Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 108

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
drumm1089

#1071: Post by drumm1089 »

I am impressed you got the panels off

Maddog113

#1072: Post by Maddog113 »

BaristaBob wrote:I was under the impression these newer type nut fittings weren't suppose to leak. If you are correct about where the leak is coming from, and I assume you are correct (you did warm it up with the top off and saw steam/water actually coming out from the nut?), this is troubling. My machine is much older (just clip fasteners). Can't really help, except you could try using a little food grade lube down the center while it's up to temp. Then wait until the machine is completely cooled down and see if it will turn after that.
Okay so I've warmed it up with the top off again, and have never been so happy to be wrong. Apparently it was spraying onto the nut from the probe next to it but I couldn't see that when I looked last time. So hopefully just the standard o ring replacement will resolve the issue

BaristaBob

#1073: Post by BaristaBob replying to Maddog113 »

That's certainly great to hear, not that you have a leak, but at least it's not from the nut fasted tube. Glad you found the leak!!

Makes me wonder if anyone on this list has had a tube leak that was secured by these newer nut fasteners?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

allenmacyoung

#1074: Post by allenmacyoung »

Hi BDB owners, I can use some help here. I got mine about 3 years ago and I've been loving it. Recently, the steam wand started to leak water and the steam power has been down to the point that I cannot really steam milk well. I opened it up and checked the valves at the steam pump and at the steam dial, no leak. Then I opened up the steam wand itself and I saw this.

This image below shows the plastic thing and its position relates to the rest of the steam wand.

This is what's inside. As you can see it's pretty damaged. My guess is that this is causing all the problems.

I think it'll be an easy fix as long as I can get the replacement part. But I cannot find it anywhere. I did a little bit search here and couldn't find anything, either. And I don't exactly what it's called.

Can someone help? Thank you in advance!

mcudogs

#1075: Post by mcudogs »

Water leaking from the steam wand is due to a leaking steam valve not that seal. A small steam leak from the valve allows the steam to condense on the cold steam wand and it leaks out the tip as water. If you flip the seals on the steam valve it will probably fix the problem.

allenmacyoung

#1076: Post by allenmacyoung replying to mcudogs »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did that and I don't see water leaking out of the tip anymore. Hooray!

I still feel the steam power is a bit weaker than before, unfortunately. I also found the part name and number of that damaged seal in my previous photo. Unfortunately, it's discontinued. I feel the best is to replace it or find a substitute. You don't think it matters?
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ball- ... 10533.html

Maddog113

#1077: Post by Maddog113 »

BaristaBob wrote:That's certainly great to hear, not that you have a leak, but at least it's not from the nut fasted tube. Glad you found the leak!!
I'm beginning to think there's a couple of things going on. Replaced the culprit o ring and then sprung a leak in the same on the other side of the same boiler. Replaced that one as well.

I'm still getting runaway heating... I can hear possible bubbling, I think from the back right quadrant, but cannot see any corrosion or leaking.
The machine is also not cooling down much, for example after being off for 24hrs, it was still sitting above 80deg Celsius.

Opening the hot water outlet can help bring the temp down, however it became spluttery and steamy.
Also, after I turn off the hot water outlet, it sort of puffs
I can see that the right boiler outlet looks like it has scale build up.
I've also noticed that the top half of one of the pipes looks tacky and there is a small amount of residue outside of the pipe (circled in green)

Is any of this normal? Or if it's not, any ideas how to fix? I appreciate any help because I have no idea what to do now

mcudogs

#1078: Post by mcudogs »

It looks like you have a faulty triac board. You will need good electrical skills to replace it.

mcudogs

#1079: Post by mcudogs »

allenmacyoung wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I just did that and I don't see water leaking out of the tip anymore. Hooray!

I still feel the steam power is a bit weaker than before, unfortunately. I also found the part name and number of that damaged seal in my previous photo. Unfortunately, it's discontinued. I feel the best is to replace it or find a substitute. You don't think it matters?
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ball- ... 10533.html
I don't think the seal needs replacing, that material will mold to the ball on the wand under pressure and heat. Have you cleaned the holes in the steam wand tip. You can soak it in descalar and coffee cleaner to get out hardened milk residues.

luvmy40

#1080: Post by luvmy40 »

Maddog113 wrote:I'm beginning to think there's a couple of things going on. Replaced the culprit o ring and then sprung a leak in the same on the other side of the same boiler. Replaced that one as well.

I'm still getting runaway heating... I can hear possible bubbling, I think from the back right quadrant, but cannot see any corrosion or leaking.
The machine is also not cooling down much, for example after being off for 24hrs, it was still sitting above 80deg Celsius.

Opening the hot water outlet can help bring the temp down, however it became spluttery and steamy.

video

Also, after I turn off the hot water outlet, it sort of puffs

video

I can see that the right boiler outlet looks like it has scale build up.
I've also noticed that the top half of one of the pipes looks tacky and there is a small amount of residue outside of the pipe (circled in green)

Is any of this normal? Or if it's not, any ideas how to fix? I appreciate any help because I have no idea what to do now
I would recoomend just replacing all the O-Rings in the steam circuit and leaving the top off for a few days to let things dry out. It does sound like your triac board is misbehaving. It may dry out and be good, or you might need to replace a triac or the whole board.

That sticky orange/yellow hose is normal.