Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 80

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ash_AU

#791: Post by Ash_AU »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the size of the steam wand o ring is for the BES920(xl)?

Thanks. Ash

BaristaBob

#792: Post by BaristaBob replying to Ash_AU »

For the steam wand, I believe that's easily purchased through the Breville online store, I posted the link for you. Is your's leaking? I'm six years into this machine and steam milk 3X a day, no leaking yet. One tip, I always wipe the wand and tip clean right after steaming.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/parts-ac ... =SP0001705
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Alloftheabove

#793: Post by Alloftheabove »

I received a new 920 to replace a wellllllllll used 900 back in December. I had confidence in the new design. It's been under 5 months... It has already developed leaks at the steam boiler. I found the culprit to be o-rings between the stainless probe and the ceramic insulator. Outer o-rings seem fine. I replaced lots of seals on my old machine but I don't remember even considering these before. Anyone else run into this? Kind of hard to replace with the welded tab on top and I'd hate to snap the old o-ring before being able to put new ones on.

BaristaBob

#794: Post by BaristaBob replying to Alloftheabove »

I know others have experienced this problem, though yours might me a record setter at 5 months. My 920 is almost 6 years old and at this point have replaced every o-ring there is to replace...but not a single probe seal. I do have one at the steam boiler that will throw a little sprites. I placed some food grade silicone sealer/lube on it and that has stopped it, at least for now. Search the site for what others have said/done to remedy this problem. I do recall that at least one person on HB purchased new probes to solve the issue.

Best of luck!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

luvmy40

#795: Post by luvmy40 »

I have a set of probes sitting at home waiting for my return. My BDB is about a year old and they started leaking through the ceramic insulator. My first BDB, bought used was 5 years old and the probes didn't leak until I broke one doing other maint.

https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/ ... -included/

lancealot

#796: Post by lancealot »

Alloftheabove wrote: I found the culprit to be o-rings between the stainless probe and the ceramic insulator.
Thanks for your work on this.

Asking a question to clarify.

At the top of the probe where the welded tab is, there is an "e clip." You have removed the e clip and that allows the metal probe shaft to slide down in the ceramic insulator, partially exposing an o ring on the shaft at the bottom end of the insulator? In your 2nd picture, this o ring appears white and it is located where the blue arrow is pointed?

Please let me know if I am reading you correctly. Many of us have experienced leaking from the tops of these probes. However no one has done a dissection as you have done and determined that there is an o ring up in the sleeve. This could be another BDB maintenance breakthrough!

Alloftheabove

#797: Post by Alloftheabove »

lancealot wrote:You have removed the e clip and that allows the metal probe shaft to slide down in the ceramic insulator, partially exposing an o ring on the shaft at the bottom end of the insulator?
Yep!
Good to know there's a source for these parts. I did chip one or two of my old BDB insulators when changing o-rings, but luckily never had any leaks because of it.
BaristaBob wrote:I placed some food grade silicone sealer/lube on it and that has stopped it, at least for now.
That's basically what I did. Reassembled with a little lubrication and I jiggled all of them until they're not audibly hissing. Lowered the steam temp too... All 3 are pretty loose and a little effervescent unfortunately.

Just curious. Does anyone know what Breville's policy is on replacing replacement machines? Is it a 90 day warranty or 1 year? I asked Breville but received the catch all response. "After reviewing the details, service repair of your appliance is necessary."

As is the theme of this thread: It's hardly worth the risk of shipping a machine over $.30 worth of o-rings. I especially don't want to ship this machine back just to be offered another $435.50 replacement.

NeilKuo

#798: Post by NeilKuo »

After reading a lot about BDB at HB. I chose BDB as my first semi-automatic coffee machine.

I just wanted to post to put out a big thank you for this thread and Peter in general for starting and maintaining the thread that has helped so many people.

I currently want to keep the machine in pristine condition to learn how to make a good espresso.
(Although I have bought a Stainless Steel Precision Kit Compatible,brass pump and OPV)

Of course, it is very necessary to use rpavlis water from the beginning.

Here is my formula.with double spouted PF and df64 ssp mp
18g in
40g out
7 sec. preinfusion pp55
40 sec. total time (includes pi)
200F

Next step I want to buy new baskets to test different results, here are the items I currently want to buy as I don't live in the US and would like to know what parts are suggested on the EspressoParts site besides the baskets Did you buy it? Thank you very much for reading and sharing your thoughts.

1.Espresso Parts HQ 14g Ridgeless Style Double Portafilter Basket
2.Espresso Parts HQ 14 Gram Double Portafilter Basket
3.18 Gram Tall Double Portafilter Basket( Rancilio108basket)

luvmy40

#799: Post by luvmy40 »

lancealot wrote:Thanks for your work on this.

Asking a question to clarify.

At the top of the probe where the welded tab is, there is an "e clip." You have removed the e clip and that allows the metal probe shaft to slide down in the ceramic insulator, partially exposing an o ring on the shaft at the bottom end of the insulator? In your 2nd picture, this o ring appears white and it is located where the blue arrow is pointed?

Please let me know if I am reading you correctly. Many of us have experienced leaking from the tops of these probes. However no one has done a dissection as you have done and determined that there is an o ring up in the sleeve. This could be another BDB maintenance breakthrough!
I just disassembled one of the probes I replaced today. There is, indeed an O-Ring in the base of the insulator. I broke it getting off but I got some decent measurements. it looks like .9-1 mm ID, 1.9-2 mm OD, 1 mm CS. A quick google search turned up nothing.

lancealot

#800: Post by lancealot »

This is great!