Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 7

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaveB

#61: Post by DaveB »

IMAWriter wrote:David, why not purchase the gasket directly from Cafelat? Purchase 2. If you don't want the 2nd, I'm sure someone will buy it from you. $7 US each,
The minimum shipping charge (via FedEx) is $33, which seems a bit much. :D
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

IMAWriter

#62: Post by IMAWriter replying to DaveB »

Strange. When I had my Strega, 2 gaskets shipping was something like $5 or something. Maybe you clicked on overnight, 1 day, etc?

cdo

#63: Post by cdo replying to IMAWriter »

Nah the cheaper options have been suspended due to overload with COVID, A lot of cheap shipping from Asia is taking in upwards of 3 months at the moment...

IMAWriter

#64: Post by IMAWriter replying to cdo »

Ah....

Cwilli62

#65: Post by Cwilli62 »

I have some questions about moving to a rotary pump. I really like the idea of quieter operation.

1) Has Peter or anyone else posted infirmation on how to go about doing this mod? I'm quite handy, but don't know much about rotary pumps, so thought I'd ask.

2) If you use a rotary pump does the machine necessarily have to be plumbed in? Again, showing my ignorance on the subject. I'm not currently in a position to have the machine where I can plumb it in.

3) Which pump to purchase if I eventually go this direction? Any suggestions?

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#66: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Cwilli62 wrote:I have some questions about moving to a rotary pump. I really like the idea of quieter operation.

1) Has Peter or anyone else posted infirmation on how to go about doing this mod? I'm quite handy, but don't know much about rotary pumps, so thought I'd ask.
I have not. Well Sort of. But it's ridiculously easy if you can hook up a push to connect under sink water filter.
2) If you use a rotary pump does the machine necessarily have to be plumbed in? Again, showing my ignorance on the subject. I'm not currently in a position to have the machine where I can plumb it in.
It's MUCH easier if you plumb. Mine is plumbed. Using a water line coming up out of the hole in the kitchen sink where the soap dispenser nobody uses already exists. The softening filter and pump are under the sink, like in the shops. My way requires no actual modding of the machine. Simply disconnect the output of the stock pump and replace with the output of the rotary pump. I can disconnect the rotary, reconnect the stocker, and send back to Breville for service if I ever have to.
{3) Which pump to purchase if I eventually go this direction? Any suggestions?
I use a Procon Model 1, driven by a common beverage pump motor, mounted under the kitchen sink. I can provide more detail as needed.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Cwilli62

#67: Post by Cwilli62 »

Thanks for the info, Peter. I'll have to see if 8 can convince my partner to let me move my setup. Not likely. And we're renting, so I'll have to be clever about I make holes in the kitchen!

#68: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to Cwilli62 »

Most sinks already have a hole. Mine did. Renting and owning.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Cwilli62

#69: Post by Cwilli62 »

Another inquiry...

Would it be a monumental task or perhaps even literally impossible to figure out how modify the machine to give data like the Naked "Smart Espresso Profiler?"

#70: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to Cwilli62 »

You would have to reverse engineer the source code for the machine and then datalog it..., or replace it's controller with an Arduino, and datalog that.... So pretty tough...

BUT... fear not...

If you are talking about that bluetooth dongle that Jim Hoffman reviewed attached to a Cremina with a specially drilled piston shaft, that records pressure via Bluetooth to an app on your smart phone, it should be pretty easy to plumb one into the BDB and use it. So, you would be using the data generated by that device, rather than the data gathered natively by the BDB.

That should be easy as pie... if not easier.

-Peter
LMWDP #553