machine off? Or is this video part of a set of videos on descaling?

walter-

#969: Post by walter- »

Spitz.me wrote:I've had my BDB sitting in the basement for about 6 months. It seems right to descale it since the water's been sitting around in the boilers.

Do you guys suggest I actually descale it or should I just run a ton of water through it?

to add to this: water in a boiler doing nothing will not cause issues with scale. The problem in a boiler is that scale gets released from the water from a certain warm temperature (somewhere above 60°C) and the scale attaches to heating elements or boiler walls.

So in this case, flushing the boilers should be enough.

bringyoutomyhell

#970: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

walter- wrote: actually strange: the instruction video is about draining the boilers: why would one go via the descale menu to drain the boilers and not just open the screw valves below with the machine off? Or is this video part of a set of videos on descaling?
Because in descale mode it opens the OPV valve and makes it easy for the boilers to fully empty. You then just switch off the machine not to run the descaling