Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 16

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
grufromtheloo

#151: Post by grufromtheloo »

Ok, reporting back on the cover screws by the group head. I ordered a pozi/JIS set of Amazon. Came in today. The #2 JIS bit removed the screws without issue. All my phillips #2 were jumping out. If you are having a hard time getting these out look into JIS #2 screwdriver or bits. JIS are supposed to have a dot to indicate, but apparently this isn't 100% of the time. Given these machines are made in China and JIS is prevalent all over East Asia it is my belief at least these two screws are JIS.

here is what I bought: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E55 ... UTF8&psc=1

about JIS vs Phillips: https://chapmanmfg.com/blogs/news/phill ... difference

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#152: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to grufromtheloo »

Above and beyond, with excellent tech, mate. Thank you.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

grufromtheloo

#153: Post by grufromtheloo »

pcrussell50 wrote:Above and beyond, with excellent tech, mate. Thank you.
Call it self interest. I want my BDB to last 7 years and I need the community alive and thriving for that. ;)

#154: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to grufromtheloo »

That was my thought eight and a half years ago when I got mine. :wink: A vibrant and thriving community is a huge benefit here.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

grufromtheloo

#155: Post by grufromtheloo »

Here's a peek at my new 2020 BDB. Looks like the sensors are still o-ring with clip though I understand these don't leak too often from posts here. Just in case, has anyone figured out which o-ring size they require? The water lines are attached via what looks like stainless nuts I have seen in some other recent pics. Does anyone know what's under those nuts or if they are prone to leaking? Looks pretty standard to me though, no big surprises unless any sees something I missed.

IMAWriter

#156: Post by IMAWriter »

pcrussell50 wrote:When Breville sent me a brand new -920 back in mid-2018 (because my trusty old -900 finally stopped pre infusing), I had those screws out not only the VERY day it arrived, but I took them out before I even filled the water tank and plugged it in. And they haven't been back in since. :mrgreen:

-Peter
:lol:

lancealot

#157: Post by lancealot »

grufromtheloo wrote:Looks like the sensors are still o-ring with clip though I understand these don't leak too often from posts here. Just in case, has anyone figured out which o-ring size they require?
probe o-rings are 010

BaristaBob

#158: Post by BaristaBob »

pcrussell50 wrote:Wow! Can't ask for more than that.

BTW, re solenoids:

The BDB solenoid form factor is a common one that a lot of other machines use too. So... It is my belief that the particular Olab (Italian) solenoid that Breville specified is less "premium" on the inside than others that you can buy of this form factor. Which is why they only cost $37 before tax and shipping. Because of this, I think they have a shorter life before they begin buzzing. And even when they aren't buzzing, the hum is still fairly loud, which is extra noticeable to because my rotary conversion with the pump under the kitchen sink, is very quiet. For that reason, I have been using a more expensive Parker solenoid that some other machines use, for the past few months. It has ruby seals on the inside, which are higher end than the Viton seals in the stock solenoid, and the regular solenoid hum (not the buzz) is quieter than stock. What we don't know for sure, is if this one will last longer before it starts buzzing, than the stock ones. If I had to guess, I bet it will last longer. Time will tell.

Anyway, it's nice to discover over time, that the BDB uses fairly standard form factor parts that other machines use, and is not so much proprietary as the anti-BDB urban legend would make it out to be.

-Peter
Peter,

Can you throw me a link for that Parker solenoid? I'd like to order one for my stockpile of spare parts. 8)

Cheers,
Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

#159: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

Let me dig it up. But before I do, do NOT throw away your PTFE solenoid washers, even from your old solenoid. Those things are the bomb.com. Way better than elastomeric o-rings that a lot of the others use, (including Parker itself). Notwithstanding the techno gizmo'ery with vibe pump control and multiple PID thermal stability, Those seals my be Breville's single greatest contribution to basic ordinary espresso plumbing.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BaristaBob

#160: Post by BaristaBob replying to pcrussell50 »

I did save them as part of my "used" parts collection...along with my old steam valve. :wink:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"