Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 85

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fuddermucker

#841: Post by Fuddermucker »

I was thinking the crack wasn't normal, thank you!

I did find an awesome diagram someone else posted on here and I believe this is a single oring spot. Your response makes perfect sense, I did give it a try anyway and you're right on.. with 2 I couldn't get get the metal clip on.

After I posted this, I tried sealing this crack with some plumbers tape, and then putting the washer and oring over that. This seems to have stopped 99% of the water that was leaking. Looks like the cracked tubing is my issue.

I am guessing I will need to replace the tube for a long term fix, so I will start looking for that here shortly. Now that I have the machine on and not leaking, I think I should run a cleaning tab through it for the first time.

Fuddermucker

#842: Post by Fuddermucker »

I am wondering what my chances are of Breville repairing my BES900XL vs replacing it with a new/refurb.

Buying a used one was definitely a risk and I knew it would be a project, but I do wonder if sending it in to potentially get a new one would be better.

I can tell the previous user was not cleaning this machine, nor were they using water that wasn't hard. I deeply cleaned the inside and outside. I replaced multiple o-rings. With the large amount of scale I've found, I can't believe I haven't gotten the descale message yet.

It seems like my flow sensor is not working. I am currently dealing with the issue where if you use the single or double shot semi-automatic options the water simply never stops dispensing automatically like it's supposed to. The only way to stop it is to press the button again. This sensor seems to be sold out everywhere online. Cleaning the connection didn't fix the issue.

I also have a cracked hose coming out of my OPV and can't find a replacement part. I currently have some plumbers tape on it which stops most water, but is not an ideal long term fix.

My hot water dispenser slowly leaks, but the hard water leaking out of the top of that tube is so bad that the tube is pretty much stuck and I can't pull it out to clean/replace the o-ring. Maybe it's a good thing that this is rusted/stuck on with hard water, because I also noticed this one doesn't have a metal clip. Also leaking is the steam wand, but barely.

I feel like a lot of these I can figure out how to fix myself, but I'm worried about finding parts or what else might go wrong with it. I am also worried that this is an older model and I may do all of this work to fix it, only to get the descale message very soon.

Part of me really likes the idea of just forking over $400 and getting a new/refurb machine back, but I'm also worried that Breville won't consider the descaling factor and will simply charge me $400 to fix these couple of issues.. and then I end up needing a descale later anyway.

Any thoughts? I think I might reach out to them tomorrow to see what they say

luvmy40

#843: Post by luvmy40 replying to Fuddermucker »

You can try to send it to Breville, but the last I herad(from Breville USA), they are no longer servicing the 900 model. They offered a discount on the 920 instead.

cmin

#844: Post by cmin »

Fuddermucker wrote:I am wondering what my chances are of Breville repairing my BES900XL vs replacing it with a new/refurb.

Buying a used one was definitely a risk and I knew it would be a project, but I do wonder if sending it in to potentially get a new one would be better.

I can tell the previous user was not cleaning this machine, nor were they using water that wasn't hard. I deeply cleaned the inside and outside. I replaced multiple o-rings. With the large amount of scale I've found, I can't believe I haven't gotten the descale message yet.

It seems like my flow sensor is not working. I am currently dealing with the issue where if you use the single or double shot semi-automatic options the water simply never stops dispensing automatically like it's supposed to. The only way to stop it is to press the button again. This sensor seems to be sold out everywhere online. Cleaning the connection didn't fix the issue.

I also have a cracked hose coming out of my OPV and can't find a replacement part. I currently have some plumbers tape on it which stops most water, but is not an ideal long term fix.

My hot water dispenser slowly leaks, but the hard water leaking out of the top of that tube is so bad that the tube is pretty much stuck and I can't pull it out to clean/replace the o-ring. Maybe it's a good thing that this is rusted/stuck on with hard water, because I also noticed this one doesn't have a metal clip. Also leaking is the steam wand, but barely.

I feel like a lot of these I can figure out how to fix myself, but I'm worried about finding parts or what else might go wrong with it. I am also worried that this is an older model and I may do all of this work to fix it, only to get the descale message very soon.

Part of me really likes the idea of just forking over $400 and getting a new/refurb machine back, but I'm also worried that Breville won't consider the descaling factor and will simply charge me $400 to fix these couple of issues.. and then I end up needing a descale later anyway.

Any thoughts? I think I might reach out to them tomorrow to see what they say
At most you'll get maybe a discount on a 920, they sure as heck aren't just replacing a 900 which they won't even service anymore. And even with 920 owners our of warranty the days of getting replacement machines are over, just a discount on another 920 is all they'll do. Just talked with someone that went through with that on their 920 just our of warranty. Breville has like 0 parts, they still don't have solenoids and other things so their not wasting anything. They can just barely supply machines to retailers.

Fuddermucker

#845: Post by Fuddermucker replying to cmin »

Thanks for the information, I certainly appreciate it. I just reached out to them on their customer portal and explained my situation and some of the things that are wrong with my machine. I am not expecting them to do anything for me, but it definitely doesn't hurt to ask. I will come back to my post and update with what they respond with, in case any others end up in my shoes.

Part of me is really regretting buying this goodwill machine, but I also had a very good espresso this morning with it so I know the potential is there and will most likely be trying to find parts/fix it.

bringyoutomyhell

#846: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

Guys, quick question based on your knowledge of the reliability of this machine.

Would you prefer to buy an "as new" refurbished Dual Boiler (basically unused, only tested, no signs of use) with 12 months of warranty for 750$, or would you buy a brand new Dual Boiler from a retailer with 5 years of combined warranty (2 by law + 3 extended) for 1150$?

The second option would also grant me my preferred color (Black truffle) instead than silver. The offer on the black one expires today.. I can tinker inside a machine if needed, but of course I also like the pace of mind. Not sure if it's worth 50% more though

Thanks!

Fuddermucker

#847: Post by Fuddermucker replying to bringyoutomyhell »

It sounds like you are interested in keeping the machine for a while, personally IMO the peace of mind + getting the color you want to actually look at for YEARS in your kitchen is worth the extra $. And even if you splurge on that one, it will hold its value decently well as long as you care for it. HOWEVER, the deal on the refurb is damn good too. I bought my first machine in bad condition (it was very neglected), don't have much experience fixing much of anything, but was able to easily take the machine apart and fix a few things myself.

Also... who is selling the black BDB for 1150? I am intrigued

luvmy40

#848: Post by luvmy40 »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:Guys, quick question based on your knowledge of the reliability of this machine.

Would you prefer to buy an "as new" refurbished Dual Boiler (basically unused, only tested, no signs of use) with 12 months of warranty for 750$, or would you buy a brand new Dual Boiler from a retailer with 5 years of combined warranty (2 by law + 3 extended) for 1150$?

The second option would also grant me my preferred color (Black truffle) instead than silver. The offer on the black one expires today.. I can tinker inside a machine if needed, but of course I also like the pace of mind. Not sure if it's worth 50% more though

Thanks!
I'D SAY THE NEW WITH 5 YEAR WARRANTY FOR $1150 IS AN UNBEATABLE DEAL!

bringyoutomyhell

#849: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

Fuddermucker wrote: It sounds like you are interested in keeping the machine for a while, personally IMO the peace of mind + getting the color you want to actually look at for YEARS in your kitchen is worth the extra $. And even if you splurge on that one, it will hold its value decently well as long as you care for it. HOWEVER, the deal on the refurb is damn good too. I bought my first machine in bad condition (it was very neglected), don't have much experience fixing much of anything, but was able to easily take the machine apart and fix a few things myself.

Also... who is selling the black BDB for 1150? I am intrigued
I'll let you know in a bit. Anyway it's in Europe. I'm leaning towards the new machine. In EU we have 2 years of warranty by law, the machine would be $1045 and the +3 years warranty (actually insurance) is an optional $105 extra. But I think it's worth it because the machine will probably start to break after the first couple years.. I actually wanted a Decent Espresso but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much.. and at that price I can only get basic E61 machines which break anyway.
luvmy40 wrote:I'D SAY THE NEW WITH 5 YEAR WARRANTY FOR $1150 IS AN UNBEATABLE DEAL!
Thanks!

luvmy40

#850: Post by luvmy40 »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:I'll let you know in a bit. Anyway it's in Europe. I'm leaning towards the new machine. In EU we have 2 years of warranty by law, the machine would be $1045 and the +3 years warranty (actually insurance) is an optional $105 extra. But I think it's worth it because the machine will probably start to break after the first couple years.. I actually wanted a Decent Espresso but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much.. and at that price I can only get basic E61 machines which break anyway.

Thanks!

Is that 1150 USD or Euros?