Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 37

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaveB

#361: Post by DaveB »

The instructions above are for the older one-piece insert, which is orders of magnitude more difficult to replace than the newer two-piece. I'm pretty sure the metal collar retaining piece should drop straight down from the group head when the screws are removed. The whole point of switching to the newer two-piece system was to (greatly) simplify the replacement process.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

jevenator

#362: Post by jevenator »

dlcx wrote:
I tried undoing the screws but the collar seems firmly attached so assume it requires the whole group head to be removed from the top.
Wanted to double check before going down that path :)

Thanks for the advice!
No, the whole group head does not need to be removed from the top.
DaveB wrote:The instructions above are for the older one-piece insert, which is orders of magnitude more difficult to replace than the newer two-piece. I'm pretty sure the metal collar retaining piece should drop straight down from the group head when the screws are removed. The whole point of switching to the newer two-piece system was to (greatly) simplify the replacement process.
No, the metal collor will not drop straight down.

The screws are there to hold the two plastic collar pieces that come off. You can see there are holes in them. They sit in a particular position. My mind is a bit foggy since it's been a while since I've done it but they come out a very particular angle. They should be loose after you unscrew the screws and wiggle around and can slide. So you kind of have to lift and slide it out to where there is a larger opening and it just comes out. Putting it in is the reverse order. Shake em a bit to break them loose in case they may have caked on tight.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#363: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

dlcx wrote:Hi all - I have a BES920 that I've had for a number of years and it has recently started leaking when pulling a shot.

Looks like the group head collar plastic insert is cracked.

The collar has the 4 screws underneath it.

I believe this means it can use the 2 piece replacement collar insert if I'm not mistaken (vs the original 1 piece collar insert)

Question.. how best to replace this collar insert (if BES920 has the 4 screws on the collar)?
Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Remove the screws, pry out the worn inserts. They pop out with a snap. Snap the new ones in. Replace the screws. Done.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

dlcx

#364: Post by dlcx »

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yeah I definitely don't want to make a mountain if possible :)

Just to clarify a bit further, the collar insert I currently have in my machine is the 1 piece full circle.
The collar itself has the 4 screws though as mentioned when taking them off it still all feels very attached.

Since I have the 1 piece collar insert does that force me to go the mountain approach and pull the group head out to access it?
I assume in future when I move to the 2 piece collar insert I can do the pop in/pop out approach.

Thanks again, I just joined and it's awesome getting your replies! Really appreciate it.

DaveB

#365: Post by DaveB »

jevenator wrote:No, the metal collor will not drop straight down.

The screws are there to hold the two plastic collar pieces that come off. You can see there are holes in them. They sit in a particular position. My mind is a bit foggy since it's been a while since I've done it but they come out a very particular angle. They should be loose after you unscrew the screws and wiggle around and can slide. So you kind of have to lift and slide it out to where there is a larger opening and it just comes out. Putting it in is the reverse order. Shake em a bit to break them loose in case they may have caked on tight.
pcrussell50 wrote:Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Remove the screws, pry out the worn inserts. They pop out with a snap. Snap the new ones in. Replace the screws. Done.
Thanks for the corrections guys. I searched high and low for specific info such as this and came up empty handed. Could we add this to the OP of this thread? I bought the two-piece inserts a couple years ago, and likely would have been stumped if I ever had to replace them. Than you! 8)
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

#366: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

athoangphan wrote: Two, we could potentially plumb the machine to a bigger tank by removing the bottom of the machine will allow access to the pipe that routes water from existing tank to the pump. Running a longer pipe and a quick disconnect allows for the possible of plumbing the machine and retaining the "empty tank" sensor.
Always nice to have options. Good research to share. Especially good info on gaining access to the back of the front panel, (for pressure gauge), and the bottom of the machine. Nicely done, and great photos as well.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#367: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

pcrussell50 wrote:Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Remove the screws, pry out the worn inserts. They pop out with a snap. Snap the new ones in. Replace the screws. Done.

-Peter
Just a quick expansion on this... the material the inserts are made of is not just a simple plastic. It is a very strong, engineered plastic that I think is some variation of GRP. You can only place them in, in the right way and they fit firmly in their place with a firm "snap". So you might have to fiddle a little and use a bamboo chop stick or something to get a good angle to press and pry, snapping them in and out.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

jevenator

#368: Post by jevenator »

dlcx wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies! Yeah I definitely don't want to make a mountain if possible :)

Just to clarify a bit further, the collar insert I currently have in my machine is the 1 piece full circle.
The collar itself has the 4 screws though as mentioned when taking them off it still all feels very attached.

Since I have the 1 piece collar insert does that force me to go the mountain approach and pull the group head out to access it?
I assume in future when I move to the 2 piece collar insert I can do the pop in/pop out approach.

Thanks again, I just joined and it's awesome getting your replies! Really appreciate it.

If your group head looks like this. The 4 screws hold the pieces which secure your portafilter. That's what is "easily" replaced. There still will be some black plastic left in the other areas but replaced are there smaller inserts and like Peter said a chopstick can come in handy.

If you do not have the 4 holes then you are replaced only piece. The entire thing. Which then you take apart from the top.

Also I replaced mine because I did not like locking the PF past 90degrees since it was worn out.

dlcx

#369: Post by dlcx »

Thanks - mine looks the same as your pic.

I actually had a proper look just now and it *does* seem it is the 2 piece collar insert installed! I'll try see if I can remove each piece once unscrewed.

Cheers guys!

jevenator

#370: Post by jevenator »

In reference to my post on #340 I heated up the machine and then pulled on the PTFE. It slid out and followed a bunch of hottish water that was pressurized. So be careful.

The brass ferrule is stuck in there so most likely I will just be buying new PTFE tubing, I have a spare brass ferule and the little elongated metal tube that goes inside. The stuck piece, my dad is going to bring it to a former jeweler and he will probably tap it and unscrew or drill it out carefully to take it out. Should do the job.