Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 95

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dc_espresso

#941: Post by dc_espresso »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:I've read of some cutting the silicone from the lid of food containers, or like from a pan licker. I don't know if you have one nearby but IKEA kitchen aisle should have plenty of food safe stuff to cannibalize..
Cutting a piece of thin silicone from a food container won't be a perfect seal though? Is that all we're aiming for to block the water spigot? Something that blocks 90% of the waterflow?

Would love to see any pictures or examples from folks of what they put inside the water spigot who have done the Slayer mod to their BDB.

Anyone have health concerns with stale water also sitting in the spigot? I play to unscrew every week or so to let it out

bringyoutomyhell

#942: Post by bringyoutomyhell replying to dc_espresso »

Well, the included blank silicone disk work in the same way and it stops 99% of the water, many say it works, you can also put more than 1 layer of silicone. But personally I've yet to see how it's done, haven't slayered mine yet. And yes, stagnating water in the spigot is a minor concern, purging once in a while would be a good idea.

Did you already watch this? Around the 15:00 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSk2YWhsZY

iyayy

#943: Post by iyayy »

update one small difference of the ims screen.

it seems flow is faster/stronger.
whether that translate as positives, im not sure.

maybe, i see slightly more even bottom of puck color.
i use very fine grind, 8.6 bar shot with avg 10~15s pi.
on negative side, i seem to hit noticeable bitterness when i miss and pull 1-2s longer, im on low 10-14g dose anyways.. may have to fine tune my recipe or temp again.

hence not a straightforward upgrade (if any), both installation and benefit wise.
i'm keeping it anyways since it looks cool. :D

i do find bleeding hot water while brewing to control pressure easily allows me to pull longer and mellower shot, without really losing intensity.. kind of like the peak taste is wider instead of sharp. just reducing pressure at end of flow is easily done and noticeable in improvement.

mastermind6688

#944: Post by mastermind6688 »

Can you help to take a look if this group head water output is normal? I feel the water is not distributed evenly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJfIneih9YM

mastermind6688

#945: Post by mastermind6688 »

Can you help to take a look if this group head water output is normal? I feel the water is not distributed evenly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJfIneih9YM

dc_espresso

#946: Post by dc_espresso »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:Well, the included blank silicone disk work in the same way and it stops 99% of the water, many say it works, you can also put more than 1 layer of silicone. But personally I've yet to see how it's done, haven't slayered mine yet. And yes, stagnating water in the spigot is a minor concern, purging once in a while would be a good idea.

Did you already watch this? Around the 15:00 mark video
That's true re: the silicone disk. Yeah I did watch that video and the uncertainty in his voice wasn't convincing about whether the piece cut in a square-ish shape was a decent solution. Odd that so little has been shared about it to be honest. When are you planning on modding your machine?

bringyoutomyhell

#947: Post by bringyoutomyhell replying to dc_espresso »

Well plenty of people do that with random silicone pieces so I think it's the least of the problems. Mine is a refurb and I still have 11 months of warranty so not sure.. I know the o-rings need replacement eventually after 1 year-ish (not always) so I planned to check at that time. For now I'm enjoying the preinfusion + 9 bar life, I discovered that I don't like the acidity of light roasts so for now it's not a big deal not being able to profile my shots as I do with my Robot which I still have.

iyayy

#948: Post by iyayy »

mastermind6688 wrote:Can you help to take a look if this group head water output is normal? I feel the water is not distributed evenly

video
sry dint have good line earlier.

personally i wont mind that. the holes spacing are very small on the stock vs ims scattered cluster. mine is more or less similar.

and just like how water flow can converge when pulling shots on bottomless, it also happens here, except the water is being pushed directly behind the screen, so its more scattered.

on e61 / lever may be different, since some of those runs boiler pressure so water spreads out more because there is steam as well.

i pay more attention on evenness of dark spots on my puck instead.
you can also try pop it and clean the screen and the plastic distributor.

so with my puck prep which i am confident enough, i rarely see the spots on just one side of my bottom puck when i pull shot, its always scattered.
below is example with stock screen and vst15 pull stopped too early, long preinfusion and extra fine grind.

im not sure if it can be better, but im not complaining. i havnt seen any better from ims screen as well.

lancealot

#949: Post by lancealot »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:Well plenty of people do that with random silicone pieces so I think it's the least of the problems.
He said it. It is the least of problems. If you can cut the grey disc into a circle that's the right diameter for the space in the water spout, it'll work.

NeilKuo

#950: Post by NeilKuo »

Hi all
Thanks a lot for the discussion on this thread. Let me get a lot of help.

I have a question about backflush.

The design of the three-way valve(upper outlet). Will the sewage after backflush return to the boiler?

(the path of the arrow in the photo)