Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 71

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luvmy40

#701: Post by luvmy40 »

Baris wrote:Cool, thank you. Now I need to find the handyman around me.

Is it possible to change only the collar like on this video with the one you have send me: video ?
You absoulutely could just replace the plastic collar. Personally, I'd update the group head as it is not that much more work to do so at that point. It is, however significantly more money.

If you do this yourself, that video is pretty good. The one change I would suggest is to just disconnect the brew boiler water level probe wires from the sensors rather than removing the sensors, unless you are going to replace the o-rings anyway.

Baris

#702: Post by Baris »

TBH I'm not handy enough to do any of these stuff unfortunately. I wish I was, but I don't want to mess up everything inside.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#703: Post by OK31 »

Looking for some guidance and advice on my 2019 BDB. It has been for a little dripping water from the steam wand which I understand should be a simple flip of the gasket/seal but it has also since started to drip water from around the mount point of the wand assembly AND the unit now seems to heat way too much. At 197F I can barely touch the top and it sounds like it's constantly boiling water I know this because it keeps hissing any time it's on after initial warmup.

I've tried taking it apart but got stuck on how to take the top off and for fear of breaking didn't proceed.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated

luvmy40

#704: Post by luvmy40 replying to OK31 »

You have one or more leaks in the steam circuit. Probably, atleast one at the steam valve assembly. Stop using the machine until you fix the leak(s) or you will have bigger problems.

Replace all the o-rings in the steam circuit and let the machine dry out with the top of for a couple days. This is also a good time to flip the steam valve seals.

There are several great videos on youtube to help you through removing the top of your BDB. Here is one I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3RScpzAan0
There are 2 cross tip screws, one on either side of the brew group that require a straight shaft driver to remove. Not anything longer than normal, just not the ubiquitous 6 way screw driver. Then there are 2 Torx screws on the back at the top of the rear panel. Those will allow the top to lift off. Be carefull not to stress the wiring.

If you remove a couple more screws, you can take the upper back panel off which makes it easier to set the top aside without stressing the wiring. You can also remove the triac board assy. from the top by removing 5 screws. The 2 screws that mount the board have plastic spacers. Don't lose them. With the triac board off, remove the ground wire screw from the top and you can set it aside completely.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#705: Post by OK31 replying to luvmy40 »

Thank you this is what I was afraid of. I ordered various rings and will go through this.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#706: Post by OK31 »

Flipped the seals and seems no leak. Problem with what I think is overheating persists. Any thoughts? The top just feels much hotter than 197 but maybe I'm paying too much attention?

luvmy40

#707: Post by luvmy40 »

Trust me. Replace all of the o-rings in the steam circuit. The machine is 3 years old and these o-rings start leaking between 2 and 3 years.

lancealot

#708: Post by lancealot »

You need to do what he said ^^^^
OK31 wrote:Flipped the seals and seems no leak. Problem with what I think is overheating persists. Any thoughts? The top just feels much hotter than 197 but maybe I'm paying too much attention?

OK31
Supporter ♡

#709: Post by OK31 »

luvmy40 wrote:Trust me. Replace all of the o-rings in the steam circuit. The machine is 3 years old and these o-rings start leaking between 2 and 3 years.
Yup so the leaks persist maybe not as prevalent but... I do now have the new o-rings.

So the whole steam circuit you mean including all the hoses to/from boiler as well or just whatever leads to the steam wand?

PooB

#710: Post by PooB »

Hi all,

I am new to the BDB world with my Sette 270. I brew light to medium roast. I am still struggling with the preinfusion settings and I hope someone can give me further advice.
Currently I am experimenting preinfusion presure of 55% for 20s. Since in the past Scott Rao mentioned ideally preinfusion should be done with minimum 0 bar pressure to fully "soak" the coffee puck before full pressure. However, sometimes I may or may not see the first drip after the 20s of preinfusion..

Should I go further and longer for the preinfusion, like 30s with 55% pressure (but will it be too long for preinfusion time since I see most of the preinfusion are within 10-15s)? Or should I increase the preinfusion pressure to 60%/65% and shorten the preinfusion time until first drip?

Also, there is no doubt that preinfusion allows us to grind finer, but after preinfsuion, the flow rate is so fast for achieving 1:2-2.5 ratio, total brew time is around 40-45s including 20s preinfusion time. Any full pressure brew time range recommended if I am going for a preinfusion till first drip? Because I don't know how fine should I grind if there is no a rough time range for extraction after preinfusion first drip...

Thanks a lot.