Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 44

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaveB

#431: Post by DaveB »

OK, you guys have about convinced me to install the Cafelat gasket a bought months ago along with the Robot. Any tips for getting the old one out or is it pretty straightforward?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#432: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to DaveB »

After removing the screw and shower disc and screen, there's pretty much nothing holding it up there, unless it gunked in by coffee oils and such.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BaristaBob

#433: Post by BaristaBob »

DaveB wrote:OK, you guys have about convinced me to install the Cafelat gasket a bought months ago along with the Robot. Any tips for getting the old one out or is it pretty straightforward?
Just as Peter said, nothing holds it...maybe some coffee gunk. Once my gasket would not drop out so I used a jeweler's screw driver around the edge to free it up. That's it.
Just make sure you insert the new gasket with the ridges facing toward the drip tray.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

DaveB

#434: Post by DaveB »

Thanks guys - mission accomplished...

Compared to the original, this one feels TIGHT. It's right on the verge of moving the machine when it reaches 6 o'clock. Does it loosen up at all? Looks like I won't have to worry about it spinning out, which happens occasionally with the original gasket.

#435: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to DaveB »

Normal. It will loosen. And it might get more slippery with coffee oils unless you wash it with a little soap and water every so often.

While you are at it, make sure you don't jack the screw in too tight. I leave mine loose enough that I can still turn the shower screen with finger pressure. That will help protect against cracking the dispersion disc.

Also, since you probably hadn't had yours apart in a while, how was the cleanliness/coffee gunk situation around your group? I take mine off every couple of weeks or so for a quick wipe. As long as you don't let things go too far, a quick wipe with a washcloth or sturdy paper towel is about all you need.

Nice shot mirror. I think I have a similar one. Mine is in the magnet slot where the stock tamper was. How is yours set up? Then again Maybe it was you that turned me on to it? I forget. :wink:

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Ash_AU

#436: Post by Ash_AU »

BaristaBob wrote:Hi Ash,
Sorry I'm late on my reply. Glad to hear that increasing the voltage to the pump has it working for you again. Looks like Peter has answered all your other questions. He is Mr. BDB in my book.

Bob
Thanks Bob

Well, I've been reading through this thread and it appears you're both offering very detailed info on this machine!

This DBD forum is a great resource. Maintaining an out of warranty BDB becomes prohibitively expensive if solely relying on service centres.

The increase in the pump voltage has fixed the problem 90% of the time which is great, I'm still not getting the quality of extraction I once got, so I've ordered a new pump and OPV valve (US$38) delivered..... bargain. Quite likely the pump/opv isn't the problem, but it is one more thing to rule out, and in any event, the pump should provide me with another 4000+ trouble free cups as the first one did.

Cheers,

-Ash

DaveB

#437: Post by DaveB »

pcrussell50 wrote:While you are at it, make sure you don't jack the screw in too tight. I leave mine loose enough that I can still turn the shower screen with finger pressure. That will help protect against cracking the dispersion disc.
Thanks. I was careful to use minimal torque when I installed the IMS screen the day I received the BDB; the screen could still be spun by hand. Very much unlike the motorcycle drive sprocket I replaced the either day, which requires 94 foot lbs. 8)
Also, since you probably hadn't had yours apart in a while, how was the cleanliness/coffee gunk situation around your group? I take mine off every couple of weeks or so for a quick wipe. As long as you don't let things go too far, a quick wipe with a washcloth or sturdy paper towel is about all you need.
I hadn't touched anything in 11 months, and the old gasket easily dropped out under its own weight. Here's what it looked like:

-the only cleaning I've ever done is back flushing after every session and monthly auto cleaning cycle with Calfiza powder.
Nice shot mirror. I think I have a similar one. Mine is in the magnet slot where the stock tamper was. How is yours set up? Then again Maybe it was you that turned me on to it? I forget. :wink:
The shot mirror is one commonly available on Amazon, it's the 3" version. I've tried mounting it in the tamper slot, but prefer having on the lower left, as it works better with the LED light I'm using.

Mirror:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z ... UTF8&psc=1

Light:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y ... UTF8&psc=1

BaristaBob

#438: Post by BaristaBob »

DaveB wrote:Thanks guys - mission accomplished...

Compared to the original, this one feels TIGHT. It's right on the verge of moving the machine when it reaches 6 o'clock. Does it loosen up at all? Looks like I won't have to worry about it spinning out, which happens occasionally with the original gasket.
Dave,

You are becoming one of the "cool kids" with these mods! I see AFLAS o-rings in your future! 8)

Bob

BaristaBob

#439: Post by BaristaBob »

Ash_AU wrote:Thanks Bob

Well, I've been reading through this thread and it appears you're both offering very detailed info on this machine!

This DBD forum is a great resource. Maintaining an out of warranty BDB becomes prohibitively expensive if solely relying on service centres.

The increase in the pump voltage has fixed the problem 90% of the time which is great, I'm still not getting the quality of extraction I once got, so I've ordered a new pump and OPV valve (US$38) delivered..... bargain. Quite likely the pump/opv isn't the problem, but it is one more thing to rule out, and in any event, the pump should provide me with another 4000+ trouble free cups as the first one did.

Cheers,

-Ash
Hi Ash,

Looks like your experience mirrors mine. Just had a "miss-fire" on preinflusion yesterday, but all is good today. I think I'll replace my pump this weekend and be done with it! No need to put up with a "lazy" pump. That's a great price...good find.

Cheers,
Bob

#440: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

What about your discovery that the misfires on the lower PP settings might be due to priming/air leaks due to (you guess it) aged out o-rings?

-Peter
LMWDP #553