Breville Dual Boiler Learning Curve? - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luvmy40

#71: Post by luvmy40 »

DaveB,
with my grind, dose, prep dialed in(9 bar @ full power), PP set at 55. I get 2.5-3 bar during manual PI, a ramp up to 9 bar+/- when I release the manual button and I can dial it back to around 5 bar without tripping the water spigot cut out on my unmodified BDB.

I've been getting some great shots with this method from a very nice Ethiopian from SM. I honestly don't remember which varietal and it doesn't matter as SM has been out of stock on it since I found I like it so much!

IMAWriter

#72: Post by IMAWriter »

Ah, advanced features. Even after RTFM-ing, had to re--read. I can ignore the hardness thing, but will set to 2 for grins. Restarting the machine to fill steam boiler...I hope.
Steam boiler filling, waiting for indicator light. Will use modified Pavlis water for now till the sensors see I'm an OK bloke. It's a bigger machine in person. Arrived in perfect shape.
I will do the pressure tes thing when I'm sorted out. BTW, they set these things at about 10 (OPV)? Do I need to crack her open tomorrow and reduce that to about 9? I've read so on these threads. I've saved about every link and thread possible. I find the right one and perform the task,

In maybe 2 weeks, I'll do the Slayer (#3) mod.My eyes ain't so good with cheaters on (double cataract surgery), but I'll do my best. I want to order those forceps first..though I cant remember whether they are need for THAT mod. Seal reversal, yes...no?

DaveB

#73: Post by DaveB »

RTFM was my favorite acronym back when Usenet was king. 8)

As I recall, when you first set up the BDB, you're supposed to run the pump for the group, water valve, and then steam - one at a time for 30 seconds to prime the system. I wouldn't worry about taxing either of the pumps.
IMAWriter wrote:
I will do the pressure tes thing when I'm sorted out. BTW, they set these things at about 10 (OPV)? Do I need to crack her open tomorrow and reduce that to about 9? I've read so on these threads. I've saved about every link and thread possible. I find the right one and perform the task,

In maybe 2 weeks, I'll do the Slayer (#3) mod.My eyes ain't so good with cheaters on (double cataract surgery), but I'll do my best. I want to order those forceps first..though I cant remember whether they are need for THAT mod. Seal reversal, yes...no?
10 or 10.5 is about right with the blind basket. This will generally get you 9 bar during a typical shot.

You can do the Slayer Mod without forceps. You can use needle nose pliers and be careful not to drop. I dropped a clip and simply put the machine upside down and gently shook. :D The forceps give a bit of extra security. By seal reversal I think you're referring to the leaky steam valve fix? You shouldn't have to worry about that for a good while if ever, and in any case no special tools are required beyond a 6mm Allen wrench.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

IMAWriter

#74: Post by IMAWriter »

DaveB wrote:RTFM was my favorite acronym back when Usenet was king. 8)

As I recall, when you first set up the BDB, you're supposed to run the pump, water valve, and steam one at a time for 30 seconds to prime the system. I wouldn't worry about taxing the pump!
Yep did that...but the steam boiler hadn't filled after 10 minutes. I added some higher TDS water...all good..
Happily, the steam is pretty dry, though not high powered. Dry ann slow is better than wet and sloppy.

Someone asked...my grinder is a Sette 270 (with an added shim.). Baratza did a free update for me. I had a Forte and Mahlkönig K30 Vario...I prefer the Sette for espresso. Good enough for now. I variable at a time.
Gonna pull a couple dummy shots with a meh homeroasted Ethiopian. Then, maybe a couple with my home roasted Panama Elida DP. 18 grams in, 38 grams out...to start with. I'll set up a bit of pre-infusion for grins. Jumpin' in the water!!!! Appreciate everyone here!!!! EX-Lever guy BACK into da pump.

DaveB

#75: Post by DaveB »

Awesome!! Welcome to the elite group of BDB'ers. Keep us posted.

Check out my edited post above.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

pcrussell50

#76: Post by pcrussell50 »

A friend of mine with a Bianca and aBDB did a "dry steam" test by steaming a fixed weight of milk from fridge temp to to 140degF then weighed them again. The BDB came out noticeably lighter (dryer steam) with the BDB milk vs. the Bianca. Of course the Bianca was faster. A mutual mate, an engineer with a GS/3 said the BDB dryness was borderline "world class".

He sold the Bianca and kept the BDB, btw.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Sgoldberg89

#77: Post by Sgoldberg89 »

The single most useful tip I received when I started on the BDB was holding down the manual button will force preinfusion until released at which point it'll go to full pressure. Doing this had a huge impact on my ability to dial in and I've found a sweet spot for most coffees I've tried at 15 seconds and... 65%? I honesty can't remember what my pressure setting is but I know I started low and wasn't a fan. Anyway - excited to hear about your first few shots! Enjoy!!

IMAWriter

#78: Post by IMAWriter »

All working. Thye manual is vague as to whether I can get the pre-infuse time and pressure I programmed accepted using the manual button. I would assume so. I have the Pre-infuse pressure set at 55, the time at 10. Will do more tomorrow. Had to tighten up the Sette quite a bit. running at 5 on the "Macro adjuster ring", about midway on the Micro adjuster ring. My scale..a Brewista 2 isn't waterproof. Their newer scale might be. They are great folks there. I beta'd the original Brewista scale.

BTW, I feel like such a newbie. Levers are...well...levers. It's a skill, but the lack of electronics is somehow comforting. Still, I over the top happy to have a machine in the house once more.
That said, I should have waiting till the morning. Just one cup has me flying. Cheers all.

IMAWriter

#79: Post by IMAWriter »

Sgoldberg89 wrote:The single most useful tip I received when I started on the BDB was holding down the manual button will force preinfusion until released at which point it'll go to full pressure. Doing this had a huge impact on my ability to dial in and I've found a sweet spot for most coffees I've tried at 15 seconds and... 65%? I honesty can't remember what my pressure setting is but I know I started low and wasn't a fan. Anyway - excited to hear about your first few shots! Enjoy!!
Thanks, sir. it's amazing how much I've read of the excellent BDB threads, and booked marked a bunch. But these days, my memory is a sieve. There is so much operational goodness, such as your gem that is either hidden or non existent in the manual.
I am going to re-read a bunch of postings tomorrow. BTW, my 3rd shot was quite drinkable, and, in fact was more like an MCAL shot..some flavor separation..than I would have thought. Perhaps due to less crema...which is no biggie for me. Lever guys aren't usually about crema. I enjoyed that shot. at 40 seconds, I've got a real good buzz going!

Sgoldberg89

#80: Post by Sgoldberg89 »

Nice! My practice has been to hold it down until I get the first drop in the cup (with the bottomless) and then let it go to full pressure. I found I wasn't generating 2-3 bar with 55 hence the increase to 60 or 65 - but I also learned about the press-and-hold trick only after I increased from 55, presumably it'd get there, just take longer. I'm 90% sure it uses the preinfusion pressure you have set when holding it down.

Random q - does anyone know if the slayer mod (or opening the case) voids the warranty?