Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 22

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coffee-yvr

#211: Post by coffee-yvr »

DaDudster wrote:I did.. I think the Parker solenoid has probably made the bigger difference in terms of quietness. I'm not sure the vibration noise from the vibe pump itself is necessarily quieter, but y'all were definitely right that it's a much more pleasant sound.
As someone who came from a Barista Express machine to the BDB, I can't imagine how much more quiet it can get :lol:

Solenoid

#212: Post by Solenoid »

pcrussell50 wrote:You are referring to the U-shaped steel bracket that is holding the steam valve against the side of the machine?

-Peter
Yes, that's the one. Guess I could try some heat to see if that works, but really don't want to strip the head out of those screws.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#213: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to Solenoid »

You are down to basic mechanic'ing skills now. I forget without looking into my machine, but are those screws threaded into metal or plastic. If plastic, don't use heat. The next step most would do would be to try an nice fresh sharp screwdriver tip.

And if it is corrosion that has frozen them, put it back with some lube so it doesn't happen again.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

grufromtheloo

#214: Post by grufromtheloo »

Solenoid wrote:Yes, that's the one. Guess I could try some heat to see if that works, but really don't want to strip the head out of those screws.
Do those screws look like phillips? If so try a JIS bit or driver. At least a couple screws in my machine were JIS. Picked up a JIS set on Amazon for approx 20cad.

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anyth ... llips.html

Solenoid

#215: Post by Solenoid »

It's metal to metal, so I may try the heat. Thanks for the info on the JIS screws, didn't know about this -will order the drivers since it seems they are safe to use on Phillps head screws, but you can't go the other way around.

jgordon311

#216: Post by jgordon311 »

I've had the BES920XL for about 4 years now. This morning I found what I believe to be the plastic grouphead collar insert broken, or at least I think it's broken. I did a normal short flush and water started coming out very oddly from the grouphead and kind of splashed out. I found an old thread with some folks talking about replacing the insert and I followed the link to here: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/colla ... 10640.html

I don't think this is the right part as some people also pointed out on that same thread. Any ideas on where to get the actual "whole" ring part?

#217: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to jgordon311 »

The "whole ring" style is the old design that is now obsolete. You have two choices:

1) you can buy a new group for about $160 and replace it yourself. It's a fairly big though straightforward job (and it comes with a new portafilter too). It will be of the new design that uses the two piece insert scheme that is easy to do.

2) Send it in to Breville. For the fixed fee, which includes free shipping both ways AND they even pack it for you, they will either fix it or send you a brand new machine. My guess is it a bigger job than they want to pay for and they send you a new one.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

cccpu

#218: Post by cccpu »

pcrussell50 wrote: 1) you can buy a new group for about $160 and replace it yourself. It's a fairly big though straightforward job (and it comes with a new portafilter too). It will be of the new design that uses the two piece insert scheme that is easy to do.
What kind of portafilter? :shock:
LMWDP #583

Reidspro

#219: Post by Reidspro »

Hey everyone, I'm curious about the pattern of water coming from the grouphead. I'm seeing water mostly coming from the edges only, donut style, but I'm not getting donut extractions. I'm wondering if this is common or something with the shower screen/dispersion disc? Ran clean cycle tonight and took everything apart to install the cafelat gasket when I noticed this happening. Thoughts?

#220: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

cccpu wrote:What kind of portafilter? :shock:
The regular spouted one. Unfortunately. Though with a 58mm hole saw with carbide grit or carbide teeth, you can make it a bottomless. Use a good strong corded drill or one of the high voltage battery drills.

Mine came out like so:

You can also see where these portafilters are ^^^solid stainless steel^^^ and not plated brass

-Peter
LMWDP #553