Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 81

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luvmy40

#801: Post by luvmy40 »

I di find some 1 mm ID 1 mm CS silicone o-rings on amazon https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Bearing-P ... 0365&psc=1

But, in retrospect, they are probably too large with a 3 mm ID. My statement earlier about the CS was obviously erroneous. The CS must be .5 mm to get 1 ID 2 OD.

Alloftheabove

#802: Post by Alloftheabove »

luvmy40 wrote:There is, indeed an O-Ring in the base of the insulator. I broke it getting off but I got some decent measurements. it looks like .9-1 mm ID, 1.9-2 mm OD, 1 mm CS.
Thanks for confirming these aren't coming off too easy.

I think you might be misreading your calipers. While still on the probe I got something around 5mm outside diameter which wiggles a little bit inside the ceramic. The probe shaft is around 2.55mm diameter.

These rings are smaller than anything I have on hand. Maybe they use 1.3mm CS x 2.5mm ID metric rings? I can only find them in nitrile.

Size 004 might be tight, but a large online retailer has some silicone 5mm x 2mm x 1.5's that might do the trick.

EDIT: 5 x 2 x 1.5mm o-rings do work. Problem solved on my end.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#803: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Hi everybody. While I'm still not here to participate in HB, I said when I left that I would continue to try to keep the guide in post #1 of this thread up to date and relevant so...

...I added a second paragraph to item 6 under the maintenance section. It is an ifixit guide to removing the group and the steam boiler. This has application if you have an older BDB and want to upgrade to the latest group with the two-piece collar inserts that are cheap and easy to replace. Also, because it involves removing the steam boiler, it should provide easy access to the thermal fuse in case you melted yours during a descale gone bad. Don't descale. Use good water. ;)

Hope all else is good with you all. The community of motivated BDB users is a great bunch. I have seen growing evidence of BDB users getting savvier and savvier with less and less need for me. That is good. As for me, I have added another machine to my stable, a Londinium. It is plumbed in off the same line as my plumbed BDB using a T fitting. the BDB off to the left, and the new machine off to the right. I set it up with an adjustable regulator so it can have adjustable pre infusion pressure.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

lancealot

#804: Post by lancealot »

Peter! It's great hear from you. Thanks for stopping by.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#805: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) » replying to lancealot »

Hi Chris. Good to hear from you. Your very useful addition to the "GS/3MP mod" to send water back to the tank, continues to be a welcome player in the segment of BDB users who are not yet game for Slaying. I try to credit you for it every chance I get. It was brilliant.

===

Another sort of a mod for people who are interested... The SEP (smart espresso profiler), is a bluetooth pressure logger that is making a bit of a splash in the direct lever community such as with the Pavoni/Cremina twins, (I have a couple of Pavonis). Anyway, some people have added them to their BDB's. Another (an engineer), has created his own bluetooth pressure logger. You T the sensor into the pressure gauge line. So you can see and adjust your pressure on the fly. The only reason I haven't put it in the mods section is that I haven't done it myself. But I mention it here in case people are interested.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

luvmy40

#806: Post by luvmy40 »

Alloftheabove wrote:Thanks for confirming these aren't coming off too easy.

I think you might be misreading your calipers. While still on the probe I got something around 5mm outside diameter which wiggles a little bit inside the ceramic. The probe shaft is around 2.55mm diameter.

These rings are smaller than anything I have on hand. Maybe they use 1.3mm CS x 2.5mm ID metric rings? I can only find them in nitrile.

Size 004 might be tight, but a large online retailer has some silicone 5mm x 2mm x 1.5's that might do the trick.
Yeah, not sure where I pulled those numbers from. I just checked again and I get2.55 mm probe diameter and 4.75 ODF on the O-Ring when installed. Keeping in mind these are the O-Rings that were leaking.

dannok

#807: Post by dannok »

Hi Everyone!

Long time lurker - first time poster.

With the help of info in this thread I have recently replaced my steam boiler thermal fuse and thermostat (previous steam leak caused corrosion on the thermostat and the wires broke off...)

Anyway I have now reassembled the machine but the steam boiler is still stone cold. Pumps, NTCs, and coffee boiler are working fine. No errors occurring in diagnostic menu. I have continuity through thermal fuse > element > thermostat all the way back to the triac and 47ohms on element which all seems good just no power to the steam element.

Everything was working fine prior to the wire coming loose, would it be possible that the triac was damaged during this 'event', maybe the wire touched the boiler or something and shorted?? and is now stuck in an off or open state? All triac issues I've seen are the opposite being stuck in closed state resulting in overheating...

Cheers

mwainwright

#808: Post by mwainwright »

Hi all - I need to replace both of the short probes in my brew boiler. One ceramic insulator has split and the other probe has swollen or distorted enough that I can't remove it easily. I'd like to hear if anyone else has had issues with their brew boiler probes. The steam boiler probes look to be fine. I've been regularly replacing boiler o-rings and doing other maintenance. Thanks

Three Lions

#809: Post by Three Lions »

Hello all,

A quick question...

I have noticed lately that the pressure gauge on my BDB does not seem to go up as much as it used to. I installed the non-perforated filter basket today to do a back flush and cleaning and I observed that the pressure only went up to 7 bars. It used to go up to about 10 - 10 ½ with the non-perforated filter basket in place. While pulling a shot, the pressure never goes above 5 bars anymore.

Where should I look first? Is this likely a failing or worn out pump?

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate any help you can offer in pointing me in the right direction.

luvmy40

#810: Post by luvmy40 »

Pump failing or OPV failing or leakin in one of the associated water lines. I'd bet on the pump.