Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 93

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#921: Post by BaristaBob »

luvmy40 wrote:With the probe removed from the boiler, look at the top of the ceramic insulator. There is a tiny retaining clip on the metal stem. Remove that clip and push the stem down into the insulator. You will see the tiny O-Ring at the bottom of the insulaor is now exposed.
And post #907 lists the size of o-ring to use at the bottom of that probe.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

luvmy40

#922: Post by luvmy40 replying to BaristaBob »

NadelRan

#923: Post by NadelRan »

Agreed, I change all three o-ring on the temp probe on the steam boiler. I didn't need to grease it.

OneWayBet

#924: Post by OneWayBet »

I have a problem with my BES920, often when temp reaches brew point, steam starts travelling back from the steam boiler to the driptray. I recorded a video below, steam can be seen rising from the drip tray and the video also shows it travelling through an overflow hose inside.

See https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/5xOtasAEmZoW

Any help much appreciated! The machine is about 6 years old I guess, had several repairs, following many great guides on this forum!

Cheers,
OWB

dc_espresso

#925: Post by dc_espresso »

Hi folks, long time lurker. Thanks for all the wonderful information here :) I've owned a BES920 for about 18 months

Recently I heard a very faint hiss so I decided to purchase this Silicone O-ring set from eBay and replace some o-rings. I did some research on lube but decided against it because I couldn't work out which would work great with silicone.

I opened up the machine and inspected everything. The hiss appeared to be coming from top of the steam wand boiler. I replaced the o-rings on it but it appears to have made it much worse :shock: Now it hisses and bubbling appears on the top of the water probe as per this video I recorded (at around 23 seconds). I've re-done the o-rings trying to find a perfect fit 3-4x but it's quite a loose still. I should mention that after a while the hiss and bubbling goes away. It's not persistent, but it also wasn't happening a few weeks ago.

My 2 questions are:
1. Have I jumped the gun with trying to fix this? Not sure how to proceed and fix the water probe itself.
2. The water probe has some slight white colouring. I used scale free water (2L RO + a pinch of epsom and bicarb) and my solenoid looks quite clean. Is my water not right? What causes this?

luvmy40

#926: Post by luvmy40 replying to dc_espresso »

Did you replace the tiny o-rings on the bottom of the probe insulators? That is what causes that type of leak.

5mm x 2mm x 1.5mm https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MTD9ZJ5? ... ct_details

ThePorkTree

#927: Post by ThePorkTree »

Hey yall.
I got a pretty neglected 2 year old black 920XL recently, and after pulling some good shots and steaming well, just a week later (6ish drinks) the steam has randomly crapped out with 3 beeps when you try to actuate it.

I'm fine with this due to the price I got it for. I'm going to see if i can figure anything out when i take the top off for the first time, but i'm curious

Has anyone had their BLACK BDB replaced with another BLACK BDB recently? I filled out the form for Breville for repairs (because i don't feel super strongly i can easily diagnose this and 350 more dollars still puts me WELL under the price of a new one) and their database of machines to choose from had a word (i forget which) that made it seem as though I might not be able to get a black replacement.

dc_espresso

#928: Post by dc_espresso »

luvmy40 wrote:Did you replace the tiny o-rings on the bottom of the probe insulators? That is what causes that type of leak.

5mm x 2mm x 1.5mm https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MTD9ZJ5? ... ct_details
Did not know about these little guys. Thank you! :D

Having a difficult time pulling this apart or exposing the white o-ring. Any tips? Saw some posts about it around #800

Btw are these the same from eBay? need some from Australia :)

luvmy40

#929: Post by luvmy40 replying to dc_espresso »

They look like the same ones to me.

There is a very small retainer clip at the top of the probe insulator. Pull that off and the ro will slide down in the insulator to expose the o-ring. Be very careful not to lose that tiny little retainer clip!

Enerccio

#930: Post by Enerccio »

I bought brand new BES920CRN 10 days go. After starting it it had really hard noise but I thought it was just as it was filling the boiler for the first time. Afterwards, I had zero issues. This evening I wanted to make decaf but suddenly I had almost no water coming from the brew head and the loud noise was back. I did the error code checkup and errors 8 and 9 had 1. I did the full reset along with power rest and refilled my tank to almost full (was around half) and let it run for a while and water is back and I made one espresso. Question is, I am still within return time, should I send it back to get full refund and buy another unit? What could be the issue? I love the machine but I am kinda scared that there is an issue not even two weeks in... it could be a lemon but it will be pain to ship it back :(