Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 72

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
roxtc

#711: Post by roxtc »

Hey guys I think some of the CG resources are missing. I spent all night looking through all the old stuff but I can't seem to find something that might just also not be there because it's simple/self explanatory enough. I'm wondering if I need to replace all the seals, is there an image or video that can show me which ones exactly? I'm a bit new to all this so I'm hoping to get some direction instead of winging it.

luvmy40

#712: Post by luvmy40 »

OK31 wrote:Yup so the leaks persist maybe not as prevalent but... I do now have the new o-rings.

So the whole steam circuit you mean including all the hoses to/from boiler as well or just whatever leads to the steam wand?
At the very least, replace all the small o-rings on the PTFE tubing in the boiler side. All the ones on top of the steam boiler(including the brew HX lines), the fill line on the side of the boiler and the ones on the steam valve and after the steam valve. If you have the larger o-rings for the sensor probes, I'd replace them as well. If you don't have them atleast verify the sensors are not leaking before closing it up. Check the one on the steam boiler fill pump ouput, but it is probably OK as it does not see the high temps.

luvmy40

#713: Post by luvmy40 »

roxtc wrote:Hey guys I think some of the CG resources are missing. I spent all night looking through all the old stuff but I can't seem to find something that might just also not be there because it's simple/self explanatory enough. I'm wondering if I need to replace all the seals, is there an image or video that can show me which ones exactly? I'm a bit new to all this so I'm hoping to get some direction instead of winging it.
This might be what you are looking for.

boren

#714: Post by boren »

Does the Slayer mod impact reliability, usability or usefulness of the machine in any way? I have no need for a hot water spigot, so that's not an issue.

Is there a way to tell grouphead pressure while changing flow during extraction? Many claim that the brew pressure gauge on E61 machines is not representative of pressure in the grouphead while changing flow. Is it the same situation with the BDB?

luvmy40

#715: Post by luvmy40 »

I haven't done the full on Slayer mod. I just adjusted the water valve knob to increase flow control while spilling excess water from the spigot. Many have done the Slayer mod with no ill effects. Either is easily reversed.

The BDB's pressuer gauge shows pressure at the brew head. It directly relates to flow.

spacon4

#716: Post by spacon4 »

From researching this thread, among others, it seems that the following is a reasonable maintenance program for my new BDB...am I missing anything? Besides following the automated cleaning instructions that the BDB will prompt (and using the Breville cleaning tablets), should I be using "other" cleaning supplies/agents (e.g. Cafiza)?

DAILY
• Flush the screen in between every shot
• Backflush with water 10-20 seconds at full pressure until all grind remnants are purged at the end of every day
• Here is a link to a one-minute video from Phil McKnight, he was on Breville's payroll during the development of the 900-920XL Dual Boilers. I think he would know what's best, so I've been following this routine for the last few months after making my last shot for the evening...everything appears clean, and it uses a smaller amount of water.
o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpSSSYpq1I

WEEKLY
• Clean the water tank (although new Breville filter supposed to last 3-4 months)

MONTHLY
• Drop the shower screen and giving it more thorough clean
• Drain the steam boiler (maybe not necessary with good water)

YEARLY
• Flip the steam valve seals to avoid dripping Guide
• Change O-rings to avoid GFCI tripping, runaway heating, steam tubes hissing, and water puddle under machine (all caused when the boiler tops letting steam pass and wetting the control board under the lid) O-Rings How-to Guide
o When you do the o-rings, do NOT drop or lose the hairpin clips that hold the tube in the boiler or you will have to interrupt your repair to go to the store and get more. If you do, "7/32 hitch pin clip external" from the big orange home improvement chain are reported to work.
• Check Solenoid for scaling: if using "scale-free" water, should never have to replace or clean, but if change is necessary, open the cover and directly replace: replacement

spacon4

#717: Post by spacon4 »

Forgive the naive question, but what exactly is the water filter that is provided with the new BDB's useful for? If I intend on using distilled or R/O gallons of water, then mixing with Third Wave Water Espresso profile, should I still use that filter? FWIW, my tap water tests "mildly hard", even though I don't intend on using it...thanks!

luvmy40

#718: Post by luvmy40 »

spacon4 wrote:From researching this thread, among others, it seems that the following is a reasonable maintenance program for my new BDB...am I missing anything? Besides following the automated cleaning instructions that the BDB will prompt (and using the Breville cleaning tablets), should I be using "other" cleaning supplies/agents (e.g. Cafiza)?

DAILY
• Flush the screen in between every shot
• Backflush with water 10-20 seconds at full pressure until all grind remnants are purged at the end of every day
• Here is a link to a one-minute video from Phil McKnight, he was on Breville's payroll during the development of the 900-920XL Dual Boilers. I think he would know what's best, so I've been following this routine for the last few months after making my last shot for the evening...everything appears clean, and it uses a smaller amount of water.
o video

WEEKLY
• Clean the water tank (although new Breville filter supposed to last 3-4 months)

MONTHLY
• Drop the shower screen and giving it more thorough clean
• Drain the steam boiler (maybe not necessary with good water)

YEARLY
• Flip the steam valve seals to avoid dripping Guide
• Change O-rings to avoid GFCI tripping, runaway heating, steam tubes hissing, and water puddle under machine (all caused when the boiler tops letting steam pass and wetting the control board under the lid) O-Rings How-to Guide
o When you do the o-rings, do NOT drop or lose the hairpin clips that hold the tube in the boiler or you will have to interrupt your repair to go to the store and get more. If you do, "7/32 hitch pin clip external" from the big orange home improvement chain are reported to work.
• Check Solenoid for scaling: if using "scale-free" water, should never have to replace or clean, but if change is necessary, open the cover and directly replace: replacement
That regime would be excellent. You could go with Cafiza powder(1/2 tsp) rather than the over priced cleaning tabs.
1 year on the o-rings may be over kill, but would not be bad schedule.

luvmy40

#719: Post by luvmy40 »

spacon4 wrote:Forgive the naive question, but what exactly is the water filter that is provided with the new BDB's useful for? If I intend on using distilled or R/O gallons of water, then mixing with Third Wave Water Espresso profile, should I still use that filter? FWIW, my tap water tests "mildly hard", even though I don't intend on using it...thanks!
The filter that comes with the newer BDBs is a "softening" filter that may include some carbon/charcoal element. It is completely superfluous if you are using rpavlis or 3rd wave with distilled or good RO water.

spacon4

#720: Post by spacon4 »

Thank you!