Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 60

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jasiano

#591: Post by jasiano »

anyone seen/bought this 'new' dispersion disc & screen kit? Stainless steel instead of brass, would it help mitigate any corrosion issues?
-Jason

Down Under

topcat2001

#592: Post by topcat2001 »

Bought a used 920XL yesterday roughly 3+ years old with 2400 shots on it. Would like to thank the many people on this thread such as prussell with all the useful maintenance info which were instrumental in giving me confidence to buy it. So far everything seems good except for drippy steam wand when pump is coming to pressure. Not a huge issue right now so will get to it when I am bored. Is there a grouphead gasket replacement video or post? Is it as simple as prying it out after taking the shower screen or does it require opening the machine?

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Zhaozg

#593: Post by Zhaozg »

Just purchased 1 year old 920xl with 960 shot counts after I went through his thread. Thank you everyone for such an informative discussion.
I do have 2 questions:
1. Yearly O ring replacement : will this also apply to newer version of machine ? From top post, the design was changed in 2018 ..

2. Previous owner just used tap water. The machine is heating up normally now. Do I need to descale then change to scale free water or I just change to proper water without descale?

Thank in advance!

luvmy40

#594: Post by luvmy40 »

Zhaozg wrote:Just purchased 1 year old 920xl with 960 shot counts after I went through his thread. Thank you everyone for such an informative discussion.
I do have 2 questions:
1. Yearly O ring replacement : will this also apply to newer version of machine ? From top post, the design was changed in 2018 ..
The orings usually last around two years before you might start seeing leaks. The jury is out on the newer versions
with the slightly different line attachments as to if the seals will be any more durable.

2. Previous owner just used tap water. The machine is heating up normally now. Do I need to descale then change to scale free water or I just change to proper water without descale?
DO NOT RUN THE DESCALE FUNCTION!!! You can take the three way solenoid off and look for signs of scale. If
everything works correctly now and you are getting good results, I'd just start using non scaling water.

Thank in advance!

Zhaozg

#595: Post by Zhaozg »

@ luvmy40 really appreciate your help!

topcat2001

#596: Post by topcat2001 »

Wanted to see how reflective the pressure gauge was in comparison to actual pressure at the group head. So I riggged this contraption up. The pressure I measured at the group with this seemed about half a bar higher than the built in gauge. So now I am more inclined to adjust the OPV since built in gauge shows 10.5 bars with blind basket. Per James Hoffman the ideal would be 9 bars at the pump or 8 at the grouphead.

BaristaBob

#597: Post by BaristaBob »

maximatica wrote:I did the (re)research about 6-8 months back and there were some links to charts that showed that for this usage the EPDM were the best bet.

I think the Aflas are somewhat the same product.

A 100 year supply for $10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D ... UTF8&psc=1

They are harder than the OEM but with some determination they do finally get seated.

(I just saw that the seller now lists Aflas rings in the same size too, lower on the page)

HTH.

Thanks,

M./
You performed your homework well, AFLAS are the best IMO. Developed for NASA after the Challenger disaster, I have replaced every one of my original o-rings with AFLAS and none have leaked, and I doubt they ever will. They are more difficult to install because they don't compress easily, but I found that a little food grade silicone grease helps.

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
BaristaBob

#598: Post by BaristaBob »

jasiano wrote:anyone seen/bought this 'new' dispersion disc & screen kit? Stainless steel instead of brass, would it help mitigate any corrosion issues?
Hi Jasiano, not sure anyone replied to your question but here goes. This kit appears to be a great find. The blue silicon gasket is probably the one made by Cafelat and is an excellent replacement. The IMS shower screen is a good replacement too. The shower block is another question. It's better than the poly-plastic oem block from a durability stand point, but it's thermal stability aspects are different and may play games with your group head temperature stability, which for the Breville 920 is top notch.

Hope that helps.

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

luvmy40

#599: Post by luvmy40 » replying to BaristaBob »

I just received that IMS screen, SS dispersion block and Cafelat gasket.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B095K94F7N? ... ct_details
After a couple days, I can say it was well worth $52.43 USD
The SS block may not be necessary but does not seem to have any detrimental effects on my shots.
The Cafelat gasket should be a required upgrade. No more twisting the portafilter to 4:00. it locks up tight at 6:00
I have no opinion yet on the IMS Screen. It certainly does it's job well, whether it's quantifiably better than the stock screen, I cannot say.

jasiano

#600: Post by jasiano »

Cheers guys for your thoughts.
I bought an IMS screen separately but like many had issues with it fitting to the stock dispersion disk with any type of screw because it was either too looose or would snap back.
Saw the SS screen 'kit' and was mighty tempted just so I could get the IMS screen seated properly for no reason other than pretty droplets lol.
But it's a cheap(ish) upgrade and seems the gasket is worth it as well.

Thanks.
-Jason

Down Under