Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 101

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luvmy40

#1001: Post by luvmy40 »

Have you checked your error log?
Have you opened the machine to check for leaking o-rings?
Did you get the machine new or used?
I'd start by openeing her up, looking for leaks and letting evertything dry out for a few days.
The dripping water spigot can likely be fixed by adjusting the knob on the water valve.
moc21 wrote:Hi all, I've owned a Breville Dual Boiler for about a year but the machine has stopped working. Since the get go the machine would drip water slowly from the hot water outlet whenever I pulled a shot of espresso. Although this was annoying (specially since the hot water outlet basically lines up right over my scale LCD), I overlooked it since I could pull shots of espresso.

However, a few months ago I started to notice that I had to refill the water tank more and more frequently. Then, the hot water outlet would work for a few seconds and then would stop working even though there was still water in the tank. Finally, one day water started coming out as a high-pressure mist out of the water outlet and water just gushes out of the group head like when you run the kitchen faucet. A couple of vids of the issue ( water outlet coming out pressurized https://im3.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-3-2e8ff6fea2.gif and grouphead rate of flow https://im3.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-3-0aa3fda84a.gif )
I reached out to Breville and they suggested that I do an advanced descaling to solve the issue. I am a bit confused since Ive seen posts that say to NEVER descale this machine. Should I go ahead and descale as Breville support suggested? Or should I press that they service the machine instead?

Flaschenbrief

#1002: Post by Flaschenbrief »

moved the question to a new topic

snorkrat

#1003: Post by snorkrat »

Does anybody here know if there is a 5v or 12v supply somewhere on the main board that is on when the machine is plugged in to a wall socket, but not turned on by the front button? I'm looking to install a wifi relay that runs off 5v so that I can simulate the pushing of the power button.

sbolinger

#1004: Post by sbolinger »

Hi everyone,

This thread has so much information in it-thanks to everyone who has contributed. I haven't found anyone having the exact same issue as I'm having, but please feel free to redirect me if it's already been covered.

I have a Breville Oracle BES980 and it basically just keeps heating up beyond its set temperature (93c) until it eventually shows an error. The one cup light continues to blink so I can't pull shots. It's as though it never thinks is reaches the target temp. That said, it will intermittently show the much higher temp on the screen, so something is properly detecting it. Separately, the steam seems to work fine whilst this is going on.

It's unfortunately out of warranty.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
-Stephen

leungdeung

#1005: Post by leungdeung »

Hi, having issues with my dual boiler not producing any flow and am hoping someone can help, diagnostics are listed below.

1. Group head and hot water have no water flow. Steam wand works.
2. Have 11 readings of error 8 - water flow error.
3. I can hear the pump, it sounds normal and ramps up.
4. No pressure is given on the gauge.
5. Everything else seems to be fine, the machine heats up correctly, the boiler is at the correct temperature. Roughly 1000 shots registered.

I think it may be a solenoid problem however I'm not sure how I can potentially test this or what I should explore before looking to purchase parts.

sternalot

#1006: Post by sternalot »

Anyone have even an inkling when are they going to refresh the BDB? Most of their lineup has turned over at least once, but the BDB has remained the same.

Gretr

#1007: Post by Gretr »

** found my answer so deleting the question **

sternalot

#1008: Post by sternalot »

Does anyone know what size or where to get the washers for the couple tubes that go into the steam boiler? I know some people say they don't matter, but I just had to replace a few o-rings, where I hadn't reinstalled the washer, that I had replaced just last year I lost one of them in the depths of the machine, and I would like to have more on hand for the eventual failure of the other side.

RedDBD

#1009: Post by RedDBD »

Question on those that have successfully descaled their dual boiler. I know general rule is use soft water, and you'll have no need to descale, although I recently purchased a used machine.

It seems most problems can be attributed to either
a) Firmware issues with newer batches prior to v3, causing the machine to heat up empty boilers, thus cooking the thermal fuse.
b) Turning the descale screws quickly, releasing too much pressure too quickly, also blowing a fuse.

Any tips for successfully descaling my new to me 2017 machine?

ryry

#1010: Post by ryry »

snorkrat wrote:Does anybody here know if there is a 5v or 12v supply somewhere on the main board that is on when the machine is plugged in to a wall socket, but not turned on by the front button? I'm looking to install a wifi relay that runs off 5v so that I can simulate the pushing of the power button.
Nice mod idea! You might be able to explore this by probing with a DMM, however you'll want to be careful that you don't overload any of the voltage regulators. It may be safest to tap into the 120V and run your own AC to DC source.