Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#11: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

klund wrote:I'm replying to 1. get notifications on this thread, and 2. to say "thank you!" for continuing your yeoman's work for the BDB community. I've spent most of my online time in the 3D printing and board game communities, and since my BDB was last replaced this spring, I haven't had any issues to worry about. Well done!
Hey Kev. Great to hear from you. I got my new machine in Fall 2018. But guess what? I almost immediately removed it's brand new steam valve and put in that ratty old leaking one you sent me. Why? Because I figured out how to re seal it without even any spare parts. It's been almost a year now, and your ratty old steam ball valve is still working like new. You can buy new seals for them, and they are dirt cheap, (under $10 for a 100), but in reality, you don't even need them. You can re use the existing one. At this point I feel I can safely say that the end user does not need to try to buy a new valve when one leaks. The originals are totally and easily rebuildable.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

klund

#12: Post by klund »

pcrussell50 wrote:Hey Kev. Great to hear from you. I got my new machine in Fall 2018. But guess what? I almost immediately removed it's brand new steam valve and put in that ratty old leaking one you sent me. Why? Because I figured out how to re seal it without even any spare parts. It's been almost a year now, and your ratty old steam ball valve is still working like new. You can buy new seals for them, and they are dirt cheap, (under $10 for a 100), but in reality, you don't even need them. You can re use the existing one. At this point I feel I can safely say that the end user does not need to try to buy a new on when it leaks. The originals are totally and easily rebuildable.
That's awesome. I know where to go when mine eventually starts to drip... drip... drip...

I've looked at all your other mods, and if I ever get a spare moment, I might try them. But right now my spare moments are few and far between. Keeping 3 3D printers running takes up most of my energy.

Advertisement

#13: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to klund »

I don't have to tell you, the BDB with it's programmable pre infusion is already amazingly capable. If you have the grinder for it, you can pre infuse at the minimum pressure, for 60-70s if you want, before cutting loose with the regular pump power. That alone is huge for muting strong acids in todays super light roasts, and bringing out the other flavors masked by it. That is pretty much what Slayer does. So don't stress yourself about the mods. They are nice, but you can still go very far just stock.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mlunsford27

#14: Post by mlunsford27 »

Good stuff, been recently interested in a BDB and was actually thinking about DMing you to ask about the mods you have done to see hw easy they would be if I actually bought a BDB. I think paired with my Vario, which I got because of some previous posts/threads you wrote on the high level of alignment and performance of this grinder at the pricepoint, would make some pretty great espresso.

Basically you read my mind and thanks for taking time for the posts.

SaqibSaab

#15: Post by SaqibSaab »

Does Breville take BDBs that have been modded for repairs, and with same policy of if they can't fix it they'll replace it? I modded my BDB with a brass OPV and new brass pump. It's in need of some fixing, and before I reached out to Breville I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

#16: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to SaqibSaab »

I would put the old pump and OPV back. Simply because you paid good money for them... probably close to $100 all told. And I am confident that if Breville replaces your machine they will not put the brass parts into the new machines and your money will be lost. Plus you don't know how they will respond to the brass parts if they decide to just fix. On a much smaller scale, someone sent his in with a nice $35 IMS competition shower screen and they sent his machine back with a stock screen. $35 lost.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

SaqibSaab

#17: Post by SaqibSaab »

Thanks! I recently replaced my o-rings and leaky machine (BES900XL) was fixed! However, after about a week, the machine will not heat past 153 F°. And it sounds like it's not filling up the steam boiler with water, no sound of the pump. Any tips? Thanks!

Advertisement

#18: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to SaqibSaab »

In order to keep this thread clean and short, I will post my thoughts in the de facto BDB owner's thread, the "five+ years on". Here: Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on

-Peter
LMWDP #553

IMAWriter

#19: Post by IMAWriter »

Hi, I'm contemplating the purchase of a used BDB. I just wanted to make sure this IMS mod with brass plate looks as it should. The owner seems like a very straight shooter, and explained that he made the switch....but has 2 plastic backing plates, and the OEM screen. Thanks for taking a peek.
RJ

nindustrial

#20: Post by nindustrial »

I think this is a common mod most owners try to eke out some performance enhancement (jury is out whether it really helps). The plastic guards are useful backup parts. For something used, I'm sure more experienced owners have better advice but I would suggest, at a minimum test the following:
- warms up ok and holds steady for a while (20 min?)
- no drips from steam wand or hot water spigot
- if allowed to open to top, while wamed up, look/hear for obvious sprayers or pressure leaks.
- does the portafilter lock in smoothly or is it rough.
- check the shot count and fault codes using the factory menu-ref Breville Dual Boiler - fixing leaks and other maintenance). Take codes with a grain of salt...
- any other tips, guys?